Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #31
Floyd the Techno-Nerd Rat

It seems to me that Saxon Ladies don't get kidnapped as often as in other versions of the game for other computers.

I have to play the DOS version several dozen times before a rescue attempt option comes up...

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 19-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #32
Still Big D

Go on someone, tell me what keys I can use to do raids, rescues and jousting with the PC! Tough game otherwise. Castle sieges are REALLY tough, and I could swear that enemy castles repair quickly compared to your own ones.

D

Old 20-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #33
zxczxc

this is great game on the c64 , even though the graphics on the amiga are nicer , the amiga is still missing a few things that the c64 version has.. i think the game in general is relatively simple to win , like that person said before , there is not much need for knighs etc ... the game is still good on the pc .

Actually one of the nicest versions of D.O.C i saw was on the mac! , it was much more complex in the battles with more options etc .. nice graphics, and just seemed like a better made game .
zxczxc is offline                         Send a private message to zxczxc
Old 19-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #34
mdeba

I was expecting a lot more discussion of this game. Such a pearler..
This was my favourite game back in the 80s on the commodore 64. Not much more to say, really.

There has been a few attempts at remakes though.

The Robin Hood version was very cinematic and attempted to capture the mainstream attention.
The 'Heroes live forever' flash version was well made but a bit too nerdy.

<rant>

There was another cinemaware direct remake of the original that was just disgusting. I paid ~$20 for it this year, too. (as a loyal supporter) Yes, they had updated the graphics a bit (slightly better than amiga version), but they had lost the feel of the game all together!! The combat outcomes were perplexing, and the AI was downright stupid. (a lot of attacking with 0 men). The mini games (jousting etc) were best avoided, as well.

And they stuffed the music up as well..

</rant>
Old 19-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #35
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

It's too easy to play as it is, but the trained c64 version is great. Starting with 0 gold and 0 men is really a fun challenge.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 19-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #36
mdeba

Yeah I'd agree the original was two easy. I remember winning it (when i was 10) with wolfric the wild (Average-Weak-Average) in the absolute minimum number of moves. I kept playing it though

But I guess I'm just a sucker for the medieval..

the map wasn't divided up enough i guess. you were two turns away from most enemies..

Changing the starting stats sounds interesting. Can you do the same with the normans?
Old 20-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #37
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdeba @ Aug 19 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]305545[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
. Changing the starting stats sounds interesting. Can you do the same with the normans? [/b]
Don't know how, the trained version only allowed to change your money and army at the start and unit prices.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #38
boomshanka

every single friend of mine who had an Amiga had this game .

i've never won a joust . . . . .. .. . . bit like real life

boomshanka is offline                         Send a private message to boomshanka
Old 13-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #39
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

OK, I've replaced the original screenshots - they were in 4 color CGA mode, and the game is fully capable of nice 16 color EGA graphics, which acctually still look passable today (although they are dated). Just start the game with DEFENDER (and don't press F1), instead of DOC file.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #40
ysorian
Uneducated Member

i played this game continuously for many years and loved every second but i see from the other posts i dont need to espouse its virtues lol but im surprised the three stooges doesnt seem to be on this sight i loved the way it started with the DOTC title screen! and a slightly entertaining game for children (as i was)

when it comes to raiding it was made simple if u were "Longsword" all u had to do was hold down the enter key... no parrying for that man!

Last edited by ysorian; 07-06-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: just a lil tidbit for all
ysorian is offline                         Send a private message to ysorian