Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
Szaemon

Hello.
This post specificaly aimed at the Great Abandonian Gods.
Thank you for such a usefull and WELL maintained site! Great Job! Hats off to you all! I'm sure there is an apropriate smiley for this ... perhaps this one k: Being the incurable Noob that I am, I'm not not sure what some of these smileys actualy mean. But I digress...Thanks!

I have a few basic questions about site funtcionality and starting a new topic seem the best the best place for them, if I am incorrect fell free to move my request to whatever location you think best...except the recycle bin..please. As I was looking for an apropriate forum for my questions I didn't see a general questions section and all of these "general" topics actually seemed quite specific.

Questions:
1) If I try to post a New Topic I usually find that I am forbidden from doing so. Would this likely be because of the site's design or is there some adjustment I need to make? I find myself asking for assistance in the form of replying to someone else's entirely unrelated comment,question,or story. People have been nice about it, but I'm not sure this is polite on my part.

2) When I do post a question I like to get my responses in my email or else I will forget where I posted my question and then never be able to benefit from the answer or thank the person who supplied it. However, I don't wish to recieve a mail for every new post that comes onto the forum, just the ones that are in reply to my question. Is this possible or am I asking to much?

3) Why does my Avatar read "newbee spammer" beneath it? Is this a default title for Noobs? Spammer is something of a modern curse word. It's one thing to call me igorant of the basic workings of the site (or anything regarding computers) but spammer implies A** wHOLE other meaning and is not unlike that of another 7 letter word refering to the location of a fecal exodus.

That's all I have.
Thaks again for an Exceptional site!!!
Szaemon is offline                         Send a private message to Szaemon
Old 17-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

1) No idea. Unless you are logged in as a guest in certain forum - or (more likely) that you are trying to start a topic in the Games on Abandonia forum.

You can't. Each game on the site gets one topic at the time of its update, and only mods and admins can start a new topic there.

2) If you post your email anywhere on the board, a mod will remove it upon sight. And to find your question - if you forgot where you posted it - simply do a Search for posts with your name. Or go into your profile, click on options (top right corner) and choose "Show all posts by this user". You only have 10 posts, so it shouldn't take too long to find your post

3) It's a standard title. It is dependant on your post count. You will be Newbee Spammer until you have a count of 25 posts. It's meant as a small joke, and also to encourage you to post more, so that you get rid of that title, and become a bigger part of the community. Every single member on this forum, including the owner and the admins have had that title. So it's not something we have done to laugh at newcomers. Think of it as an incentive to become more active
Old 17-08-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
Hamster of Doom
Abandonia nerd

I´m not really a longtime forum user, but I think, I can answer some of your questions.

1) Hm...you actually created a new thread. This thread... So there doesn´t seem to be a problem.
But maybe you tried to make a new topic in a "wrong" forum. Normal users are unable to create new topics in "Important announcements!" and "Abandonia games discussion". Users are only able to reply to already existing threads in these two fora.

2) When you create a new topic (or just write a reply in a thread) you will find a box with 3 "Post Options". There you can enable the option "email notification of replies". That shoulb be, what you´re searching for.

3) Yes, "Newbee Spammer" is a default user title. After some posts (25, I think) it will change to "Forum hobbit".

I hope, I could help you with this. (And I also hope, that the answers are correct. )

edit: Tom Henrik was faster. <_<
Hamster of Doom is offline                         Send a private message to Hamster of Doom
Old 17-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #4
Szaemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Aug 17 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]249068[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
1) ... you are trying to start a topic in the Games on Abandonia forum...
[/b]
Yes Sir, that's exactly what I was doing. I suppose the fact that that's not allowed is written somewhere and I should learned it before now. Thanks.
edit: then again perhaps it helps to read the error messege...I just tried posting my new questions and learned a new word "Flood Control"

2) very useful response thank you, it hadn't occured to me that I could just search for my own posts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Aug 17,2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]249068[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
3)Think of it as an incentive to become more active
[/b]
OK I will. Being more active shouldn'd be too difficult, I am quite an ignorant fellow so I have many questions to ask. In fact I can think of 2 more right now. Thanks again for your help
Old 17-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
Szaemon

Yup Tom Henrik was faster but your response is no less apreciated. Besides, he is Admin, right? He's suppose to be faster. Thank You.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hamster of Doom @ Aug 17 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]249069[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
2) When you create a new topic (or just write a reply in a thread) you will find a box with 3 "Post Options". There you can enable the option "email notification of replies". That shoulb be, what you´re searching for.
[/b]
In fact that is what I have been using. It is quite useful and I'm glad to have it. It would be perfect if I could just get replies to my question instead of anything new that gets posted on the topic. However as I have been posting under the games forum, I realize that it can't be done.

Thanks Again!
Old 17-08-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Szaemon

Thanks for such quick responses to my previous questions. I have a couple more if someone has the time to spare will to answer I would be greatful.

1) How can I change my Log On ID. "Szaemon"? I've had an epiphany and now I can think of a much more apropriate name.

2) Why doesn't copy and paste work when I'm using this site. I think it is intentinal on the part of the administrators, but what's the reason?

Thanks again for any help the community can offer.
Bye for now
Old 17-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Data
retired

Topics merged. Please don't flood the forum.

1) you can't. Admins can, but we won't do it (that often). So you have to life with it.

2). It works fine. It's probably an error from your side. Maybe get a different webbrowser.
Old 17-08-2006, 06:41 AM   #8
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Szaemon @ Aug 17 2006, 04:27 AM) [snapback]249075[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
1) How can I change my Log On ID. "Szaemon"? I've had an epiphany and now I can think of a much more apropriate name.[/b]
PM an admin (not Kosta, though; he's on holiday) and ask him to change it for you. Don't do this too often, though.

Quote:
2) Why doesn't copy and paste work when I'm using this site. I think it is intentinal on the part of the administrators, but what's the reason?[/b]
Never noticed that. It's always worked fine for me, I think...

One more thing, though: even if you're replying to several people, try not to double- or triple-post. It will raise your postcount, but it usually doesn't go down too well with regular forum members. If you want the reference to the post you're quoting, you can use tags:
[quote] will give you the original poster's name and [quote] will give you (surprise, surprise) date and time as well. You'll still need to close the quote tags, of course.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 17-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Szaemon @ Aug 17 2006, 03:49 AM) [snapback]249071[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Aug 17,2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]249068[/snapback]
Quote:
3)Think of it as an incentive to become more active
[/b]
OK I will. Being more active shouldn'd be too difficult, I am quite an ignorant fellow so I have many questions to ask. In fact I can think of 2 more right now. Thanks again for your help
[/b][/quote]
You know, it's kind of ironic that in trying to overcome the title of newby spammer you became a spammer. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that.

Don't be in such a hurry to ditch the title, dude. The next one up is "dirty scoundrel" and you need 200 posts to graduate that one.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 18-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Uhm... what about either stepping down on your sarcasm, or start using smileys, Guesst? It's getting annoying to try to figure out if you are joking or sincere. And most of the time, it makes you look like an annoying and insulting dude. Sorry to say it, but it does.

Anyways, the next is "Forum Hobbit" and it comes at 25 posts.