Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

In the Odyssey, there's Charybdis, who swallows the sea in a whirlpool, then spits it up again and Scylla, who has 6 heads, each of which grabs a man from any passing ships. There's also the Laestrygonians, who are a tribe of giant cannibals and Cicre, who is a witch. There's also the Keeper of the Winds. Oh, and the Cyclops of course.

That's all I can think of. Like has been said, I don't think there's any in the Iliad, beyond the occasional god.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Mar 5 2006, 03:02 PM
(...)
Circe and Calypso are sorceresses, but they hardly qualify as mythical creatures...
For some reason, I know see one of those sorceresses as Harry Belafonte, dressed in a long, black robe with a black, pointy hat on :blink:
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 05-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Centaurs. I don't know any other than the ones listed above.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 05-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, thanks. I'll use the mentioned in the task I'm on. k:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 06-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #15
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by troop18546@Mar 5 2006, 12:28 PM
Ok, it's like this:

Could you name me some (aproximately 8-10, from each) mythical creatures from the books: Iliad and The Odyssey?
I need this for a little project I want to do and I believe asking would be a better solution than reading through a 1000 pages for me in this case.

I appreciate the effortand help.
While it is possible for the collective wisdom of abandonia members to help you on this quest, it will defeat the whole purpose of the assignment. One of the most important reasons that you were given the assignment was that of making you read (at least in translation) both the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Given that, you should read both epics and make a note of each mythological creature that is encountered. After reading both epics, you will have two sets of noted mythical creatures, so you just compare them against each other. Assuming that you are tasked for an essay, your first paragraph will identify the thematic difference between the two sets (having read neither epic, I have no idea what it is), and which examples you will present to back up your thesis. As you are doing a comparison, you MUST describe both sets of mythical creatures. Your next paragraph(s) will take the selected examples that you mentioned in your introduction and explain how they all have a common theme. The following paragraph(s) will examine the selected examples of the other epic and show how they have a different common to themselves, but not the other set. Your last paragraph will explain how the previous paragraphs lead to the conclusion of your thesis

Any time you say something about a mythical creature, you should do three things:

Point: State the point that you want the reader to understand

Proof: Give a quotation that illustrates the point

How: explain how the quotation illutrates the point that you are trying to make

You would be amazed how many people do not know how to organize an essay, so if you can write your essay to the above format, the marker should be pleased. I once experienced the happy accident of writing precisely the style of essay the maker wanted to read and I reaped the reward of top marks.

Note: there is no right or wrong answer for this type of assignment. The marks will be awarded for stating a thesis and then finding the quotations to allow you to argue that the thesis is valid.

You will have to read the two epics, anyway. If you are given an assignment about the Iliad and the Odyssey, then you bet your last dollar that they are fair game for exam questions.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 06-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #16
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

16 year olds have better things to do than plan the perfect essay rlbell.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 06-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #17
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Mar 6 2006, 07:18 AM
16 year olds have better things to do than plan the perfect essay rlbell.
He's right, though. If it turns out that some mythical monster isn't in the Odyssey after all, Troop will be in a very embarassing situation and will hardly be able to blame somebody else's bad memory.
Blagging will only get you so far, and the time spent on this thread already would easily have been enough for a skim-read of at least one of the books. They're fun to read, too, so I don't see why that should be so much of a problem.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #18
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

English and fun reading do not go together.

It doesn't really matter whether he has it wrong or not, one bad essay isn't going to ruin his life.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 06-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #19
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Mar 6 2006, 07:56 AM
English and fun reading do not go together.
Of course they do.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter whether he has it wrong or not, one bad essay isn't going to ruin his life.
No, but actually making an effort isn't going to kill him either.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 06-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
Gelfo
Game freak

agreed

But if you've been set an essay question on the oddyssy and the illiad... surely you would've read them in class already.. Setting a pupil the task of reading both and then writing an essay on them is a bit ridiculous?