Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #11
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

K installing windows 98 SE = pain in my assholes. I go to install and I follow all the instructions then it says it has to restart and to enter the setup again. So I restart and enter the setup. It says formatting harddrive then a loud pc speaker beep with a message comes up "Please insert windows 98 boot cd or disk" well the install cd is in and for extra measure, lets pop that boot disk in... well after trying 50 different things I have given up and it won't format my disk it seems. The f*cking diskette and cd are available... how would the setup be running off of the cd, but the cd "isn't there" that the setup can detect it. What a piece of shit!
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #12
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well actually, if it says to restart the computer, you're supposed to have removed the CD from the drive so Windows can continue with booting up and the installation from the harddrive
You might want to boot up the computer from the floppy and completely format the harddrive from there (that way it should work), then start installing Win98 from the CD again. Just remove the CD before booting up, when it says you need to restart the computer, and insert it again after Windows GUI launches and asks for the CD.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
dosraider
Dismembered.

Euuurhhh, maybe you'd better forget that dualboot thingy I've mentioned in your other P2 topic.

Hmmmm, yes, forget that.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i have read through this thread and you actually said that you want to split your hdd to 1 gb and to 11 gb partitions. don't do it, just don't
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Update: I got FDISK running, I reformatted both 6gb hardrives. So it's just 1 partion on each drive. I found out that you have to boot the system without cd rom support, then you create the partions. So then it reformatted my drives. I'm gonna install Windows 98 sometime today as I am now at the setup screen with the mouse support.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
dosraider
Dismembered.

FYI: W98SE only needs a unformated primairy partiton to install. Its CD is bootable, will format the partition with the nessecary sysfiles and do a complete setup from CD.
Think I've must have setup W98SE a 1000+ times in my younger years, never had troubles.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #17
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Well its installed but it doesn't want to install drivers for GFX, Ethernet or Sound... so I downloaded them on this pc and I'm burning them to a cd.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
madcrow
Forum hobbit

That's some decent hardware for a high-end DOS box or even a low end "classic" Windows box. Before you decide which you want to make it, take a look at what kind of slots it has: if it has some ISA slots, use it for DOS gaming, as ISA-based sound cards are the best for DOS games and P2 mobos were the last generation of motherboard to have ISA slots as a general rule. If it doesn't have ISA, then it's not as useful for DOS, so you can run Win98 on it...
madcrow is offline                         Send a private message to madcrow