Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
Ohma

Default No Sound in MoO in DOSBox

I've tried fiddling around with the sound settings to no avail, I've monkeyed around with DOSBox's config settings for sound, none of the files are read only, all my other old DOS games sound fine, and this is on a different computer from the one I've had this problem on before.

It's simply bizarre since nobody else seems to be having these problems.
Ohma is offline                         Send a private message to Ohma
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Run install in dosbox.
Choose 'reconfiguration of hardware options'
Music and sound effects:
Soundblaster(orig) adr 220
Music:
Soundblaster(orig)
adr 220
irq 7
drq 1

To select correct settings: use keyb arrows and hit space, the point shows the current selection, hit enter when done.

BTW there is music in the opening screen, but not ingame apparently, sound effects are working.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

DosBox by default has the settings - port (sbbase) 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 (HDMA not required by this game). Did you try setting those for sound in Master of Orion? Also did you set the sound and music to Soundblaster, Soundblaster Pro (Stereo) or Soundblaster 16 (Stereo, better)?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
Ohma

Okay got it to work, just needed to download (and install) a different version (that was set up as though it were all the old floppy disks...sigh...I wish my current comp even had a floppy drive, then I wouldn't have had to do any of this).

Still no clue why DOSBox didn't like the sound for the version from here (or why it wouldn't install correctly) because a close comparison reveals that (aside from the configuration files and saves) both have identical files. (even more peculiar is that the version from here wouldn't even let me set the IRQ ect. for my sound settings in the install program)

So yeah, problem solved, though I still have no idea what was wrong in the first place. :confused:
Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohma View Post
.... (or why it wouldn't install correctly) .....
So yeah, problem solved, though I still have no idea what was wrong in the first place
You don't need to install it completely, that's why.
You only run the install and:
Choose 'reconfiguration of hardware options', as we told you.
NOT "install files to hard disk".

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Ohma

I'm well aware of that, my problem wasn't that I was getting a "please insert disk whatever" error, it's that what sound there is in the game would not play (for reasons that are beyond me). Like I said in my initial post, messing around with the install program's audio settings had no effect (and I wasn't getting any options in those settings to select the irq ect. settings for the emulated sound card, which, come to think of it, may have been the problem, but fucked if I know why I wouldn't be getting those options on two separate computers/installations of DOSBox/downloads of MoO).
Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

As it works for several of us, with the AB download, you can safely assume that you screwed up somewhere.
Now screwed up is maybe not the right expression, but more probably you did a wrong manipulation somewhere.
Did you check if your unzipper didn't tagged the files/folder read only?

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 10-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Ohma

Yes, I've checked that (something else which I mentioned in the OP), nothing was marked read only.

I'm betting that it was something I was doing wrong, but since I had done everything that had been suggested that I do (as well as a bunch of other things that didn't pan out), and I keep hearing the same suggestions despite me saying that I had tried them (and in the case of the 'change the IRQ settings' suggestion, the options I was given within the program for some reason did not include said settings), I have no clue what I could be doing wrong.

Additionally I'd suggest that anyone else having problems getting sound to work from their download of Master of Orion here, just search for another download elsewhere (the one I'm talking about is on someone's little MoO fan page), and download the version that is formatted as though it were the original disks. Simply unzip all the files from inside the disk folders and mount the directory you unzipped them to as a floppy drive in DOSBox and install the game (and subsequently get sound along with it) will be a snap. Granted you'll have to deal with the copy protection, but I think if you're savvy enough to do all that you can just as easily find the manual, or a copy protection cheat sheet, somewhere (I just dug up my own copy of the manual I had lying around, mmm nothing beats that dusty old game manual smell ).
Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well you can download the manual for Master of Orion and many other games from Replacementdocs
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty