Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
swiss
who's not Swiss

look here and tell me what you think of OUR Space Invaders ... Do you think that ours is the original ?
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 02-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Aren't all Space Invader games for PC exact clones? Otherwise it would have to be an emulation, right?
It might be the same, though...
Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
swiss
who's not Swiss

do you think they didnt make a PC version of SI in 197x ? Just imagine how GREAT it was ... but, well ... who had a PC those days ???

You may be right ... sorry for disturbing ... :whistle:
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #4
Danny252
I have a custom title!

It was an arcade game. Arcade machine, pc. I see a difference. heck, they didn't even have consoles then! (I wonder why.)
Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #5
Taskmaster
Super Freak

Depending on "when" you are refering to they did have a game console... the Atari 2600. which came out around the 1979 time frame. Not sure exactly when but I had one while I was still in middle school (1979/1980).

The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think. At least I remember reading that somewhere.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Taskmaster@Jan 3 2006, 05:24 PM
Depending on "when" you are refering to they did have a game console... the Atari 2600. which came out around the 1979 time frame.
Space Invaders was first released in 1978, PONG (the first console) was released in 1972. The 2600 also predated SI and was released in 1977.

As for the original topic of the thread: no, OURS is not the original. It says right there on the page linked to that OURS was written for a competition of classic arcade game clones rewritten in BASIC in 1996.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by swiss@Jan 2 2006, 02:37 PM
do you think they didnt make a PC version of SI in 197x ? Just imagine how GREAT it was ... but, well ... who had a PC those days ???
The original IBM PC wasn't released until 1981. SI predates it by several years.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 04-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Taskmaster@Jan 4 2006, 12:24 AM
The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think.* At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Yep. That's how it was. Lines of coloured plastic were plastered on the screen so the invaders would change their colour when they went down one line. There were like four or five different plastic lines. Then came Galaxian, with real colours ! That was a shock ! :w00t:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 04-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru+Jan 4 2006, 01:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lonely Vazdru @ Jan 4 2006, 01:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Taskmaster@Jan 4 2006, 12:24 AM
The original Space Invaders on the arcade machine was black and white and they placed a color filter on the glass that let the bottom be red and the top blue I think.* At least I remember reading that somewhere.
Yep. That's how it was. Lines of coloured plastic were plastered on the screen so the invaders would change their colour when they went down one line. There were like four or five different plastic lines. Then came Galaxian, with real colours ! That was a shock ! :w00t: [/b][/quote]
Oh man, I have actualy played with one of them (in the 80s)!!!!
The one that I found fascinating (as an arcade) was Phoinix (sp?) where it was (the first) that had a whole closed cockpit, a screen on the bottom ahead which you could see in a mirror infront of you, though in shrinked for some reason. Also it had a joystic k(or close to that) and speakers around the seat. (for the mono sound LOL)
Ah, man I sucked at that game!
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Moppie

those 2 are exactly tah same. the filename is also identical: inv78.exe. somehow when I try to move/delete it he says a program has it in use. it doesnt make any sense. I tried to shut down all the processes I could shut down without the system to crash. is it because DOSbox? Im just stuck here with copies that I cant (re)move. :tai:
Moppie is offline                         Send a private message to Moppie