Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #121
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

... and an oversize sig.

By the way, are you quite sure you meant 'enthralled' there rather than simply 'thrilled'?:P
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 17-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #122
Yobor
Hero Gamer

"Entralled" gives the sense that the person has been "taken over" by the game and is now "obsessed" with it. The word provides more information than a simple "thrilled" would.

And, by the way, you seem to have a problem creating complete sentences. A simple comma does not connect the clauses to a sufficient degree. "There you will be alerted to UFO activity and intercept them, once you shoot one down you can investigate the crash site." This should be "There you will be alerted to UFO activity and intercept them period Once you shoot one down you can investigate the crash site."

Or, you could connect the clauses with a semicolon; they are very useful.
Yobor is offline                         Send a private message to Yobor
Old 17-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #123
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Zapotech, welcome to the site. One question, though; does a 153 IQ help you in reading big sticky topics about forum rules regarding language and signature sizes at all?

Everyone else, we've made a decision - the two new members of the Grammar Squad will be ReamusLQ and Yobor. Congratulations to the rest of you - you've just avoided the unenviable task of spending days arguing over a comma and tearing your hair out at especially confusing sentences

None of the edits we received from you guys were perfect (and there were one or two errors in there which eluded everybody), but Yobor's and Reamus' came closest to getting them all - congratulations to them!

All we need to do is get your permission masks sorted out with the administration and you're set. Reamus' should be fairly straightforward since he's a VIP already, Yobor's might require some effort from Kosta and/or Maikel, I'm not sure. An extra complication would be if either of you is a translator - please let me know ASAP if that's the case.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 17-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #124
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Amazing. I am honored by your decision.

Congratulations Reamus.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #125
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Yobor@Feb 17 2006, 08:42 PM
"Entralled" gives the sense that the person has been "taken over" by the game and is now "obsessed" with it. The word provides more information than a simple "thrilled" would.
Sorry to disagree there, Yobor, but 'enthralled' is far too strong a word to describe someone's being fascinated by a computer game. 'Enthral' means 'enslave mentally or morally'. Here it's basically just being used as a slightly more pretentious way of saying 'fascinated', and that's not the actual meaning of the word. And it hasn't really been much in use since the late 19th century anyway...

Oh, and welcome to the Grammar Squad, by the way.:bye:
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 17-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #126
Yobor
Hero Gamer

:-) Thanks.

However, "Enthralled" can be used in a much less serious way, as per the word love. "Love" can mean a deep emotional bond with another person, or it can mean a like of something. To quote Anchorman, "I love lamp." Obviously, the person is not going to have a strong emotional bond with a lamp, but they can simply enjoy lamps.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #127
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

FWIW, I'm with AJ - there's plenty of words for "thrilled", why devalue the wonderful word "enthralled"?
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 17-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #128
Yobor
Hero Gamer

Methinks "Enthralled" is fun to say :-). However, I understand and concede.
Old 17-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #129
punch999
The true Shadow President

Your serious? I didn't win?!!
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 17-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #130
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Our serious...I mean, we're serious.