Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Invalid Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Atlantis - The Lost Tales [GoG]

has anybody ever played this game?
I remember it as one of the first adventuregames I ever played.
There were a couple of sequals, and there is a new one in the making.
But i've never been able to find the original game, is it abandonware?

It explored the myth of atlantis (I'm not exactly sure how the story went. But it was something about the princess of atlantis being kidnapped...)
anyway, you went all around the world and the game was pretty interactive for an adventure game like Myth (shoot a wild boar, avoid the patrolling soldiers, trap a few eskimo's outside a room or something like that)
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 13-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
FreeFreddy

That looks interesting, especially the graphics. I didn't know anything about it, though. Is it good?

Old 13-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

heh
as I said i played it a long long time ago.
If you've ever played the game Shivers (or just one of those Sierra adventure games where you solved puzzles and there wasn't any interaction with other people) imagine that, but with much more interaction... but still fundamentally a puzzlegame.

It was quite cinematic I believe.
The ending was in a maze under the castle or something.
I remember something with a huge living eye walking around... not sure, its all a bit hazy
Old 13-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
FreeFreddy

Also, I liked Myst, and I must say, I like the look of the screenshots. I'll search a bit on the net, but as I'm not the master of searching - Tom, may I ask you for help me searching the game?
I have that feeling that the game should appear on our great site. :wink:

Old 13-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think its a bit too big to put on the site.
some more screenshots:
boxart:
(this brings back memories)

screenshots:

I rmember this movie vagualy... something with an eye again.

The palace, one of the first scenes in the game I believe

i believe this is the hero, Seth.

A fisherman, I vaguely remember him giving you an amulet of some sort.

Not sure about this, but I think this crook helps you get into the castle sewers where you have to beat the King of Rats at a boardgame of some sort.

view from the palace.

the review from avault.com is a bit odd.
they give it a 4/5 but claim the game is "average"

Quote:
Graphics (4,5/5) : The worst thing about the graphics are the characters themselves. They remind me of the Davey and Goliath claymation show that I used to watch when I was much younger. They stand out in sharp contrast to the beautiful surroundings in the game. The 360° panoramic views are breath-taking at best, and simply beautiful at worst. The views of Atlantis are varied -- from the dark dungeons, to the airy beaches, all locales are gorgeously rendered.
Quote:
Interface (3,5/5): The install took up a mere 40 megs of hard drive space -- why can't all multi-CD games take up such a small amount of my precious hard drive space? The OMNI 3D interface into the world is very smooth and creates an excellent illusion of being in the gameworld. The problem is, the illusion is so real, that I wanted to explore all of the areas of the game (as I can in a game like Quake), but the game engine limits you to standing (and thus looking around) in pre-determined places, so the game is not as free of constraints as it first appears. Many times I would face a direction and hope the gold forward arrow would appear to indicate that I could walk that way, but alas, it did not. The game saves your progress for you automatically so you do not have to worry about saving before a crucial moment, which is good, but it sometimes saves too far from the crucial moment and you have to trek through the parts you've done many times before to get back to the place you were killed. The game's controls are easy to figure out, which is good, since my review copy did not include the manual for some reason.
oh... perhaps it isn't all that big after all.
I remember the feeling described ehre, soemtimes you wished you could explore more areas.

Quote:
Gameplay (3/5): I found the gameplay to be lacking. I didn't feel enough freedom to explore, and the storyline seemed too rigidly fixed on completing task A, then doing task B, etc., without allowing some freedom in between. Start straying from the pre-determined course and you'll find yourself dead. The scripts for the conversations with characters are also pre-determined, and you really have no say in the ensuing conversation once it is initiated; you just sit there, watching and listening. I wanted to be able to ask specific questions of certain characters. All of this aside, if you understand what the game is giving you and run with it, it's not too bad.
Atlantis was a puzzle game first, an adventure game second.
The little conversation there was in Myst or Riven was also limited and the player was unable to ask things. Atlantis had a few conversations and, if I remember well, asking the wrong questions could get you killed.

Quote:
Sound FX (4/5): The main sound FX you hear (if you have sub-titles off) are the voices of yourself and the many characters you will meet. These are all very well-done and are even synchronized with the graphics on-screen using Cryo's OMNI-SYNC technology, which is not perfect, but it provides a much more realistic lip-syncing. The other sounds you do hear are just right. The knock on the door, the roaring of the ocean, moan of the guy you just killed, all sound very realistic.
don't remember the sounds

Quote:
Musical Score (4,5/5):The music varies in the game depending upon what is happening. For example, when going to a meeting that will probably turn out to be an ambush and get you killed, the music is full of suspense and lets you know that something is going to happen. The music always seems to be just right for the particular scene. Some of the other \"Atlantean\" music in the game reminds me very much of that music collection being sold on TV now -- the one with the theme from X-Files and that Enya song -- you know the one? Very odd music, in my opinion; very good, but odd.
don't remember the music either

Quote:
Difficulty:I have never been the best adventure game player. I like adventure games, but I don't have the patience for them. If I can't figure out how to solve the puzzle in the first few minutes (or tries) I get frustrated. I also must not have enough creativity to think of things like rotating the planets until the arrow appears on the crescent moon, then turning the sun so it is in line with the Earth and Moon. I found Atlantis difficult. I'm sure for all of the hardcore adventure gamers out there, Atlantis may be a piece of cake, but I resorted to the walkthru way too soon.
I think me and my brother eventually had to consult a walkthrough aswell at some points near the end.

Quote:
Overall (4/5): Atlantis: The Lost Tales is an average game in the tradition of Myst. It provides a new story for the often overused Atlantis theme, and shows off its great OMNI 3D technology. There are worse 3D adventure games you could buy, and there are better. If you are eagerly waiting for Riven, the sequel to Myst, this one might help you bide your time a little longer, but it definitely won't be a substitute.
Now this is, in my opinion, odd.
He gives it a 4/5, and then proceeds to say the game is average.
ah well
Old 13-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I played Atlantis - loved it. The music was fantastic, and the island and the palace were gorgeous. Flying in the crystal airship was exhiliarating. The aim was to discover what had happened to the Queen as she'd mysteriously disappeared. The music was so popular it was released on audio CD.

Cryo sounds familiar.

Btw, thanks for uploading those beautiful screenshots. Brings back memories....aaahhhh
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 13-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

I hope the game isn't like "Atlantis: Trial By Fire" because that game sucked big time!!

It look to be nice screenshots though
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 13-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
I hope the game isn't like \"Atlantis: Trial By Fire\" because that game sucked big time!!

It look to be nice screenshots though
no, it has nothing to do with the game based on the disney movie
Old 13-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
I'll search a bit on the net, but as I'm not the master of searching - Tom, may I ask you for help me searching the game?
I have that feeling that the game should appear on our great site. :wink:
You may ask.

And since it is me... let me just put on my Internet Smurf Hat and go get me some game...

Time me!
Old 13-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I found the ISO's on eMule.... downloading them.

All in all... those 4 ISO's make up 1,9 GB :P
(Let's see if it can be minimized later....)