Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Or you can try:
DOSBox for dummies
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Moshchu
Game freak

According to statement in the reveiw as the game is the first RPG that doesnt take place in medieval or fantasy world - well, I am sure that you played 'Fallout' Sebatianos
Moshchu is offline                         Send a private message to Moshchu
Old 15-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Fallout was released in 1997... or did you mean Wasteland?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
humorguy
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by banchote View Post
ok now i'm really going to sound like a noob...but dosbox? i see it here and have downloaded it? anyone willing to give me a quick crash course?
In almost every thread we get this type of message -to save hours of man/woman time, isn't it about time people on this site got off their DOS BOX and put in the readme about front ends like D.O.G. of Re-DFEND, etc?! We live in a click with the mouse world, not as DOS command world that DOSBox gives you. Surely clicking on a tab then clicking browse then going to the drive/folder to set the executable and setup and then clicking on another tab and browsing to the drive and then clicking on 'drv' to show it's a hard drive or 'cd' to show it's a CD drive in order to mount the necessary drive(s) is a darn sight easier for a noob then telling them to mount c c:\ then type 'cd' (for Change Directory mind you - not 'Compact Disc'!) then to mount e e:\ -t cdrom, etc etc.

It is only snobbishness that stops the FAQ on this site to include front end information rather than exclusively DOSBox information!

As I say, at least 6 messages in every single game review thread on this site is about someone saying they can't get there head around the DOSBox commands and all that's offered is 'we need more info' or 'go to the config file and do x' to which the reply is 'where is the config file? and on it goes.

So let's have some info in the FAQ about front ends, and let me read messages about the game concerned rather than 2 or 3 people trying to get a gamer up to speed on those weird, non intuitive DOS based DOSBox commands!

I use a front end, and it makes DOS gaming a pleasure rather than a technical thing.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 27-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshchu View Post
According to statement in the reveiw as the game is the first RPG that doesnt take place in medieval or fantasy world - well, I am sure that you played 'Fallout' Sebatianos
I guess you mean the old text based game - It's Planetfall, not Fallout (Fallout is too young)... It's really dificult to say which games are RPG and which are adventures, but text based games tend to be more adventures than RPG.

and about Wasteland (the one that Horseman mentioned), it's an RPG with "modern themes" as well, but it starts off as medieval and you get into present, future... later on in the game.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
mysticx0

im completely stuck on the second mission, the spaceship part. i have some parasites killing off my crew...i went to level 6 and found the medic room and theres a machine that says it will operate and take the parasites away and then theres three options like reprogram, talk to and shoot machine or something. no matter what i choose and who i choose to do it with, i fail and my members just start dying off. im really getting discouraged to the point ill never play it again which i dont want. any help?
mysticx0 is offline                         Send a private message to mysticx0
Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
OBMiT
Forum hobbit

The Buck Rogers games rule!! I've always loved SSI games, but yeah, Buck Rogers was something special..
OBMiT is offline                         Send a private message to OBMiT
Old 13-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
warispeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticx0 View Post
im completely stuck on the second mission, the spaceship part. i have some parasites killing off my crew...i went to level 6 and found the medic room and theres a machine that says it will operate and take the parasites away and then theres three options like reprogram, talk to and shoot machine or something. no matter what i choose and who i choose to do it with, i fail and my members just start dying off. im really getting discouraged to the point ill never play it again which i dont want. any help?
Do any of your characters have the programming skill? I think that's how I passed that part, but it's been forever since I played it.
warispeace is offline                         Send a private message to warispeace
Old 13-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
warispeace

I remember I used to make my own cheats for this game. If you open your saved game in a text editor and makes changes to it and save it, all your inventory items turn purple and do completely random things. Through trial and error you can give yourself things like rocket launchers that fire 20x a turn. It's like being a mad scientist or something, I had as much fun with that as the game itself.
warispeace is offline                         Send a private message to warispeace
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #20
cwells
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by banchote View Post
ok now i'm really going to sound like a noob...but dosbox? i see it here and have downloaded it? anyone willing to give me a quick crash course?
Just start it and type mount c {local game folder path}. You can toggle processing speed using Ctrl+F12 and Ctrl+F11. Go to your newly created C: drive and start your game. Works like a charm
cwells is offline                         Send a private message to cwells