Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #21

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Dec 4 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]270184[/snapback]
Quote:
Root of drive: what you get when you double-click on the drive in Windows Explorer.

If you can't find the directory in the root of your drive, try using Windows' search function to locate any files modified the day you installed the game.
[/b]

Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click My Computer on the old Gateway, not the newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant. Even if it isn't, I found the AUTOEXEC.BAT folder, referred to. And some others that refer to DOS when opened.

In the Autoexe. file, I'm not sure what the compatibility setting should be. Right now it has the compatibility mode box, UNCHECKED. Shouldn't something be in the MODE window. And the DISPLAY SETTINGS. Nothing is checked here either.

When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #22

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 4 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]270218[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
Root of drive: what you get when you double-click on the drive in Windows Explorer.

If you can't find the directory in the root of your drive, try using Windows' search function to locate any files modified the day you installed the game.
[/b]

Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click My Computer on the old Gateway, or newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant. Even if it isn't, I found the AUTOEXEC.BAT folder, referred to. And some others that refer to DOS when opened.

In the Autoexe. file, I'm not sure what the compatibility setting should be. Right now it has the compatibility mode box, UNCHECKED. Shouldn't something be in the MODE window. And the DISPLAY SETTINGS. Nothing is checked here either. (this is on the XP. Can I assume it's the same on the old Gateway) It's not hooked up right now.

When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.
[/b][/quote]

Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #23
Taarna

QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 4 2006, 04:42 AM) [snapback]270219[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(Guest @ Dec 4 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]270218[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click "My Computer" either on the Win95/98 Gateway, or newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant. Even if it isn't, I found the AUTOEXEC.BAT folder, referred to. And some others that refer to DOS when opened. (poking around with the newer machine, not the Gateway)

In the Autoexe. file, on the XP, it has the compatibility mode box, UNCHECKED. When I hook up the Gateway, Win95/98, should there be something be in the MODE window. And also the DISPLAY SETTINGS. Nothing. Can I assume it's the same on the old Gateway and that I should enter something. The old Gateway has never played a DOS game or even been booted to DOS.

When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the large, hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.

I continued looking through all the folders in the (C drive. There is no sign of the Xeen install. I didn't modify any files when I installed the game. I don't know what the game did while installing. I tried the SEARCH, but, wasn't sure what file to search for. I had tried a couple of C:\Program File searches using different names, Xeen, the company and so forth, but no luck. Will give it another, more through, look see.

Do you know what I should have typed in the SEARCH window?? bye
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Taarna is offline                         Send a private message to Taarna
Old 04-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #24
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click "My Computer" either on the Win95/98 Gateway, or newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant.[/b]
Yup, that's the exact thing

Quote:
When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the large, hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.[/b]
Unless it's a widescreen, you shouldn't have problems using it.

Quote:
I continued looking through all the folders in the (C drive. There is no sign of the Xeen install. I didn't modify any files when I installed the game. I don't know what the game did while installing. I tried the SEARCH, but, wasn't sure what file to search for. I had tried a couple of C:\Program File searches using different names, Xeen, the company and so forth, but no luck. Will give it another, more through, look see.

Do you know what I should have typed in the SEARCH window?? bye[/b]
You didn't modify any files, but the game did. When running the search, you have an option of looking for files and directories modified in a certain time period. That's your best bet right now.

Oh, and the entire idea about putting installed software into C:\Program Files\ has began after the advent of Windows - no point looking in there.

PS. The AUTOEXEC file you found on your Windows hard drive is a normal thing. That one is used only to load Windows stuff, though.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
Taarna

[quote]
Quote:
Are you referring to the (C drive, seen when I click "My Computer" either on the Win95/98 Gateway, or newer XP?? If so, been there many times, just never knew the proper term was "root of drive"..If that's what you meant.
Yup, that's the exact thing

Quote:
When DOS was installed in the old Gateway, the large, hi res LCD monitors didn't exist. Should I do something with the res setting?? Some forums make reference to monitor problems. Any thoughts.
Unless it's a widescreen, you shouldn't have problems using it.

Quote:

Do you know what I should have typed in the SEARCH window?? bye
You didn't modify any files, but the game did. When running the search, you have an option of looking for files and directories modified in a certain time period. That's your best bet right now.

Oh, and the entire idea about putting installed software into C:\Program Files\ has began after the advent of Windows - no point looking in there.

PS. The AUTOEXEC file you found on your Windows hard drive is a normal thing. That one is used only to load Windows stuff, though.
[/quote

That's so neat the way you isolate the individual questions and answer them.

The screen is a 24", very hi res. I still have the old 21" Gateway monitor. Should I just use it to avoid any more confusion. Since I'm already in that frame of mind.

Have you played Xeen? My Dummy book was sent "book class" so getting it to where I live will take weeks. Would really like to play Xeen, but, probably a bad idea considering my ignorance of DOS.

You obviously play DOS games. Do you use the DOS box? From other forums and comments, I get the impression that without being a DOS genius, playing it on the old machine might be less of a problem.

Re: the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Just curious and wanted to look so I left clicked, it flashes on screen and disappears. Right click, get the open, edit, print, scan and so forth window, click open, it does the same thing, flashes and disappears. Shouldn't something open, when you click OPEN?

But, when I right click on it and get the "properties" option, click on it, under General tab, it says it's a MS-DOS Batch File. Under COMPATIBILITY, in the compatibility mode window, there's nothing checked, or selected..as in Win95, Win 98 NT, and so forth. In the DISPLAY SETTINGS area, the three selections are unchecked also.

Right now the old machine is Win95/98. So, to play a DOS game, don't I have to adjust something (in this DOS batch file) so the machine knows what to do. Or, if I start the machine in DOS mode, does this file become moot?

Thanks for the time you're taking to help. Really nice of you...
Taarna is offline                         Send a private message to Taarna
Old 13-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Apologies for the late reply, certain real life issues kept me away from the forum.

Quote:
The screen is a 24", very hi res. I still have the old 21" Gateway monitor. Should I just use it to avoid any more confusion. Since I'm already in that frame of mind.[/b]
I'm pretty sure neither of these screens should have any problems with running DOS.

Quote:
Have you played Xeen? My Dummy book was sent "book class" so getting it to where I live will take weeks. Would really like to play Xeen, but, probably a bad idea considering my ignorance of DOS.[/b]
I suggest trying by trial and error. Use the DIR and CD commands to get to the right directories, use the filenames of executable files to run them. That's the basics.

Quote:
You obviously play DOS games. Do you use the DOS box? From other forums and comments, I get the impression that without being a DOS genius, playing it on the old machine might be less of a problem.[/b]
I'm using DosBox for last two years. Before that, I used to have a 486 machine (before I plugged in motherboard power connectors the wrong way and fried it), so playing DOS games was not much of a problem for me.
Configuring DOS machines to run old games can range from simple to complicated, depending on the results you want to achieve.

I wanted to experiment with multiboot and boot menus on the P120 I purchased second-hand last year, but never really got around to doing that.

Quote:
Re: the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Just curious and wanted to look so I left clicked, it flashes on screen and disappears. Right click, get the open, edit, print, scan and so forth window, click open, it does the same thing, flashes and disappears. Shouldn't something open, when you click OPEN?[/b]
Something would open when you choose EDIT. When you try to open a BAT file, your system automatically attempts to run it.

Quote:
Right now the old machine is Win95/98. So, to play a DOS game, don't I have to adjust something (in this DOS batch file) so the machine knows what to do. Or, if I start the machine in DOS mode, does this file become moot?[/b]
Most things should run in the DOS mode no problem. Messing around with the Autoexec and Config files is really a "last resort" kind of solution when all else fails.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman