Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
Boxleitner

Okay. Nevermind I fixed it all on my own with the stuff on the site. Thank you Abandonia! Slash Praise You!

On a side note: anyone know where i can get a no cd exe for Star Control 3? I am tired of having my game look my cd up.

Below is the issue i WAS having. LOL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help please!

My Star Control 3 seems to be damaged. Melee between vessels does not seem to load right! :wallbash:

Whenever i get attacked at a star system or try to run a ship to ship melee game, Everything slows down to snailpace. I chose my ship and have to wait 30 or more seconds before the computer chooses my enemy. Then it´s another 30 second wait or more to see the battle start.

After the outcome I wait another 30 seconds. I don´t know what it is. Maybe it´s the cd lookup?

I am using dosbox to run Star Control 3 because without it i cant get sound at all.

What should i do?

Thanks beforehand,

Boxy.

EDIT!! - This is not the cd lookup feature that is interfering! I can run SC3 in windows without sound without problems. Anyone know what i need to do to get sound in windows please?
Boxleitner is offline                         Send a private message to Boxleitner
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

My initial thought: Have you tried to increade the cycles in DOSBox? If set too low, it may very well increase loading time. Mind you though, that DOSBox itself is rather resource hungry and that you will need a rather powerful pc to run more complex games at a satisfying speed.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
Boxleitner

QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Sep 11 2007, 03:18 AM) [snapback]310147[/snapback]
Quote:
My initial thought: Have you tried to increade the cycles in DOSBox? If set too low, it may very well increase loading time. Mind you though, that DOSBox itself is rather resource hungry and that you will need a rather powerful pc to run more complex games at a satisfying speed.
[/b]
Yep. Tried that. When I cranked it up past 2000 things started to get jumpy hehe!

VMD solved my troubles tho! :brain:
Boxleitner is offline                         Send a private message to Boxleitner
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Star Control 3 is FOR WINDOWS (9x). Maybe it has an executable for Windows and another for DOS that you're using, I can't remember, but it should work in Windows at least in compatibility mode (someone confirm since I played it when I had Win98).
Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
dhaas

Default Slightly Unrelated Question about SC3

So I downloaded the game from abandonia (I don't have the cd), but I can't get it to run on dosbox. The readme.txt file says to run setsound.exe and sc3.exe, but the folder consists of a bunch of starcontrol3.part n.rar archives, where n ranges from 1 to something like 40 or 50. The first file (starcontrol3.part01.exe) is unzipped, but won't run in dosbox. When I try to unzip any of the .rar archives, I get an error from stuffit (I'm on a mac).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
dhaas is offline                         Send a private message to dhaas
Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.

Seems the download is a WinRAR selfextracting file, needs Windows to work.

If you haven't access to a Win PC you could try UnRARX for Mac.
http://www.unrarx.com/
That's my best shot as WinRAR also works on RAR selfextracting files in Windows.....
Or find a Win PC, uncompress and burn the CD.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
dhaas

ok, so I got things to unzip, but now when I run the program I get the error "unable to open the voice file on the CD-ROM. Verify that the CD-ROM is in the drive. You might also check the VOCDATA path in the LEGEND.INI file".

I'm running it on Dosbox, so everything is in a single mounted folder, and the VOCDATA path in that file is '.', which I'm assuming means current directory.

Why am I getting this error? Am I missing some file?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
dosraider
Dismembered.

You seem to have missed the dosbox readme, more especially the cd mount instructions.

That's a nice readme for Mac users:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933
Scroll down for MacX.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
dhaas

Thanks for the help! Now I've got the game running, but for some reason whenever I fight battles in the game mode, the computer automatically takes over (and loses a lot of ships stupidly). I'm sure there's an option somewhere to fix this, I'm just not sure where. This isn't a technical question so much as a cry out to anyone who knows the game. Where can I set the option?
Old 19-10-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Johnnyb69
Lurker

I downloaded Star Control 3 from abandonia but, they stripped the voice files....is there anyway you could offer them for those that want to take the time to download them?
Johnnyb69 is offline                         Send a private message to Johnnyb69