Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Fallout: New Vegas

After yoga's playthrough of Oblivion as I heared it was developed the same way by the same company as that, I considered trying F:NV, so made some background research if it would be good for me or not.

Well, it turned out not, but let me tell how I see this program.

First, it looks like the revived canceled original third rpg-instalment of the Fallout series, VanBurden with different engine. Heck, Fallout3 didn't even had Traits!
The concept sounded nice evolvement of the earlier parts. In F1 you started in huts with almost nothing, in F2 you had farming towns, and in F:T you started to rebuild civilisation. So for F3:New Vegas a welbuilt city is nice, being a commoner a plus. And the worldmap is simply amasing. That's why I considered despite it is an FPS, and I usually get serious headache from FPSs as they ALL use the same Unreal-based engine, which frequency causes me nauseous.
And the "ultimate edition" (contains all expansions) is out for a reasonable price.

It turned out it is full of gamebreaking glitches and bugs - you'd think the creators of Oblivion would learn from their mistakes over time. Seems they don't. And I don't want to play a game I have to plan forward based on bugs too.

It is also like Myst: nice but empty giant areas. And as that wasn't a real game, there goes my opinion.

I've also seen the fighting sequences. Man, I don't want reality in computer games! I don't want to remember my sorroundings and deal with running things towards me! I want to blast their head off, and that's the end of it!
I especially not want Doom3, where those stupid critters jumped ou from close range all the time. And they do it here again! Maybe if from the start I'd have a silly big gun what only Arnold Schwarzenegger can wield and even him only in his movies with ammo continuously at my disposal this wouldn't be that much of a problem maybe, but it is again the same: I don't want reality in a computergame, I want to blast their head off!

Oh, it also uses the inventory-sytem from Ultima VIII, what means tonns of stuff, no knowledge what will be needed, very limited carrying capacity. I've quit Ultima Pagan after 5 minutes 'cause of that.

Last edited by twillight; 16-08-2012 at 07:32 PM.
twillight is offline                         Send a private message to twillight
Old 16-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Capo
Unconventional member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
It turned out it is full of gamebreaking glitches and bugs - you'd think the creators of Oblivion would learn from their mistakes over time. Seems they don't. And I don't want to play a game I have to plan forward based on bugs too.
Actually the creators of oblivon have nothing to do with this game, Obsidian create this. For the bugs just patch the game.

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 17-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
After yoga's playthrough of Oblivion as I heared it was developed the same way by the same company as that, I considered trying F:NV, so made some background research if it would be good for me or not.

First, it looks like the revived canceled original third rpg-instalment of the Fallout series, VanBurden with different engine. Heck, Fallout3 didn't even had Traits!
*VanBuren. Also, NV uses the exact same GameBryo build FO3 uses, so they both have perks only, and both let you pick a few at the beginning of the game.

Quote:
As Capo pointed it out, NV was made by Bugsidia.. I mean Obsidian, who are actually mostly former Black Isle/Interplay employees, who made the first two Fallout games. And as the nickname implies, Bugsidian never makes something that isn't full of bugs. But having it up to date squishes most of them.

Quote:
It is also like Myst: nice but empty giant areas. And as that wasn't a real game, there goes my opinion.
It is called the wasteland for a reason. And the areas are far from empty. Enemy spawns, easter eggs, secret locations are all over the place, and for every 2-3 minutes of walking you do meet people. I would not classify that as empty. Not any more empty then the overhead map of the original Fallouts.

Quote:
I've also seen the fighting sequences. Man, I don't want reality in computer games! I don't want to remember my sorroundings and deal with running things towards me! I want to blast their head off, and that's the end of it!
I especially not want Doom3, where those stupid critters jumped ou from close range all the time. And they do it here again! Maybe if from the start I'd have a silly big gun what only Arnold Schwarzenegger can wield and even him only in his movies with ammo continuously at my disposal this wouldn't be that much of a problem maybe, but it is again the same: I don't want reality in a computergame, I want to blast their head off!
Despite its looks, Fallout 3/New Vegas is not an FPS. It is a first person RPG. You can't shoot for sh*t because your skills are crap. Also there's V.A.T.S mode, which makes the game go semi turn-based. Strange though, never had anything just jump me. You can see your enemy visually from far away, and the compass even has an eazymode enemy locator when something is nearby.

Quote:
Oh, it also uses the inventory-sytem from Ultima VIII, what means tonns of stuff, no knowledge what will be needed, very limited carrying capacity. I've quit Ultima Pagan after 5 minutes 'cause of that.
As in any RPG worth its salt, carry capacity is limited by your STR score. That's the only limiting factor. Also items have tooltips, y'know. The inventory has categories, so you know what item is useful from the get-go. Everything that isn't in the weapon/apparel/healing tabs is mostly junk or maybe a crafting material. Which is easy to check if you stop at any crafting table/campfire, where you can browse the recipies and find out just what you need. Also, if you don't play hardcore mode, the ammo weighs nothing and you don't need to eat/sleep.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually New Vegas has lots of traits, and new ones introduced by Old World Blues dlc too.

The look of the game is FPS. Don't care if it is rpg or action game - it is First Person Shooter Look, thus an FPS in that sense.

All the review and playthrough videos on the net shows NV's fights last 5-10 seconds, the enemy being melee rnage after the third second. End of story. Gimme a minigun or forget it. Also the aim happens as far as it was shown in real time eaxtly like FPS: if you aim right on the thing you'll hit it, if not you're screwed, and the fastness of the creatures is like Quake what I hated.

I don't care how you can sort your equipment. If there is a carrying capacity, then the items (as this is a fuckin' game where you can sell literally everything at all shops, start from scretch, buying things are very expensive) must come in reasonable volume.
Take the other fallouts (1,2,T), or the Diablo series: all things can be stored and sold the best time without problem, and have reasonably good price, and you know their value just by looking at them.
In Fallout NV you get zounds of items, no idea on the use of them, and crap on values.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Drath

You want a big gun that can destroy everything instantly? That would kind of ruin the game pretty fast, your in a nuclear wasteland, its meant to be hard to find high damage guns that are in good quality. You do find kick ass weapons later in the game just like you do in just about every good RPG, it's all about progression.

the accuracy in the weapons isn't just look at the enemy and shoot, that only works close range. If your skills are low your chances of hitting an enemy at a fair distance is next to impossible.

Also why do people keep saying "oh well in fallout 1 and 2 blah blah blah" when talking about fallout 3 or NV. The only things that the first 2 have in common with the new ones is the name, setting and lore.
What works in a strategical turn based RPG does not work in a first person shooter/RPG

I think Bethesda and obsidian have made 2 fallout games that are pretty fun in their own right. They got a lot of my friends interested in the franchise and they have all now played the first 2 games and loved them which is something they would have never thought of doing before.
Old 17-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Actually New Vegas has lots of traits, and new ones introduced by Old World Blues dlc too.

The look of the game is FPS. Don't care if it is rpg or action game - it is First Person Shooter Look, thus an FPS in that sense.

All the review and playthrough videos on the net shows NV's fights last 5-10 seconds, the enemy being melee rnage after the third second. End of story. Gimme a minigun or forget it. Also the aim happens as far as it was shown in real time eaxtly like FPS: if you aim right on the thing you'll hit it, if not you're screwed, and the fastness of the creatures is like Quake what I hated.

I don't care how you can sort your equipment. If there is a carrying capacity, then the items (as this is a fuckin' game where you can sell literally everything at all shops, start from scretch, buying things are very expensive) must come in reasonable volume.
Take the other fallouts (1,2,T), or the Diablo series: all things can be stored and sold the best time without problem, and have reasonably good price, and you know their value just by looking at them.
In Fallout NV you get zounds of items, no idea on the use of them, and crap on values.
Why would you take them all? You don't carry around 16 leather armors, 8 guns and 2000 rounds of ammunition do you? Diablo is a loot fest action rpg, your comparison is flawed. Just because you can be a cleptomaniac in any Beth game doesn't mean you have to be. And why would a piece of 3-day-old meat have a price tag on it after you rob it off the body of a scavenger? Not to mention that store prices adjust to your appraisal skill (as they should). Want lower prices? Jack up appraisal or merchant or whatever. Also the game does not endorse hoarding. You use armor and weapons you find that are identical to repair your own, because shop repairs are expensive.

And fights.. if the enemy has a baseball bat, what should it do? Sit at rifle range for you to kill and not attack back? Ranged enemies don't get close, they shoot at you from optimal range. Yes there is an iron sight and yes you can use the normal aiming if you run out of action points, but as mentioned, accurancy is still based on skill. And every friggin time you press 'v' you enter V.A.T.S. where time stops, and you can target bodyparts just like in the old Fallouts. After that, time resumes.

Also I just noticed.. what do you mean from the videos you've seen? You wrote a "review" without playing the game at all?

Last edited by hunvagy; 17-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.
hunvagy is offline                         Send a private message to hunvagy
Old 17-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually I DO carry 16 leather armor 8 guns and 2000 ammo. They worth a lot in the shop you know? And those implants aren't cheap. Even with high barter they still cost tens of thousands $. The sillyness os New Vegas shown for example in its achievements where there is one for selling for 10K $, while just three of the implants cost individually that or more.

Diablo is a LOOT FEST hack&slash. Again you completely miss the point hunvagy as the point was "loot fest" and nothing else.

And again: if I have a f'in SMG for instance, I expect the enemy dead in near-realistic circumstances at the first burst. If it can make 30 meter AND hit me thrice - I call that bullshit.
I don't have problem with being hurt, but let me be The F'in Hero, if the game is about combat on a large scale (and all fallouts ARE). But if the every bloody creature jumps away from my shots (even rockets), then gimme a minigun, because it is hungry people in a postapocaliptic world, not some predator-ninja of Quake!
Old 18-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Drath

People don't jump out of the way to dodge bullets in NV. Your just really bad at aiming.
Old 18-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I wish they wouldn't canceleed Van Burren.

The only difference between Van Burren vs. 3 and New Vegas seems to be the engine. The further used the original Fallout-perspective (with the engine of Lionheart), while the later used FPS-view and Quake-engine.
The cancelment of Van Burren seems to be the lack of avaiabality of moneymaking from the Lionheart's engine, but I bet it'd have been at least not "The Bugqueen of Games".
Old 20-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

I've quit Ultima Pagan after 5 minutes 'cause of that.....

Hey, dear twillight,

With all my respect to You i will politely disagree with above words conc. Pagan.
This is a nice game, believe me. I started this game 7-8 times till i finished.

What are You?
Donkey or camel?
You want to carry 15 Colt 45 or 20 Shotguns?
WHY?
Best prices? Not so greedy...

ha ha ha