Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-08-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
myname1

Default OK I don't get it! Hard drive problem asus P5N-D (SOLVED)

OK now this is something I have never encountered before in all the years I have used a computer. I have an Asus P5N-D Motherboard with 8 gigs of DDR2 ram and quadcore processor .(Win 7 Ultimate OS) Recently, my hard drive died and I had to get a new one..so I got one....a WD 500 GB Black label. When I put it in my computer on SATA 1 it did not read the drive in BIOS and came up as empty slot...I tried all SATA ports....I put in a band new SATA cable...even tried moving the RAM (taking some out putting some in) BUT NOTHING WORKED..it STILL would not rcognise my hard drive in the BIOS. No...I did not update my motheboard BIOS, but I had never had his kind of problem either. I am scared of updating my motherboard BIOS unless I just have to, because I can brick my motherboard.

So I go to my local computer repair shop and they put a different hard drive in my computer to see if the BIOS will recognise it...it did right away! They tried another SATA hard drive also recognised instantly on SATA 1! I was scratching my head wondering WHAT was going on...I thought it was the had drive just being bad....so THEN they put in my old hard drive and...WHAT DO YOU KNOW....it worked....in BIOS on SATA 1!

I know that computer shop owner looked at me funny....but no matter WHAT I did last night...I could NOT get the BIOS to recognise the hard drive! The ONLY thing I an think of that would have "set it right" was somehow when those other two drives were hooked up....they somehow set right whatever was wrong in the BIOS? I really don't know...still stumped! By the way... my computer loaded win 7 great and is working FINE! The question I have is what made it act "wacky" in h first place? I have read on other forums about an AU P5N-D motherboard not recognising a SATA drive and those guys tried everything like did...yet they had no luck. Most just chunked their hard drives! This is a really weird mystery to me. Never had to deal with this before! If anyone wants to take a guess....please feel free!
myname1 is offline                         Send a private message to myname1
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

OOOoooOOOOO!!!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 05-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Only thing that came into my mind is jumper settings - but it was old IDE issue, and I suppose SATA haven't it?

Another weird guess is that you, myname1, somehow forgot to insert power cable into HDD. Or it was loose in the first place.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Only thing that came into my mind is jumper settings - but it was old IDE issue, and I suppose SATA haven't it?
Actually, some have it. I have an ASRock K7-880 which refuses to work with SATA-II drives unless they use a jumper to force the drive into SATA-I compatibility. Not all drives have that option.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman