Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #21
Eva02Soul
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Jun 14 2007, 03:17 PM) [snapback]294370[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

RPG's
Good: Original story with a meaning, extensive lore and backstory, extensive character development with lots of progression, choice and consequence, freedom and non linearity, many paths, immersive, character diversification.

Bad: Monster-to-monster marathons, glorified-slot-machine syndrom, generally boring or unnecessarily long gameplay, inflexible dialogue system forcing you to go through pages of text multiple times to get all the info, badly functioning and combat with no feel to it, MEGA-SUPER-DUPER-MAGIC-FIREBALLGUNSWORDS OF EXTREME UNPLEASANTNESS + 15, bad (ie. massive - go the the 'starting town' and all those champions there turn out to be weenies, go back to the 'frontier' and the rats kill you) power progression, fedex, non-continuity/deus ex machina/completely illogical twists and turns.

Seriously, it's usually either the lack of things on the 'good' side, or the details that bother me most. That's why the 'bad' list is that long :P
[/b]
Sounds like Planescape Torment is both a love AND hate game for you
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 14-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #22
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

It is.
As is Morrowind ("Bring these shirts to the city around the corner. Beware, there's a nix hound in the way" - slash, slash, slash, hit, slash, slash, slash, slash, hit, slash, kill - "Thanks for the shirts, here's 100 gold").
Or any RPG for that matter. I love them, but there's always things that horribly bug me. Maybe it's better that way; if there ever exists a perfect one I might forget about the world outside of it :P
Old 14-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
Eva02Soul
Game freak

Like to edit that one more time? I've counted 3 so far

Edit: Make that 4
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 14-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #24
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

I always edit my posts a lot, especially those I plan on keeping short :P
Old 14-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #25
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tulac @ Jun 13 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]294203[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I don't think you could've died in Leisure Suit Larry.
[/b]
I remember it's possible in a toilet! LOL
Old 15-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I remember that in LSL 1 you had to buy a "prophylactic" to avoid dying from AIDS. At 5 years old, "prophylactic" is a damn hard word to spell.... or even know LOL
Old 18-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #27
CorruptMylar
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mister McBrit @ Jun 14 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]294369[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I miss Interplay. They had a fantastic game design team. When they went down, I was pretty upset. :not_ok:
[/b]
And let us not forget Fallout, the game I'm playing right now (Fallout 2 actually). The sign your avatar picture is holding would definately be very ironic in the world of Fallout.
CorruptMylar is offline                         Send a private message to CorruptMylar
Old 18-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #28
CorruptMylar
Abandonia nerd

RPGs.
Blessings: Playing the Role. Approaching a story in a different way each time. Do I want to be champion of good or a sociopathic scumbag? Tweaking your character to fit the role in just the way you like. Are they a brusier fighter or a tactical minded wizard or a slippery thief? RPG combat is like a more fun version of chess,sometimes. Using tactics to beat a more powerful enemy is always satisfying. Immersing yourself in a world and becoming emotionally attached to it and your character(s). Feeling of accomplishment with a fully leveled, fully loaded character build. Then starting over fresh with a new idea for a character(s) and how he/they will win this time. The birthday surprise of finding that new weapon/armor/spell/wand and testing it out on your enemies.

Curses: One thing about combat in a role-playing game is the stand and swing repetition of combat. It’s like an old-time boxing smoker, where the combatants stand in one place and pummel each other till one falls down. I wish they were more animate sometimes, like two gladiators circling with lots of thrusts and parries. That’s more of a computer capability issue though. RPGs are starting to be more action oriented (much to the dismay of some). Hit points always bothered me a little. One sword hit in the eye is enough to kill you. But in the RPG world, it’s death by a thousand cuts. I tend to think of hit points in this way. It’s more of the “tide of battle”. If one person has less HPs, they are not necessarily more wounded, they are just having more close calls and struggling to parry or block the attack until they fail and reach zero. Experience point harvesting can get tedious sometimes. Mazes are a pain. I get lost easy. RPGs tend to be buggy as hell games due to their logistical complexity.
CorruptMylar is offline                         Send a private message to CorruptMylar
Old 19-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #29
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

If I'd have to choose a specific genre I'd go with adventures, but in general I

-LIKE: games that are simple and intuative enough that you can get into them without reading long manuals first (but you might return to the manual to improve your game performance). They can be games with no plots at all, or have very complicated plots (as long as you can start off easy and get hooked).

-DISLIKE: games that start off very complicated, have more control options then you have fingers and focus on effects only - but offer no fun gameplay wise.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 19-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #30
droma
Forum hobbit

Im going to have to go with RPGs

Ill split this into to sections crpgs and ...crpgs? Well console rpgs.

CRPGS
pros - With many crpgs there are numerous ways to customize your character, Fallout, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate, etc... Sidequests that are meaningful and rewarding, not fed-ex missions. Varied weaponry and attacks. A lack of a leveling 'grind' (a'la everquest and WoW, or the majority of console rpgs.)

cons - Graphics over gameplay!!! This is the major killing point for me in many of todays crpgs. Oblivion is one of the biggest here. Oblivion also suffers from a dumbing down for the general gaming audience. This is also a great downfal for crpgs. http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=129 .

Console RPGs
pros - With many console rpgs hailing from japan we get a very different style and story than we find in crpgs. Art, gameplay, story, mechanics are wildly different than any crpg. Here story and art is focused on making many into interactive storybooks. Just take a look at some console rpgs like Xenogears, Final Fantasy, or Breath of Fire, Suikoden! Mini-games! Fishing in Breath of Fire III is fun, addictive, and..well..fun! Or simple dice games like chinchirorin from Suikoden. Unique battle systems like the martial arts combo system and gear combat systems found in xenogears.

cons - Repitition! Level grinding! Little to no customization of character. In some console rpgs you find yourself suffering through the random battles to get more story. See games such as final fantasy VIII or I hate to say it, to an extent even the later final fantasy titles. Many console rpgs utilize a basic combat system copied from standard final fantasy combat. This can lead to unexciting combat and lots of boredom.

Best Crpg imho - Baldurs Gate 2
Best Console RPG imho - Xenogears / Suikoden II / Final Fantasy VII
droma is offline                         Send a private message to droma