Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Lim-Dul

If you have an older monitor this is quite common. The screen in older dos games can be so dark, it's sometimes unplayable. Gamma correction utilities in win don't help. As soon as you switch to dos task, it becomes obvious that the win apps have no control of it. I have found this little program that may be of some help, but not allways. It is usefull only with games that use low resolutions and 256 colors, and even then, it doesn't allways work.
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/m...ia/sassi10.zip
If someone had/has a similar problem, and possibly solved it(without buying a new monitor), please reply!
Lim-Dul is offline                         Send a private message to Lim-Dul
Old 22-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I am running dos games on an old computer.I recently changed the monitor, but before that, i had my old monitor, which was made in the 80s i think NEVER had any problems with it...
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 22-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Lim-Dul

Well, I'm not saying that it will allways happen, but with time the tube's characteritics slowly degrade. This is usually represented through blurry colors or darker image. On some monitors/TV's this effect will be more noticable. Some monitors are darker by default, when producted(older Compaq monitors are a good example, I think). I'm not making this up. I've been browsing the net for quite some time now, trying to find some solution, and I've noticed that a number of people is having the same problem. Well, you are quite lucky for not having this kind of trouble. It can be very frustrating(especially if you like to play dos/older games from time to time)!
Old 23-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #4
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

And i'm not saying you are.Thanks for the info, someone may have needed it
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 07-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Parkingtigers

My monitor is too dark. I have to manually crank up the gamma in Windows, but of course I get no enhanced brightness within games unless they have a gamma brightness slider built into the options (which DOS games don't have, natch, but even most modern games are lacking here). I know I just need a better monitor, but I can't afford one right now (it isn't old, just rubbish). Very frustrating.
Parkingtigers is offline                         Send a private message to Parkingtigers
Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
Caged
Game Wizzard

aren't there any brightness and contrast controls on your monitors? Crank them up if there are
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 AM   #7
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Have you thought of buying a second hand one from Ebay? I bought an excellent Compac monitor this way. Usually the sellers are e-businesses and they give a one - three months warranty. The postage was about twelve dollars. I paid about fifty dollars -all up- for a nearly new 17 in monitor in perfect condition.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Koen
Game Wizzard

Nec Multisync E500 I have. You can set the brightness as high as you want, even so high that you only see a white screen...
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Lim-Dul

Dont buy a new monitor before you try this!
http://entechtaiwan.net/files/pstrip.exe
It's excellent. You can create hotkeys for brightness, gamma or enything else that is windows/color related, so you can correct your screen while in games/programs, without going in menus! Furthermore, if your monitor has a dominant color, no problem.
Even if your monitor is fine, I still recomend that you download this great utility. I found that most games have different gamma settings, so you can do your own presets for each game.