Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Approved Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #21
spell

Default Voyages of Discovery

It's not Sid Maier's Colonization!

You start off with just a capitol city in one of the four to five playable colonial powers (England, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands) and everything else is uncharted. I think that the map is not realistic (I seem to remember thinking that this is a good thing since you didnt know where to explore).

There are two views: Capital view and Explore view.

In the Capital view you see a street with buildings in it which you click to enter, and a dock next to the street. If you click on a tavern you can recruit sailors or get some info from spies (sort of like High seas trader). There was this school or smt like that where you could opt for investing money into new ship or new weapon design, and eventually you would get it. You could also hire mercenary troops (soldiers which differ from sailing crew). If you click on a ship in dock you can fit her with cannons and stuff. This view is static and hand drawn.

The Explore view is isometric, semi birds-eye view. When you sail, you have to have water and food, or else your crew can get sick or mutiny or die. You can also get into rough seas or get some desease on the ship. The merceneries can be dispatched into new continets when you find them. There are several resources in the game: Gold, Silver, Tobaco, Cotton, Trinkets (which you can offer to indians). The colonies have limited storage space (which you expand by building warehouses) so you have to keep emptying them with your ships, and selling the stuff back home.

The game starts in 1492 (I think) ends at a specific year (not sure which one).

Please help me identify this game!
spell is offline                         Send a private message to spell
Old 22-07-2009, 03:10 AM   #22
spell

One more thing, by the graphics, I would put it in the 1994-1999 period, and it is NOT described already in abandonia (I checked all the strategy games, all the simulations, and all the "simmilar games" of games that are simmilar).
Old 22-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #23
fjj
Forum hobbit

I remember playing Conquest of the New World, which is somewhat like that.
fjj is offline                         Send a private message to fjj
Old 22-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
spell

Thanks for trying, but this is not it
Old 22-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
skillz
Super Freak

Send a message via MSN to skillz

Imperialism II ?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/imperi...on/screenshots
skillz is offline                         Send a private message to skillz
Old 22-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #26
spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz View Post
Nope.. Imperialism has better graphics for one thing... for another the map is totally uncharted except your home port when you start (not the case in Imperialism). I had very little fights with my opponents in the Old World, if any. Most or all fights were for new colonies since it was tough finding the others and the port cities (the only cities you had, so if you were England you had just London and no other cities) are heavily defended.
Old 22-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
skillz
Super Freak

Send a message via MSN to skillz

This sounds like a fun game(the way u explain it)looking forward to somebody solving this so i can give it a try
skillz is offline                         Send a private message to skillz
Old 22-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #28
willcaleb

Default Is one of these that game

While searching the Internet I ran into Sid Meier's Civilization (not Colonization since you said that wasn't it), FreeCol, and FreeCiv. Are these the ones if not I am going into the Internet Galaxy another time to find the unknown entity that you are looking for.
willcaleb is offline                         Send a private message to willcaleb
Old 22-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #29
spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcaleb View Post
While searching the Internet I ran into Sid Meier's Civilization (not Colonization since you said that wasn't it), FreeCol, and FreeCiv. Are these the ones if not I am going into the Internet Galaxy another time to find the unknown entity that you are looking for.
Nonne of those.. played them all at one point or another... Thanks for your effort!
Old 23-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
spell

Default FOUND IT!

At long last! I am reunited with my game! It was just like... a streak of genious... I was searching ANYTHING that has to do with the game, so I thought I try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...mulation_games

Surely enough I opened a few games that might be what I'm looking for based on the title. I was browsing through the page and opening links in new tabs, and there was "Voyage Century Online"... It's a MMO, definitely what I was looking for, but then something just snapped... I KNEW the word "Voyage" was in the title of the game, I just knew it... I couldn't remember for weeks now, but upon seeing it, I was sure as I am standing here that the word was in the game's name.

And just like that, the full name popped into my head "Voyages of Discovery"!!! A bit of googling and a few clicks later I was reunited with my beloved childhood memory! THIS IS WHY Abandonia and other sites MUST exist, and why we need Abandonware... If it weren't for someone else descrbing the game and hosting it, this gem might have been lost for ever... Man... I'm so happy now I'm besides myself!

Thank you all who helped!