Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of software patents?
Good (Explain why) 5 26.32%
Bad (Explain why) 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Jun 24 2005, 04:02 PM
then they probably changed 2 lines of code and continued.
I really hope it's that easy to circumvent software patents, but somehow I doubt it. It doesn't gett better when it's easy to tell that it's the major companies that can afford to buy patents to the left and right and fight legal battles...
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 25-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #12
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

ofcourse, software patents is a stupid clause.
Let's see what I mean. I read about this in CHIP magazine May 2005 and I think it was explained very beautifully there. There is a difference between copyrights and patents. If music, literature etc. were awarded patents, then Mark Twain could have patented humorous fiction, we wouldn't have had P.G.Wodehouse. That's true. Patents, in most simple language, is a tool to kill opposition and thus no one else in the market can survive.
Old 25-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by vipin@Jun 25 2005, 06:45 PM
Patents, in most simple language, is a tool to kill opposition
yes they are. just like lowering prices, paying higher salaries, and improving product qualty all are tools to that end.

allso about your MT example, that wouldn't work out for two reasons:
1) when you patent something it has to be something new (I'm not quite sure how this is checked)

2)second and most important patents expire, I believe the term of their work is something like half a cetntury, but they still do, after that- comedy would be up for the grabs (and at that time it definetly would be unpatentable due to 1).

3[BONUS, since it doesn't relate to the case]) when you patent something, it's not kept in secret, moreover anyone can come and look at your Idea, they just can't use it in their designs, unless you reach an agreement of some sort with them.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 25-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #14
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Patents in software industry is a joke.
First, you cannot patent something that can be changes so easily. If you change on or two lines of code, you are out of business. Of couse you can patent to similarities as well, or every single bit of your program, but that just as good as nothing.
Second, pirates and others like them don't care about patents. They just steal the code and use it as they like. I've seen a couple of pirate utilities that looked and worked just like some real applications.
Copyright is another thing. It is for defending your own work, so nobody could claim is as theirs. It is an "Intellectual product" that you created, and you own it. When you purchase a software, you buy the licence to USE that product, but it's not yours.

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 26-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
plague
Abandonia nerd

They aren't good neither bad... They are evil. Small companies and open source developers would probably be in trouble... And we would have to buy anything from big corporations. Wouldn't make me too happy.
plague is offline                         Send a private message to plague
Old 27-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #16
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

It's insane how much some companies charge for their products.

Compare the following and then tell me if the commercial software is worth the money:

Look at these
Old 28-06-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
vipin
Super Freak

but where to download that freeware Linux then? One more thing, please tell me, what r its requirements( HARDWARE + SOFTWARE, if any).
Old 28-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #18
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by vipin@Jun 28 2005, 07:30 AM
but where to download that freeware Linux then? One more thing, please tell me, what r its requirements( HARDWARE + SOFTWARE, if any).
Well actually I wasn't talking about the operating systems even though I personally think they're good. I was talking about the office pack etc. to get to the offcial webpages just click the links. The page was created to help some friends find software that could replace the ones they were use to.

The requirements are usually a little less demanding than the Windows ones.
And you don't need Linux to run most of the software. Most of them are ported to Windows as well.

I wouldn't recommend moving to Linux unless you're unhappy with Windows. But, as I said, you don't need Linux for most of the software on that page.
Old 28-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #19
vipin
Super Freak

I simply play games on my Windows based PC, listen music and sometimes need Acrobat Reader and that;s it. If you have used Linux, can u tell me if it is good for playing games or Windows are better?
Old 28-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #20
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by vipin@Jun 28 2005, 11:11 AM
I simply play games on my Windows based PC, listen music and sometimes need Acrobat Reader and that;s it. If you have used Linux, can u tell me if it is good for playing games or Windows are better?
Since most games are developed for the Windows platform I'd have to say that Windows is better. But when I play Doom3 on Gentoo I get better performance than on Windows. It's just that most games never reach the Linux platform. So the bottom line is, until (if ever) Linux gets the same support from game developers as Windows has; I wouldn't recommend Linux to a gamer. But as a working platform I think that (some) Linux OS:es are better than Windows (and better looking ).