Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-12-2005, 03:44 PM   #1891
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomahawk@Dec 5 2005, 06:14 PM
I....Don`t.....understand......the........game.
Read the manual
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 07-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #1892
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I will ask again where is the bloody control room, it was easy to clean a colony of snakemans, sectoids or floaters but mutons its more difficult and i am still using the laser rifle

About mind control... :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: . If someone is about to get under MC, u can try to hide him with smoke granedes, isnīt easy cuz he will be moved.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #1893
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Dec 7 2005, 01:33 PM
I will ask again where is the bloody control room, it was easy to clean a colony of snakemans, sectoids or floaters but mutons its more difficult and i am still using the laser rifle

About mind control... :ranting:* :ranting:* :ranting: . If someone is about to get under MC, u can try to hide him with smoke granedes, isnīt easy cuz he will be moved.
I'll try to describe it as I don't have UFO installed here (so no chance of a screenshot):
there's a wall in the shape of a square with tiny squares taken out at the corners (see drawing below - ignore the dots, those were just needed for formatting). There are a couple of small windows, and a wide door (usually facing the top of your screen). Enter this door and you'll see there's an identical wall on the inside. Then you have to walk all the way round between those walls.
| |
| |
| |_
|_ . |_____
. . |_______

Stun every alien you encounter there rather than shooting it, as one of them might be the commander. Once you've reached the side opposite of the entry door, you'll see a door in the inner wall. Inside there's a large lift in the middle of the room; the control room is the level above. Most of the time the aliens you want to capture alive are on this level, but as I said they do walk around sometimes. Take care as some of these guys are armed with blaster launchers.
Also, it happens that you won't see all of the aliens in the top room at once when you enter, be careful that they might be hiding each other. If they haven't walked outside, there should be 3 of them.

Hope this helps...

By the way, I stun any of my soldiers that get MC'ed. And sack them after the mission...
Old 07-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #1894
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Dec 7 2005, 01:33 PM

About mind control... :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: . If someone is about to get under MC, u can try to hide him with smoke granedes, isnīt easy cuz he will be moved.
If you have the luxury of not having to deal with the trooper right away, wait until they do not control him and drop all of his stuff. Usually, I do not have this luxury, so I accept the reduction of squad morale and gun him down. Mind controlled troopers, even a mind controllable commander, are not worth saving. The only reason that I would even consider not shooting them on the spot is the morale and score penalty for a trooper KIA.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 07-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #1895
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Some troopers arent that bad who get mind-controlled. The more they get panicked by aliens the more their bravery increases. Also you can have really good troopers who are psi-weaklings, ive got an awesome sniper but he always gets targeted first.

Handy solution, dont use those psi-weak soldiers against sectoids or etherials, when you have the Hyperwave Decoder if the enemy is not a sectoid or etherial then you can use your psi-weak troopers, either have a dedicated craft of psi-weaklings or just manually substitute troopers on a craft once you know who the enemy is.

The control room in an alien base is the metallic structure which is on the brown floor, all other metallic structures will be on the mettallic floor so it should be easy to spot, not to mention it is fairly large, the actual control room is on the 2nd floor and usually has a blaster-bomb wielding alien.

Ŧ † DxRxIx † ŧ
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #1896
*Happy*

To clear up the thing about mind control: the aliens can mind control any soldier who they have seen at any time during the mission. If they never saw a particular soldier they cannot target him. However, there are 3 things that may make it seem they can:

1. If they mind contol one of your soldiers and he sees any other soldier while under mind control, the other soldier will be remembered by the aliens.

2. The design of some walls is rather strange and sometimes you can see through a wall corner but not shoot through it. Aliens can thus spot you through one of these wierd corners. Also, remember that it is possible to see through the cockpit of an avenger or skyranger.

3. The aliens can see farther than humans

Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #1897
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I found it k: but a single high explosive canīt blow it :bleh: ..... or yes?

About MC,
1. Isnīt easy to send the right trooper to each mission, the skyranger are too slow compared to Tritons from xcom tfd. With only a base with skyrangers and troopers u will risk to: a) canīt choise if play at night or at day(i like more fight at night but loses can be too high, so normally chose to fight at day and a "elite" squad for make some missions for fun). B) At begining its cheaper and safer to defend a base with soldiers to risk the lost of undefended base or defended by missiles base. c) u will not have the chance of attend to all the ufos. So i got 3 bases with troopers and skyrangers around the world and sometimes a big interceptorīs base itīs protected by troopers without skyrangers.
2. Yes is hard to disarmd, stun or hide a mind controled soldiers....the game cahnges if u get the psi-lab and the psi-amp, u only got to explore with the tank and control all sppoted units for made them drop their weapons or use as futher scouts. Missions without MC are funniest (the dead members of x-com maybe didnīt like the word "funny" but i donīt care). And Missions where only u can be MC are hardest. SO know when attacking sectoids in a colony, defending a base or assaulting a ship bettewn large and very large that many members of your squad can be MC. In smaller craft mission no so many squad members can be MC, just one or twice.
3. RETREAT when u find an etthereal
4. I will found ethereals in Cyndonia?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #1898
Kearnsy
Games Master

If your Psi levels are low (eg: early in the game) you can always carry a stun launcher around with you. They can put down a mc soldier easily and without to much harm.

...I havent played it in a while and I think I remember that if the mission ends while guys are mind controlled you lose them so watch that!
...Then again I may be wrong.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 AM   #1899
*Happy*

Quote:
Originally posted by Kearnsy@Dec 8 2005, 01:33 AM
...I havent played it in a while and I think I remember that if the mission ends while guys are mind controlled you lose them so watch that!
...Then again I may be wrong.
You're absolutely right, any mind-controlled soldiers end up MIA if the mission ends while they are still under alien control.

@laicofar: i think it would be quite a spoiler to tell you what you'll find in Cydonia, so I'll just tell you to prepare for everything!

Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #1900
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

anyone noticed how alliens usually MC the troopers which have the lowest MC defense ability? how do they know who is the weakest?? how i found it out? well i just followed the soldier's developement and how much they go under MC. After i build a lab to trian them in protection their points showed the lowest defece against MC.

Must be some alien powers or something....
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor