Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #61
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu_Jane View Post
I know this is off topic, but I would just like to state for the record that Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem was the worst film I've ever paid money to see. If we are anything like the humans in the movie, the aliens should nuke us.
Well sequels are usually worse than the original movie, a sequel to Alien vs. Predator certainly not being able to be any better than the original movie which already wasn't the strongest. The only, and best exeption I know is Terminator 2 which in my opinion even surpassed the original Terminator (which on it's own was excellent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
I don't think there is a "goal" for any civilization, just individuals that try to be happy. And that search for happiness is what makes them act in a particular way, join in groups and try to achieve common objetives.

And about stagnation, I think this is the time of history with fastest developement in every subject. Maybe you aren't feeling it in your day to day life, but just take a look at how things are changing in countries such as China or India. Or how many technological advances have been in the last years.

About that film Lulu, well, I hope you didn't expect too much of that kind of sequel for that kind of film...
Oh, nobody said there are no technological breakthroughs, they are numerous and fast paced indeed. It's not that kind of "breakthroughs" I meant.
Take the music from 70's / 80's for example and compare it to music from today. Also compare the modern Star Wars Episode 1-3 (Episode 3 was actually not that bad) to the classic Episode 4-6 and see if there's any difference. It's not that there's no good music or movies anymore, they're just getting more rare, and that's usually a sign of cultural stagnation approaching.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 13-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #62
Tulac
Union Leader

Well IMO music in the 80's was sheer crap, of course there are lots of exceptions but I'd say early 90's were much better music wise. I can't say I agree with your post.
Tulac is offline                         Send a private message to Tulac
Old 13-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #63
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Scatty: That "stagnating culture", that's a load of hooey You only need to look in new places to see culture most alive and kicking and developing. It's the corporate culture that is stagnating, but what the media calls "alternative" is very much alive.

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 13-01-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget