Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Zxby
Forum hobbit

I wonder, would it be possible to include other operating system game files on each game? IE. In the game Black Cauldron, you can not only have the dos file, but also the amiga file as well.

These games may not be found on the web site (or any other sites for that matter) in Windows or DOS format, but in most cases, the games CAN be found in the Amiga or Commodore 64/128 to be used with an emulator. And in MANY MANY cases, the Amiga versions are 10 times better than the DOS or Windows versions.

Just curious if there is any support for this idea?

Anthony
Zxby is offline                         Send a private message to Zxby
Old 07-06-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I don't think so. Not quite sure, but emulators are risky buisness. At least that is what I have come to learn.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Jun 7 2005, 01:20 AM
I don't think so. Not quite sure, but emulators are risky buisness. At least that is what I have come to learn.
dosbox is an emulator!

i dont really understand the original poster's idea. if he means that having alternate ports of games, i dont think its really what abandonia was about.. i thought it was P.C games only! although often i will mention if i know a game is also available on amiga/c64 or an original arcade version, in the forum post for the game.
if he means it to be a way of getting around the 'banned' games... its a terrible idea, that doesnt make sense.. because the ESA (and others) arent just protecting P.C format.
i know that the Fox lawyers wont let anyone host the CAPCOM arcade version of alien versus predator... not that they even realise its an old arcade game and not the P.C version. they dont care. if they own it, they`ll jump all over anyone who breaks the copyright. no exceptions!
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 07-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Jun 7 2005, 03:20 AM
I don't think it's any more risky than PC games, if you're careful about what you host. AFAIK the emulators themselves are perfectly legal (although the amiga emulator needs a kickrom, which isn't legal), and hosting the games should be no different about hosting PC games, in that it's illegal, but noone cares (depending on which games you host).

But I agree with Xoopx, I don't think that's what abandonia is about. There are plenty of abandonware sites out there dedicated to roms. Abandonia, however, is dedicated PC games. I do agree, though, that the amiga version of a gam is often superior to the PC version.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 07-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Zxby
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop+Jun 7 2005, 05:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flop @ Jun 7 2005, 05:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tom Henrik@Jun 7 2005, 03:20 AM
I don't think it's any more risky than PC games, if you're careful about what you host. AFAIK the emulators themselves are perfectly legal (although the amiga emulator needs a kickrom, which isn't legal), and hosting the games should be no different about hosting PC games, in that it's illegal, but noone cares (depending on which games you host).

But I agree with Xoopx, I don't think that's what abandonia is about. There are plenty of abandonware sites out there dedicated to roms. Abandonia, however, is dedicated PC games. I do agree, though, that the amiga version of a gam is often superior to the PC version. [/b][/quote]
Hello,

Sorry for the confusion, But I didnt mention ESA in my original post? no worries though. I am aware that ESA protects the game in all formats. I was just curious to see if abandonia community would support other game formats as well as the dos/window formats.

And yes, dosbox is an emulator so it is still possible to offer amiga or other game system formats.

It could be noted that the apple2e system, although not always the best system to play some of these games on, are an alternative to the dos/windows format. In fact, the web site www.virtualapple.com allows you to play any apple2e games (on their lists) on the internet without downloading the game itself. It's quite a nice site.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Jun 6 2005, 08:20 PM
Just as other mentioned, DOSBox and even VDMSounds are emulating software. Same goes for VirtualPC and other virtual machines.

I asked before if it will be possible to host Amiga games, because today less and less you can find Amiga games on the net, and Abandonia can post same games in DOS and Amiga format. (There is none of windows games that I know about, except Civilization/Colonization, which is Workbench game).

Hosting kickstarts is illegal, but we can post a link where to legaly purchase them. (Cloanto's web page)

I can help with this project.

How much amiga games were better you can see just by comparing wings of fury:

Amiga DOS
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 07-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well emulators can be tricky, but that's not really our concern. Giving help on how to use them... well some people are boyond help anyway. The legal issues aren't a real problem. We don't need to host the emulators. Maybe just have links to sites that offer them (most emulators for C64 are free - I guess Amiga ones would be too).

The real question is - do we want this to become reality? I'm all for that idea! This isn't to say that we'd become a C64/Amiga game site, but maybe some games could have an extra file - C64/Amiga file.

So if we'd have a game that was made for those coputers as well we could add them in the extras for the game. This would also give the people some more insight of the game. Many of these games after all have become popular through other systems (especially older games - pre 1990).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
Data
retired

It's not high on the wanted list from an admin point of view I think.
But who knows what the future might bring.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Some games, like Burntime do not have proper sound files (there is no sound effects), and Amiga version is complete.

I can help with C64 too, and with Atari (800, ST) or Apple II.

I am all for this idea!!!
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 07-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Zxby
Forum hobbit

Reply to xoopx.

If we (Abandonia) are no longer alloud to host ESA represented files, then are we users allowed to post a link to the file that a web site hosts for download?

In other words, games that are ESA protected and we dont offer them for download, is it legal AND acceptable for Abandonia to provide a link to a site that DOES allow the game for download. (Note: in most cases, these are non-USA hosted web sites. I know Ive got many gem sites that I use personally, but i dont want to break protocol here.

Anthony