Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
jg007
Super Freak

Default sugestions for the best SNES games to try?

i've got - james pond, yoshi's island, super mario world, zelda, earthworm jim, bubsy 2, chrono triger, bahamut lagoon and tales of phantasia so far

lol yes I did ask this in the chatbox but decided it might be better as a forum post

Last edited by jg007; 20-02-2008 at 06:57 PM.
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 20-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Final Fantasy 2 and 3
Earthbound
Star Ocean
Secret of Mana
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time
Final Fight 3
Contra III - Alien Wars
Harvest Moon
Knights of the Round
Donkey Kong Country

Those are just a few

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 20-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
jg007
Super Freak

thanks, switching off now but will get googling tommorow

( DK country is ESA )
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 20-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Morrin
Underground

I thought I was late...

The best - and one of the few good games on SNES:

SUPER METROID ! ! !
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 20-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

Personal favorite:
Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 20-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

ActRaiser is amongst the best in the SNES era, if you can get past the moronically difficult platforming sequences. Just make sure you're using a gamepad if you're playing via an emulator.

The best part of the game is the simulation mode where you construct an empire under your godly hands and stuff. It's pretty simple but entertaining.

Other than that, the SNES is filled with more mediocrity than it's credited for, there's actually only a handful of games I'd consider worthy of playing on that system. You'd be good with something like Contra 3 if you're intro horizontal scrolling shooters, and games that are hard as piss.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 20-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Contra is certainly not a hard game...

Mega man serie is also a must. Great game, and the story got way better in the X serie.

Also don't miss out on Rock and Roll racing. Great racing game with incredible rock tunes in the background. I think it was on the SNES...
Old 21-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #8
The Coop
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to The Coop

Rather than bomb this thread with my usual list, I'll post just a few...

Actraiser II- While the first game got a lot of attention, this one was kind of pushed aside. It dropped the overhead Populous-like scenes, and expended on the action scenes. Great graphics, nice (but different) music, hard as nails difficulty, good gameplay, and you have to play it on the harder settings to get to see the ending.

Castlevania: Dracula X- Some say it's a port of the famous PC Engine game, but it's not. It only shares a few gameplay aspects (save girls to get the best ending), and a sound track, with that game. The stages and bosses are all new. I think people just got pissed off because they were expecting a new game that played like Super Castlevania IV, and instead got one that looks and sounds great, while playing more like the first game on the NES. The only downside to the game is the cheap hits. They bounce you back, but you don't get a moment of invincibility to recover like so many other Castlevania games give you. Otherwise, this is another great entry to the series.

Demon's Crest- Musically great, graphically gorgeous, challenging, lengthy without over doing it, and it has multiple endings. The different types of gargoyles you can become add exploratory elements, as they'll allow you to go back to previously cleared stages and reach new areas. One of the best games of its kind on the system.

MegaMan X/X2/X3- A trilogy of games that started good, and got better as it progressed. It plays like you'd expect from MegaMan, but even if their gameplay isn't innovative, they're quality stuff nonetheless.

R-Type III: The Third Lightning- A shmup that looks good, sounds good, plays good, and isn't a cakewalk. It's six levels long, and it will kick your ass regularly. A quality entry to the long running series.

Note: Stay far, far away from the GBA version.

Super Castlevania IV- A remake of the first game basically. Nice graphics, good music, a controllable whip, and some (for the time) interesting effects. The only downside is that it's really pretty easy.

Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts- Hard as your nipples in sub-zero weather, this game is brutal, but worth the bruises. Good music, very nice graphics, tough stages, and controls that are on the money (so you can't blame them). Be warned though... you have to play through twice to get the real ending.

Super Mario All-Stars- Remakes of 1, 2 and 3, as well as the so-called 'Lost Levels'. The graphics now look more like Super Mario World in all of them, but they still play the same. The music even got touched up as well.

Super Metroid- It's like Metroid, only bigger, and better on every level. If you own an SNES, you have to own this game. I'm pretty sure it's a law in a few states.

Super Turrican 1 + 2- The classic (and dead?) run 'n gun platforming series came to the SNES with great results. The same quality levels of action, platforming, tunes, challenge, and graphics that made the Amiga games so much fun, are all here.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time- Good tunes, lots of levels, and nice graphics are all here in this hack 'n slash game. But, it's painfully easy, even on Hard. Still, it's very cheap these days, and worth getting.

There are a few of my choices.

Last edited by The Coop; 21-02-2008 at 03:12 AM.
The Coop is offline                         Send a private message to The Coop
Old 21-02-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
Super Mario All-Stars- Remakes of 1, 2 and 3, as well as the so-called 'Lost Levels'. The graphics now look more like Super Mario World in all of them, but they still play the same. The music even got touched up as well.
This brings quiet some fustration to the player.. heheh... good ol' lost levels.
Old 21-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
JJXB
Pi-voh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gufu1992 View Post
This brings quiet some fustration to the player.. heheh... good ol' lost levels.
lost levels was the japanese version of SMB2 since they thought it would be too hard to bring out in other countries so they rebranded "Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic" as SMB 2 then bought it out in the US and UK and any other country.

as for the original topic, try Star ocean if you can. It's from the resulting offshoot from the ToP development team (Tri-ace) that went on to make Valkyrie profile amongst other things. It's well worth a play

Also try "BS Zelda no Densetsu Remix", "Seiken Densetsu III" (Sequel to secret of mana) and "BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2". and yes, Zelda no densetsu is the original jap name for The legend of zelda (the first NES game)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB