Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Guest_Knives_*

Ok, I just learned about DOSbox and I have been wanting to play Kingdom O' Magic again for ages, but I am having trouble getting started. Now before you say anything I went through DOSbox tutorial, Here but the only problem is, it only tells you how to download a game and run it, but not how to run it off a CD or install it off a CD. B/c for those of you fortunate enough to have the actual KOM game CD, trying to install it normally is a hastle b/c it constantly crashes and freezes. All i'm asking for is for someone who actually has the game, and got it to run, could you tell me what you did to get it running. Any help would be apperciated.

Old 13-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You could check the Troubleshooting Archive for a quick glance at your problem. This thread, for example, should be a great help to you. k:
Old 27-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
jjjapan

QUOTE(Guest_Knives_* @ Aug 11 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]248006[/snapback]
Quote:
Ok, I just learned about DOSbox and I have been wanting to play Kingdom O' Magic again for ages, but I am having trouble getting started. Now before you say anything I went through DOSbox tutorial, Here but the only problem is, it only tells you how to download a game and run it, but not how to run it off a CD or install it off a CD. B/c for those of you fortunate enough to have the actual KOM game CD, trying to install it normally is a hastle b/c it constantly crashes and freezes. All i'm asking for is for someone who actually has the game, and got it to run, could you tell me what you did to get it running. Any help would be apperciated.
[/b]

Hey. I understand how hard it is to install and run KOM. I had this problem a few months ago and I started a massive thread on here about it. However I believe it has been deleted now. Anyway. To install it I suggest D-Fend and Dos Box. I am sure you know what these are. If not please reply and I will explain how to download them etc. [D-fend is a frontend for Dos Box and basically makes it simple to use it] Now I am guessing you have the original game on two CD's? Ok.
1) Download D-Fend and Dos Box
2) D-Fend new game Wizard - In the setup part put D:\INSTALL\INSTALL.EXE [ or whatever drive your CD uses] or find that on your Disk One
3) I chose 19000 cycles for the environment because it is quite a fast/ detailed game for a DOS creation
4) Ok this is the IMPORTANT bit: the drive mounting. Mount Drive C as C. and Mount Drive D as D. Sounds obvious but is very important for this game.
5) finish the wizard thing
6) Click on the Game name in the main D-Fend Screen then chose setup . hopefully this will load to the installation.
7) Once this is complete edit the Game Profile and where it says Game EXE locate where the game has been installed this for me was C:\GAMES\KOM\KOM.BAT - press ok
8) Double click on the game in the D-fend main screen and see if it works

If this doesn't work type what the problem is and i will try to help. I truely understand how ANNOYING this is to try and install and run.
jjjapan is offline                         Send a private message to jjjapan
Old 28-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Mount Drive C as C. and Mount Drive D as D. Sounds obvious but is very important for this game. [/b]
Not for DosBox. If you even mount something like H:\haxx0rz\ as your drive C, then any game ran in DosBox treats it as your drive C.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman