Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
hot dog ranch

Default A couple of questions regarding DOS/Vista

I realize my questions are probably someplace on this forum, but thought I would ask anyway. I recently discovered all the DOS games again online. I am running Vista. My computers skills aren't the best either. My questions:

1. I assume I need to download an emulator like dosbox to play games on Vista. I have seen a lot of sites offering downloads. Can someone provide a link to one they prefer that works?

2. What kind of configuration do I have to do to my computer and/or the dosbox download once it is loaded onto my computer?

3. I was looking for the game Tank Wars, I think by Kenneth Morse written around 1990. I'm sure it is on several sites for downloads as well, but if anyone has a link they prefer I would be interested in it.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
hot dog ranch is offline                         Send a private message to hot dog ranch
Old 29-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

1 dosbox.sourceforge.net (www.dosbox.com)
the only one and the official

by the way, sourceforge is a website dedicated to free and open source software, made usually very well and it beats commercial competitors of same branch. the only exception i can think of is photoshop, which is better than free gimp. it also provides a lot of mirrors in case some server were down. you can not go wrong with sourceforge

2 after installing dosbox, run it and type "intro", it will give you brief instructinos. also this is a good place to start too. and some of common vista issues

3. http://tinyurl.com/22c6t
Old 29-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Correct.

There aren't much options to choose from, really. There's DOSBox, there's VDMSound and a few full-blown virtual machines.
* DOSBox hogs CPU time and isn't the easiest one of them, but all things considered it's still quite fast and works with most games.
* VDMSound is faster and easier to use, but doesn't always work and sometimes just plain crashes.
* Virtual machines require setting up an operating system just like a real PC would, weren't meant for gaming in terms of compatibility... unless you have a Windows 95/98 game that doesn't work in XP/Vista, just avoid them.

DOSBox can be downloaded here.

2. Almost none to your computer, some to DOSBox. Here's a guide I wrote, it should help you get started.
Some of the DOS games will require sound configuration. This has to be done (or at least checked to make sure it's correct) per each game separately - no way around that, fortunately it's not particularly complicated.

3. I know it has been requested and approved. Used to be downloadable from Home of the Undergogs, but none of their downloads work anymore after their file server died.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
I realize my questions are probably someplace on this forum, but thought I would ask anyway.
You are asking for ways to run games, so you are posting in the right forum. The next time you need help finding a particular game you should however try the Favorite Newbies and Oldies or Request forums: they are more suited for that kind of request.

Have fun.
Old 30-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Here's the version I use - http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 30-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
hot dog ranch

Thanks for all the quick repsonses. I will try it out when I get home from work tonight. Hey R.U.S.S. the answer to #3 was pretty funny, I liked that one.
hot dog ranch is offline                         Send a private message to hot dog ranch
Old 31-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
hot dog ranch

I was trying to save the changes in the dosbox.conf on the notepad. When I go to file then save I get:

cannot create the C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosboxconf file
Make sure that path and file name are correct.

Any suggestions? I was able to save it under documents but when I pulled up the dosboxconf file from start then programs none of the changes were saved.

Once all the configuring is done how do you start a game? I could see it on the c:dir on dosbox but what do you type to start the game. In this case Tank Wars?

Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 31-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
___
Old 31-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot dog ranch View Post
I was trying to save the changes in the dosbox.conf on the notepad. When I go to file then save I get:

cannot create the C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosboxconf file
Make sure that path and file name are correct.
One of the wondrous things with Windows Vista.
Uninstall DOSBox and install it in your "My Documents" directory or somewhere where your profile has full read/write permissions.

Quote:
I was able to save it under documents but when I pulled up the dosboxconf file from start then programs none of the changes were saved.
Because the link still pointed to the config file in the DOSBox directory, and so did the parameter in the DOSBox shortcut. You were opening the original file, not the modified copy you saved elsewhere.

Quote:
Once all the configuring is done how do you start a game? I could see it on the c:dir on dosbox but what do you type to start the game. In this case Tank Wars?
Look for EXE, COM and BAT files in the game directory. Try running them.

It might be more convenient if you set up an extra GUI inside DOSBox - Norton Commander being my personal recommendation (my guide has instructions on how to set it up - NC makes things much easier).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
dosraider
Dismembered.

Easiest way to work with dosbox on Vista:
Install dosbox in c:\users\your name\
Create a virtual C as: c:\users\your name\oldgames\
Add those lines under [autoexec]
mount c "c:\users\your name\oldgames\"
c:

Working that way will avoid you all troubles related to Vista's protections.
Simple as that.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider