Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Ravenloft - Strahd's Possession

Feel free to discuss the game and give hints and tips here.

Download here (if available)
Old 17-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Doomz

This game is great! Extremely atmospheric with a very eerie soundtrack. I bought the full version of the game a while back, played it all the way through and enjoyed it alot.
Doomz is offline                         Send a private message to Doomz
Old 17-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Unregistrered
Default Not a great one for me

I got this game back in 1994? on a disc that also Al-Qadim and Darksun (first game) on it. I liked Darksun better. Darksun is bleak and hard, Al-Qadim is a real adventure, and Ravenloft is the serious of the bunch.

This game has definitely good sides, but it is something else. I could only ever stand it for a couple of hours.

I never liked the balance between your starting characters and the world they live in. From their portraits and character sheets they seem too polished, too goody-goody and clean cut. The world has nasty wolves and poison and vampires. They should be dirty and bloody and hurt, not packing fresh colors and sparkling scrolls.

Some of the NPCs you meet are acting way over the top. The choices for the dialogue doesn't help. All NPCs speak in this incredibly theatrical way, like "I am done for, it is clear for all to see... I yeild, I am at your mercy..." Enough with the goth acting already, I've had my fill for this life.

All the lady-NPCs have big boobs. Who doesn't like big boobs? I guess the graphics designer wasn't gettin' any, well, it completely destroyed the atmosphere when I met the lady-ninja with a shirt about to burst.

I never really got into the part about the "realm in between", hidden by the mist and so on... If you touch it, you're wounded? Some of my friends wanted to play pen and paper Ravenloft, but I always declined, having seen this.

Old 18-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Excellent release, Abandonia
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 18-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

@Unregistered the Heroes are not from Ravenloft, they are from the Material Realm. The Mists hurting you is not something used in the P&P version of the game though with some of the Dark Lords when they close the borders the Mists will change to something that might hurt you. Also in the P&P game the Player Characters are normally from the Realms in Ravenloft and don't even know about the Material Realms, though it is possible to play someone from the Material Realm you get a few disadvantages.

It is a pity you never tried out the P&P version because you would have found one of the best D&D modules out there with some of the best stories and atmosphere.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 18-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
byron45

Default Review

Quote:
Though the CD version includes refined graphics and extra detail like bats and the like flying around, these are just visual aspects and do not affect the player at all.
The CD version does include additional NPC, dungeons and quests, making it a "bigger" game.

Quote:
Sadly this game is not perfect; as in many SSI games, bugs can be found, and some can be break your game. While playing this game to review it I found myself unable to move through certain doors and had to restart the game to move through them. And so far I have had trouble keeping NPCs in my party, as they seem to leave randomly, dumping all their gear at my feet.
Most of the versions of Strahd's Possession are quite buggy (the one from the AD&D Masterpiece Collection is bug free, though), but the leaving of NPCs is not a bug, but a feature. The story requires the cleric and the fighter to leave the party after exiting the catacombs beneath the Ivlis.

Last edited by byron45; 26-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.
byron45 is offline                         Send a private message to byron45
Old 20-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default BRAVO

I would like to THANK

both Hunvagy and DarthHelmet86 for their perfect work!!

I played the game already, but many AB members now have the chance to meet and destroy bad Ravenloft..

I will wish You both big luck with next saga game -
Stone Prophet...

yoga
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 29-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
Guest Guest
Default Yeah

Looks interesting, but the character portraits kinda suck. This is an RPG, so getting into the character is part of it right? Well playing a ranger without a decent portrait. Hmm Lets see, should I play the Human Ranger with the guy who looks like a barbarian? Or the one that looks like a swarthy hobbit or old wizard? I tried a human thief, but the only one that looked like the thief I wanted to role-play was an aged guy in a hood, who was obviously a wizard, but what the hell. But then I was stumped when rolling attributes, the character sheets only show human character ages from like 16-19 yrs old. That doesnt go with the character picture. So what I'm saying is that they should have put in more pictures to select from, but they seem to have this problem with alot of RPGs. I had this same gripe even when playing games like Baldurs Gate, though the limited pics are a bit more workable. With Ravenloft, I guess if you are playing a hobbit, dwarf or hobbit wizard you are good to go, baby

Old 29-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Guest View Post
I had this same gripe even when playing games like Baldurs Gate, though the limited pics are a bit more workable
You can add your own portraits in Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 to select for characters, though. If you like any custom ones, I can send you few dozens of good ones (in my opinion).
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 30-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Guest Guest
Default wha

Thats cool that you can add pictures to Baldurs Gate. See, that's thinking about the players. Maybe I dont wanna play a hobbit pimp (you know the pic im talkin about), but the makers of Ravenloft thought otherwise I guess.
Its too bad though I stopped playing BG awhile back and gave it to someone else. Sometimes a small issue like bad player pics will stop me from playing a game, but with Baldurs Gate, I just plain didn't like the other adventurers in the party. LOL