Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: what is your preferred game database?
allgame.com 2 2.27%
giantbomb.com 0 0%
mobygames.com 52 59.09%
videogamegeek.com 0 0%
Wikipedia 22 25.00%
platform-specific (atarimania, lemonamiga etc.) 4 4.55%
other (specify) 8 9.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
I'm afraid I don't fully understand the question, but I try my best w/o voting because of that.

I mostly look after reviews, where usually the best source for me is gamespot.com

What I really in need many times is walkthroughs, and that's gamefaqs.com for me, and when the need of manuals as additional information to be able to play is demanded, then replacement.com is perfect

If I need a gameplay presentation (or when written material is not clear) youtube provides the best service. Many professional revier, tester and even companies put there videos. The site is useful too to find similar games when I'm up to a certain style of game (by providing a "related" option what abandonia does too).

If I'd need a specific technical information, developer's name, original concept, franchise info (other games of the title, other kind of products), what I rarely need I use wikipedia

If I ever get interested in a voice of character, character bio or other related stuff (these are specific but strong needs when they occur), the first source I try is imdb.com
Mobygames
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Does Youtube count? Usually when I want to know how the game looks and plays, I look up for a video. It tells more than a single screenshot.

For text info though, its usually Mobygames, Wikipedia, TV Tropes (although I usually check that one after completing the game, since its quite a spoiler-fest) and finally, whatever-site Google leads me to.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Youtube will show you gameplay of a title that is known to you. You can't use it to aid your search for some guy asking "I'm looking for that game... you know... with pink elephant".

IMDb is ill-suited for cataloguing games, they don't even have hardware/OS platform division (it should be in the release info section). Remember that publishers keep using the same title for games which aren't a simple console/PC conversion, but a whole new product.

Wikipedia won't give you minimum system requirements nor complete credits.

Last edited by RRS; 04-03-2013 at 05:07 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
Mingva

Default abandonia

I use abandonia.com for searching games
Mingva is offline                         Send a private message to Mingva
Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingva View Post
I use abandonia.com for searching games
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Tadrio
Lurker

Out of the choices given, MobyGames. In terms of release information, credits, cover scans and tech specs, even today I don't know of any other site that even plays in the same league there. But I have a lot of databases and resource sites bookmarked which I, when researching a game, usually "Open all in tabs".

Most of the really popular sites are crappy. IGN, Giant Bomb, even AMG are usually very incomplete, have a lot of flat-out wrong information, and are very limited in their scope. Terribly unreliable overall.

There are some great sources which are undeservedly not better known. Some of my favourites are:
Have a look at them!
Tadrio is offline                         Send a private message to Tadrio
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Mobygames
TheLegacy
Old 26-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
merlin

Mobygames and Wikipedia
merlin is offline                         Send a private message to merlin
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I've voted for MobyGames, but I also use Wikipedia sometimes, as well as GameFAQs and AG.ru.
Old 29-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #20
j7n
Lurker

I tend to look for accurate release dates and cross-reference them, and also professional reviews.

I have so far been content with GameFAQs, although they haven't escaped the plague of getting infected with Web 2.0 bloat. My custom Content Blocker is successfully filtering most out of it. A few FAQ authors have spoken with respect of the site and its original human creator, and that credit is still good with me. However, many old[er] games don't have accurate data, and occasionally only re-issue dates are given (or are given undue weight) in credits. Rather U.S.-centric site.

Wikipedia is growing. Some game content has since been removed from it, but not in the release data sections. Companies have quite accurate names.

With my content blocker at maximum, I can search GameSpot for reviews, but since they are occasionally biased, I cross-check them with Adrenaline Vault. That site goes down and resurfaces repeatedly.

MobyGames looks good. This is the third time I've come across the site. I think I might have been there in my searches, but I don't recognize its current design.
j7n is offline                         Send a private message to j7n