Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #21
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

Okay, I've uploaded Dungeon Hack. Hope I didn't delete too many extraneous files.

I've included the copy protection answers as a text file within the zipfile.
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar
Old 16-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

By the way, I've put up screenshots for Star Control.

(This is for the help needed thread that said apparently Star Control needs new screenshots)

http://abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18706
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar
Old 16-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Screens replaced. Thank you.
Old 17-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #24
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

I've put up new screenshots for Star Control 2.

(This is in response to the help needed thread).

http://abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18706
Old 17-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #25
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

I've found the original version of JetFighter by Velocity Development (1988) on my old hard drive. This game isn't on Abandonia yet, and I was going to add it. However, I haven't been able to get it to work in Dosbox nor Windows XP, as the game freezes after the title screen. The helpfile for JetFighter says that if this occurs, then to boot the computer from an original DOS diskette, since it requires three files, COMMAND.COM being one of them, and JetFighter does not run on "impure" versions of DOS. Unfortunately, I'm a Dosbox newbie (most advanced thing I've done with it is take screenshots), so does anyone know how I might get it to work, or what I should try to reconfigure?

Although this game isn't on Abandonia yet, I can upload it at any time if any Abandonia guys want to take a whack.
Old 17-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #26
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Uploaded screens. (except the title screen, which is not needed)
Old 17-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

By the way, I noticed someone already uploaded Curse of the Azure Bonds (I recently found my original 5.25" floppies!), so to whoever is reviewing and playing through it, I just wanted to recommend googling "start STING Wooden" (with the quotes) if that'll make things easier.
Old 17-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #28
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
By the way, I noticed someone already uploaded Curse of the Azure Bonds (I recently found my original 5.25" floppies!), so to whoever is reviewing and playing through it, I just wanted to recommend googling "start STING Wooden" (with the quotes) if that'll make things easier.
Funny thing is that BentleyVA never actually uploaded it. So if it's not a problem you can upload it to the FTP.

About JetFighter. I don't know if someone will respond to your question but if it's original and has nothing changed then you could also put it on FTP. If you really want to know how to run it I'd suggest opening a thread in Troubleshooting. There's a greater chance you'll get a response there.
Old 17-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

I've uploaded Curse of the Azure Bonds and Jetfighter.

Curse runs okay in Win XP but the battles will move too quickly, so I'd recommend Dosbox. It's critically important that every time you play, you mount the directory in the same way as the first time you run the game, otherwise you'll get an "Unexpected error during save: 3" and be unable to create characters or load saved games. If this happens, you can edit the curse.cfg file manually to be the right directory. For example, if the game is in c:\games\curse\, so the savegames are in c:\games\curse\save\, and you did "mount c c:\games\curse", then the third line of the curse.cfg file should be "C:\SAVE\" since that's the proper directory that the game recognizes. The reason why I'm going over this is that this one detail alone made me unable to play the game for many years!

And of course, to whichever editor reviews the game, know that there's a lot of walkthroughs already available on the web, and of course, google "start STING Wooden" to save yourself some trouble if need be.

For JetFighter, again, it currently hangs at the title screen. The helpfile that came with the game said that if this happens, then use a "pure" version of DOS, so apparently this was an issue even when the game came out. However, I don't know how to set that up in Dosbox. I'll post in the troubleshooting forum to see if someone might know how to get it to work.

Edit: Success! Japo pointed the way to this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=12963

which gives a modified build of Dosbox that emulates some "prefetch queue" stuff of older processors, which makes this game work.

Apparently this game was written for 80386 and older, but more modern 80486 and later processors use different prefetch opcodes or whatnot, so the game doesn't work on those. Dosbox apparently emulates an 80486 so it doesn't work on the standard version of Dosbox.

Last edited by Vanshilar; 18-05-2009 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Update re JetFighter
Old 19-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #30
Saccade
[BANNED]

Who's got the review of Dungeon Hack?
Are you doing it Vanshilar?

If I run some of the old Norton Utils stuff, etc. in DosBox, my PC's and Mac's both come up as Pentium type CPU.

[ed]
kk Paco - I have TimeQuest and some IF games left to do first. If Vanshilar doesn't take it and it is still unclaimed by then, I'll stake it out in offers.
Mind, it isn't a massive game to review and discuss - especailly as there is a play-guide.

I have a folder for DungeonHack for the walkthru, protect and cheatcodes (I think that a better boxshot can be found, if no-one has one to scan) already, so I may as well make it complete for the documentation, I guess.

Last edited by Saccade; 19-05-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade