Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-12-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hey, I'm supposed to help set up this wireless at an office, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. Everything is Apple, and that is fine to set up, except for the secretary's desktop. She has a PC, and I need to be able to get her PC to use Apple's AirPort wireless system thing. Is there a specific wireless card I need to use for the two to be compatible?

Also, I've never installed a wireless card into a desktop before. How does one go about it? Does it plug directly into the motherboard like RAM does, or is there some trick.

Any help (quickly) would be fabulous, as I'm supposed to set it up in a little over 24 hours. Thank you!
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 28-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

well, my "home network" is wireless, and I have 3 desktop connected.

However I can't help you much because I don't know how that "Apple AirPort wireless" system thing works. All I can say is that for desktops there are several kinds of cards, I' m using USB 2.0 wireless cards but there are also PCI cards. They are installed like any other ordinary hardware - usually they come with the necessary drivers, but then they will need to be configured (as part of a network, with an IP address and all that stuff). Sorry if this isn't much help :whistle:
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 28-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
duckpatch
Game freak

If she aint using Apple's AirPort then that doesn't matter I think. Just enter the IP address, SSID, etc.

ReamusLQ, you look like a smart lad! What does the wireless card look like? I think I heard Shrek say the answer! Its a PCE card so it should just go into a PCI slot on the motherboard like normal.

I'm too tired to google any answers for the Apple scanerio but I believe you just enter the right details and it will work (If they have WEP makesure you know the key)
duckpatch is offline                         Send a private message to duckpatch