Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

I cried when Riven and Exile ended.
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 20-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Riven... well I didn't really understand riven too well (I always forgot to read the books) and I was pretty much clueless about what was going on. When I met Ghen I was like "ah, excellent! Finally, somebody who doesn't run away from me... why am I in a cage?"
Riven relied too much on heavy reading in order to understand the plot, while in Exile they found a perfect balance. In exile the story progressed through monologues narrated by Atrus and Saaverdo while the books and scrolls gave the player further insight into Saaverdo. The ending was really nice too, really cinematic, not to mention that there were serveral endings... while in Exile I believe there was a bad ending and a really short ending which, I suppose, is a good ending.
Myst IV was loads of fun but I haven't finished it, I had to start 5 times over, and now that I have to redo it all again I really don't want to (pity there aren't any saves up for download anywhere) I really don't want to redo all the silly puzzles in Tomahna over again... I wish I could find a save where I am automatically standing in front of the two linkingbooks.
Old 27-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Just made a "full install" of Riven on my computer.... oooooo this is going to be GOOD
The sound and music is GREAT!
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 27-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

It should be. The (only) thing that really drove me away from Riven was the fact that you had to change CD's every five minutes :not_ok:
It really was a beautifull game, though. I found it even more fascinating then Myst, and Myst had already enchanted me.
Old 27-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

That's why I made the "full install". I HATE disc swapping...

*edit*

Been playing for a couple of hours and it ROCKS! A shame it's low resolution by todays standards, but hey the sound/music is awesome and after a while you forget about the resolution and start admiring the graphics instead. k:

The best thing is, when I'm done with this one I have Exile and Revelation left
Old 29-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #16
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Jul 20 2005, 09:17 AM
Riven relied too much on heavy reading in order to understand the plot...
Heavy reading? I've yet to find a single book (apart from the journal Atrus gave me).
Old 29-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

There are quite a few large books and journals scattered throughout the game if memory serves me right.
Atrus's journal is no breeze either, they should have given it with the game as a booklet instead of having players stare at the screen all the way through (my eyes!)
Old 30-07-2005, 07:58 AM   #18
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Then I can't have gotten too far into the game yet. I'm not sure what to think of the game's openendedness. I seem to wandering around exploring and finding clues... solving stuff here and there, but I'm still kind of lost. I don't have a solid goal apart from the "capture Gehn" and "rescue Catherine" thing. I didn't find the journal that heavy a read. Actually I would welcome a book right about now to fill in some gaps. I've mainly put two and two together from the various pictures and sightings I've encountered on my way. Still nothing is certain, just theories.

A fine fine game k:
Old 30-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #19
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Yeah that's one thing about Riven quite a few people dislike, the player is left without a clue as to what exactly he is supposed to do, and the possibility to explore pretty much the entire gameworld without restrictions doesn't help much either.
Myst III is more direct since the player is actually told what he is supposed to do (solve the training ages which have been destroyed by the villain. And the clues to a puzzle in each age can be found either in that age or in the Hub Age (where the game actually starts)

Myst IV starts out with Atrus actually giving you instructions and the rest becomes more or less obvious after that.

I wonder what Myst V will be like, the graphics are fantastic.
Old 30-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #20
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Yeah Myst V looks real good. I really prefer the 3D engine of realMyst compared to the slides of Myst Masterpiece. And Myst V has a 3D engine if I'm not mistaken.