Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #11
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No,
you are not permited to post topic with link to warez sites. Doing this might just get you in to trouble with admins.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 07-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Zxby
Forum hobbit

Thanks Anubis.
Zxby is offline                         Send a private message to Zxby
Old 07-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
jimmy7512
Forum hobbit

:bye: Is Heroes of might and magic 3 banned ?
jimmy7512 is offline                         Send a private message to jimmy7512
Old 07-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

atari/c64/amiga games emulation is a really interesting chapter of its own, indeed!
but i think it requires a huge amount of work capacity to handle multiple computer
systems. of course, it'd be nice to include more systems in our abandonia project,
but this would mean to loose focus on what abandonia was created for in the first
place: dos games.

today's trend on the web is to deal with as many varieties of a certain topic as
possible, but this intention goes along with a certain loss of quality, imo.
i venture to state, that it's better to keep emphasis on a special direction only,
since this ensures covering all of its essential aspects, rather than trying to deal with
other related "variants".

i for myself am grateful for any site dedicating itself for the sake of software/games
of other classical systems, but i'd prefer abandonia to stick to dos-games only!
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 07-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Strobe@Jun 7 2005, 07:23 PM
atari/c64/amiga games emulation is a really interesting chapter of its own, indeed!
but i think it requires a huge amount of work capacity to handle multiple computer
systems. of course, it'd be nice to include more systems in our abandonia project,
but this would mean to loose focus on what abandonia was created for in the first
place: dos games.

today's trend on the web is to deal with as many varieties of a certain topic as
possible, but this intention goes along with a certain loss of quality, imo.
i venture to state, that it's better to keep emphasis on a special direction only,
since this ensures covering all of its essential aspects, rather than trying to deal with
other related "variants".

i for myself am grateful for any site dedicating itself for the sake of software/games
of other classical systems, but i'd prefer abandonia to stick to dos-games only!
I agree completely. I'd prefer having a site that does one thing but does it very well, instead of a site that does many things not so well. There are other sites out there dedicated to different kinds of emulators and roms. I say, let them focus on that, so that we can focus on DOS games.

If anything, a new site called some like Abandonia Emulated, should be created, but I very much doubt Kosta will be the man for that, having just started AR and all.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 07-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I think you both are not giving right facts. First of all, there is not much Amiga (or other systems) sites that provides reviews, games and support like this site. There are for example LemonAmiga and EAB, but both of them do not offer any games, and on the other hand you have back2roots.com that offers games, but no reviews.

Second thing is not to create additional site (which require additional resources), but to add those games to current site.

As of last month, we are more likely to add a lot of 'not well known' games (we don't have to discuss why now, do we?) and instead of making abandonia biger verticaly(which means adding all not so great games) we can do it horisontaly, offering great games for other systems.

And don't forget that Abandonia will greatly gain from this. (Visits and new users)
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #17
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

As I said I'm all for the idea, but since this is the HOME OF ABANDONED DOS GAMES - I guess that if we consider games from other systems, then only those we already have for DOS (in order to compare the games).

This would put the games in certain perspective and would show the development of DOS games.
If you compare DOS, C64 and Amiga's Defender of the Crown you'll see that PC was far behind.
If you do the same with the game Weird Dreams you'll see the DOS game has surpased the C64 version (not so sure about Amiga anymore).
But later on you'd see just when DOS became better then Amiga.

But I'm not for this site hosting games that aren't made for DOS. For that we'd need another site - Abandonia Emulation (catchy name) is a good suggestion, but I doubt it will happen any time soon (but then again - we're all fairly young still).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #18
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jun 7 2005, 01:08 PM
But I'm not for this site hosting games that aren't made for DOS. For that we'd need another site - Abandonia Emulation (catchy name) is a good suggestion, but I doubt it will happen any time soon (but then again - we're all fairly young still).
LOL

Good one.... k:
Old 07-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #19
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy7512@Jun 7 2005, 05:14 PM
:bye: Is Heroes of might and magic 3 banned ?
well, it's very much not abandoned, so yes.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Jun 7 2005, 07:58 PM
And don't forget that Abandonia will greatly gain from this. (Visits and new users)
that might be true, anubis.

but if we chose to expand abandonia's content for other systems, we would have
to set up a bigger crew of active ppl for this expansion - since i think all of us
are aware of the fact, that such plans will require a lot more work...
without having a guarantee from at least 8-10 members to put a huge amount
of effort into offering games, reviews and such for new systems, this idea is not
realizable!

anyway, i think offering games for other systems is a matter of dedication in the
first place. abandonia was founded for keeping DOS-games alive, which was
kosta's intention. so we should check out his opinion about whether supporting
other systems would meet his consideration...
just to put up an example: i suppose, you know the german car manufacturing
company "porsche" or "ferrari". their basic intention is to produce fast sports cars.
what if they decide to manufacture vans? of course, this would be a welcome
change for a certain range of customers. but doesn't this alter the special image
such companies deliver since they have been founded?

i know, some of you might think this is a bad example. but think twice.
in some cases it's better to be limited and focused on certain aspects, rather than
to serve the masses for the sake of more "customers"... know what i mean?
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe