Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
bubbles83

Default Can you help name these three games?

Hello everyone, within the last few days I've had a huge nostalgia craving.

There are three games from the early to mid 90's that I ONLY played via PC Gamer demo discs, and I was wondering if they are out there somewhere.

The kicker, you guessed it, I'll be darned if I could remember the names....

Game 1: A first person rail shooter, all I remember is that the graphics seemed very detailed for the time period, and it was in a futuristic setting...robots and lasers and such.

Game 2: Some sort of flight sim or futuristic mystery game or something, The entire demo consisted of flying around and blasting other flying vehicles, and there was a time limit to how long your vehicle would stay aloft, so you had to fly close to these round pylon things to recharge...again first person perspective, and either the main publisher or developer had an owl for a logo...something like Twilight or Moonlight productions or something like that....

Game 3...and the one I'm really hoping for. It's a sci-fi first person adventure/shooter. You are sent to investigate this asteroid or mining ship or an asteroid base or something that has been taken over by creatures. The creatures you fight are similar to the bosses in House of the Dead, in that each one has a weak spot you had to target to beat them. There were two...technically three...monsters in the demo. The first is a four or six legged insect looking thing, his weak spot was on his right side....the second was a giant bat looking thing that would attack you once and fly away after killing the first and moving down the hallway...and the final creature was a tentacled thing at the bottom of a green slime pool....it was gray, and looked a tiny bit like a praying mantis... at least its head does...you had to shoot it in the eyes. If you were killed by the first or third monster, they had their own unique animations for killing you. The first one would stand over you, and the last thing you'd see is its mouth opening over the camera, and if you got killed by the tentacled thing, it would grab onto your shoulders and pull you into the pool with it.

Sorry, but that's all I remember.... I hope I gave you enough description to help me with number three at least.

Last edited by bubbles83; 15-09-2010 at 02:09 PM.
bubbles83 is offline                         Send a private message to bubbles83
Old 15-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles83 View Post
either the main publisher or developer had an owl for a logo...something like Twilight or Moonlight productions or something like that....
Could that company be Psygnosis?
Old 15-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

1. Creature Shock? System Shock?

2. It surely sounds like Psygnosis logo. Perhaps Deep Space is the game you're looking for? Check other Psygnosis titles...

3. As for the third, I really can't help you. Sounds a bit like Krazy Ivan due to big bosses, but it's not that one definately
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 15-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
bubbles83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
Could that company be Psygnosis?
Yes indeed sir! How I ever got twilight or moonlight from that I'll never know...ugh
bubbles83 is offline                         Send a private message to bubbles83
Old 15-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
bubbles83

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
1. Creature Shock? System Shock?

2. It surely sounds like Psygnosis logo. Perhaps Deep Space is the game you're looking for? Check other Psygnosis titles...

3. As for the third, I really can't help you. Sounds a bit like Krazy Ivan due to big bosses, but it's not that one definately

1. Rail shooter, not a true fps, it was done in first person but your character traveled along a set path and blew the crap out of things, so in a sense I suppose it was more akin to an arcade game.

2. Correct sir! Many thanks!

3. The game I'm describing was a sort of slow paced exploration game as anything. You'd click to go down a hallway, the first monster would be there, click to go down a few more paths and you'd be in the room with the second. I suppose it's inaccurate to describe them as bosses because there are no other monsters, there are just these creatures that you have to figure out the weak points to defeat.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
bubbles83

Game #2.....has been successfully identified as Darker! Thanks so much everyone for giving me the logo info, after that it was just a matter of finding a list of games from the time period and checking them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_%28computer_game%29
Old 16-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #7
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles83 View Post
Game #2.....has been successfully identified as Darker! Thanks so much everyone for giving me the logo info, after that it was just a matter of finding a list of games from the time period and checking them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darker_%28computer_game%29
Game 1 The Last Bounty Hunter
Right?
Or maybe that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Patrol
?

Last edited by eugene425; 16-09-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: reshuffle
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 16-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's a long shot, but the first one could be Cyberia.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
bubbles83

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene425 View Post
Game 1 The Last Bounty Hunter
Right?
Or maybe that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_Patrol
?
Nope, but thank you, I was trying to remember the name of the western version of Crime Patrol. Crime Patrol I had and got very addicted to. Even some of the harder levels were slightly easy to beat though, because a lot of times you could see shadows and stuff from where the actors were standing a second or so before they popped up, it's kinda hokey by today's standards, but I thought the first-person movie style of these were AWESOME....were any others made in this style besides CP and TLBH?

EDIT: After perusing Youtube, yes indeed there were several incarnations of games like this done by American Laser Games...too cool. Although, it still can't beat the interactive movie experience that was WC III Heart of the Tiger....still say it's one of the coolest games I ever played even if not too many people seemed to like it.

Last edited by bubbles83; 16-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just found something while browsing through mobygames: could the first game, that rail shooter, be Wetlands perhaps?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river