Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #21
N17R0
Abandonia nerd

My problem with games now is they go so much for graphics and cinematics, that the gameplay itself has lost it's flair. Final Fantasy X is a good example, I watched more cutscenes than play time in the game. Plus, some of those "advanced systems" in games just take things to a way too complicated level. Suddenly, I am reminded of the "Hey Hey 16k" flash animation.
N17R0 is offline                         Send a private message to N17R0
Old 10-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #22
Mucman

Lots of interesting points! I think Data summed it up pretty well though. It's all about your ability to enjoy games now. My ability to enjoy games have gone down the tubes because of the many reasons already mentioned.

Now I need to go and learn about Beyond Good and Evil! I'm ashamed I do not recall that game at all!
Mucman is offline                         Send a private message to Mucman
Old 10-12-2004, 05:57 AM   #23
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Mucman@Dec 10 2004, 06:07 AM

Now I need to go and learn about Beyond Good and Evil! I'm ashamed I do not recall that game at all!
you should, its quite a gem... plus it should be available really cheap these days.
I belief its from the creator of Rayman

Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #24
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

A quick search on the web tells me that I missed nothing. I had that title confused with another one for a little while, but it's a new game which just (or recently) got out.

Pc Gamer gave that title 73%.

Quote:
79% - 70%
GOOD - These are pretty good games that we recommend to fans of the particular genre, though it's a safe bet you can probably find better options.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:17 AM   #25
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

I think for me these days the true magic comes from a game which does something new and does it well. I've played RTSes, I've played FPSes, I've played flight simulators, and if another game comes out that happens to be just another one of those, it's not going to do much for me no matter how pretty it is. But if a game really stands out, I'll keep going back to it.

Highlights for me in recent years:
  • Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War - Both combined Risk-type strategy with real time tactical battles.
  • XIII - It's an FPS, but the whole comic style thing really works for it. Plus the multiplayer mode where you all go hunting the Death absolutely rocks at LAN parties.
  • Planescape: Torment - Best RPG ever (I don't care what the poll says). Certainly the best computer RPG I've played yet at actually giving you the chance to role-play and having your decisions really affect the game. I've still gotta go back and try to be chaotic enough to join the Xaositects.
  • Republic - I don't know what it is about this game. It's basically a political simulation (how many other games fit into that genre?), and at first glance looks kinda boring, but I still find myself playing it for 4 hours or more at a time.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 11-12-2004, 01:24 AM   #26
Classic Pig

Isn't the way games are being produced an indication that game designers are now techno geeks (no offence to any highly respected tech geeks on this site!) with awesome programming and art skills but very little imagination. I reckon a combo of the crews who thought up the stories for Monkey Island 1 k: , the old Sierra adventures etc combined with the amazing graphics we are now capable of would result in a far better gaming experience.

That having been said I don't think that the gaming companies care about things like story line as they have traded that for hyping the game for it's astounding graphics to which the mass market is automatically attracted. This is just the way society seems to work - some person says counter strike is cool and next thing a couple million people are calling it the best game ever :ranting: ! The same goes for music - one song sounds pretty much the same as another if you listen to a radio station which plays popular music and the scary thing is that the bulk of society is lured into buying that music simply because it is the done thing.

I reckon more pressure needs to be put on the game producers to come up with original and user friendly titles which are playable over and over just like the games of old.

OK - enough :ranting: ! Back to work...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #27
FreeFreddy

It's not like it was before. Pretty different times, after all. Nothing beats the feeling back then when you played Master of Magic and felt the magical atmosphere of the original music and the little iconized graphics. Now, games rather concentrate on offering better graphics rather then offering much game-fun, like some others wrote already. Though there're always exceptions, but today only some few games are really good, where back then many games were magical and interesting to experience...

Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #28
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well I just finished playing the Doom 3 demo. And it's *dirty word* brilliant, I loved it, I don't care what anyone says. It's the only game that has freaked me out. Such as the first time you run into the zombie on fire . And when you look into the mirror in the bathroom, then the dude breaks through the door.

No game that I have ever played has come close to this.

The only other thing that came close to freaking me out as much were the skeletons and the weird things that walked around on the arms cause they had no legs in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 11-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #29
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Dec 11 2004, 10:03 AM
The only other thing that came close to freaking me out as much were the skeletons and the weird things that walked around on the arms cause they had no legs in Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Which game also was made by ID Software, like Doom too.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #30
TaloN
Hero Gamer

i like games with a deep plot. but also games with alot of historical accurcay.

my fav game of ALL time is close combat 2 : a bridge too far.

we have a thriving community at www.tournamenthouse.com for all closecombat games and i play many games a week,
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN