Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Hans Moleman
Default Wizardry 2 - Knight of Diamonds - successful running with Dosbox?

Hi,

has anyone been able to successfully play Wizardry II Knight of Diamonds using the Abandonia download and DOSBox?

I completed Wizardry 1, and then attempted to move characters from Wiz1 to Wiz2 using the instructions I found here.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...t=27027&page=2

this sort of worked. The characters transferred, but two 'blank' characters also appeared, seemingly corrupt characters.

Wiz2 would still start, but the game would crash shortly after. Getting the same issue noted here

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=33115

at the end, the suggestion was to find a 'clean' Wizardry 2 download. I tried with the download here at Abandonia, but it didn't work, so was curious to know if anyone has verified that it can and does work.

I assume the issue is in the transfer procedure, so if there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Old 30-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
Hi,

has anyone been able to successfully play Wizardry II Knight of Diamonds using the Abandonia download and DOSBox?

I completed Wizardry 1, and then attempted to move characters from Wiz1 to Wiz2 using the instructions I found here.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...t=27027&page=2

this sort of worked. The characters transferred, but two 'blank' characters also appeared, seemingly corrupt characters.

Wiz2 would still start, but the game would crash shortly after. Getting the same issue noted here

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=33115

at the end, the suggestion was to find a 'clean' Wizardry 2 download. I tried with the download here at Abandonia, but it didn't work, so was curious to know if anyone has verified that it can and does work.

I assume the issue is in the transfer procedure, so if there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Hi, mate,
Sorry, i completed Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 only.
If i am not wrong and my memory serves me well i have no any problem to transfer characters from early version, using the last save. But the advantages were some weapons only and i decided to play with new heroes.
May i very politely advise You to leave this trouble procedure, save Yr nerves and enjoyed the new game?
I like RPG very much and my completed games are about 96 targeting 100.
Good luck!!
Wizardry is nice series.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Hans Moleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post

Hi, mate,
Sorry, i completed Wizardry 6, 7 and 8 only.
If i am not wrong and my memory serves me well i have no any problem to transfer characters from early version, using the last save. But the advantages were some weapons only and i decided to play with new heroes.
May i very politely advise You to leave this trouble procedure, save Yr nerves and enjoyed the new game?
I like RPG very much and my completed games are about 96 targeting 100.
Good luck!!
Wizardry is nice series.
Hi,

thanks for the reply! Still, though, I'm not sure I followed. The suggestion was to use new characters in Wizardry II? Unfortunately that is not possible, the game is only playable with transferred characters, you cannot create new characters in it.

So that's why I was hoping someone could clarify which exact versions (downloads) of Wiz1/Wiz2 they have used (since, according to other topics in this forums, it does actually work).

Does anyone have the original CD of the Ultimate Wizardry Archives? Since I do know for sure that that worked (as I had that, way long ago, but sadly lost the CD). Not sure if that collection counts as abandonware.

Anyway, if someone has managed to get Knight of Diamonds working with abandonware downloads, please confirm which versions/downloads were used.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Guten Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
Hi,

thanks for the reply! Still, though, I'm not sure I followed. The suggestion was to use new characters in Wizardry II? Unfortunately that is not possible, the game is only playable with transferred characters, you cannot create new characters in it.

So that's why I was hoping someone could clarify which exact versions (downloads) of Wiz1/Wiz2 they have used (since, according to other topics in this forums, it does actually work).

Does anyone have the original CD of the Ultimate Wizardry Archives? Since I do know for sure that that worked (as I had that, way long ago, but sadly lost the CD). Not sure if that collection counts as abandonware.

Anyway, if someone has managed to get Knight of Diamonds working with abandonware downloads, please confirm which versions/downloads were used.

Thanks!

Wow!
Please to be excused for wrong "help".
I do not know the fact that the gamer is not able to start Wizardry II with new characters.
Anyway i want to help You really:
-Good friend of mine gives me file named Ultimate Wizardry Archives.iso with volume about 625 MB.
As i told before i played Wiz 6,7,8 only but not earlier versions.
I do not open this file still.
If You think this file may helps You to solve Yr problem i am ready and will be pleased to send it to You.
For more details concerning sending details You may use PM.
yoga
Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

You can extract Wiz1-3 from there, Yoga, it not needed to send _whole_ CD...
Old 05-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
You can extract Wiz1-3 from there, Yoga, it not needed to send _whole_ CD...

Really?
Ha ha ha
Xmmm...my games are better,dear SS.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
TimP

yoga and Hans Moleman,

Did you ever sort out a solution to this error? I think I'm seeing the same thing. I found one alternative download for Wizardry 2, but a quick test shows exactly the same symptoms - 2 extra unnamed and corrupt characters, and hard crashes in Boltac's for selling or identifying.

It sounds like the wiz2.dsk in these archives may have been corrupted before we've even gotten to it.

I won Wizardry 1 for the first time just a little bit back, spent a little time this week hunting for a thieve's dagger and finally gave up, eager to move on. This is ruining my plans for a wasted weekend

Old 19-09-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i have attached uncorrupted (hopefully) .dsk files in the post attachment - there's wizardry 1 to 3 in the archive coming from the "ultimate wizardry archives" cd

the attachment limit is 1.9mb or something, that's why i only attaced 3 of them. if you want all the first 5 dos episodes (2.18mb), in case other files are corrupted, they are here
Attached Files
File Type: zip wizardry1to3.zip (1.29 MB, 669 views)
Old 20-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
TimP

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
i have attached uncorrupted (hopefully) .dsk files in the post attachment - there's wizardry 1 to 3 in the archive coming from the "ultimate wizardry archives" cd

the attachment limit is 1.9mb or something, that's why i only attaced 3 of them. if you want all the first 5 dos episodes (2.18mb), in case other files are corrupted, they are here
Thanks so much, Russ! These do look good, there are some characters already present, and I am able to Move the Wiz1 characters to Wizardry 2.

I'm still mucking around a bit - my Wizardry 1 playthrough apparently was not based on the Ultimate Archives version, so the DSK system is a little different. I have not been able to move mine yet, but worst case I can now start over.

Thanks again!

Old 20-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
TimP

Followup - got my own wiz1 characters patched in and imported successfully. Well, I think so - is it right that they lose ALL equipment on the move? I thought it was just stuff like the bear statue and blue ribbon, maybe some of the elite items like muramasa blade too. But it's been a very very long time. I've forgotten much more important stuff since I last had access to these games.

I couldn't figure out a high level scheme for swapping my 320k WIZ1.DSK file into this archives version that uses a 320k WIZn.DSK plus 640k SAVEn.DSK. So I got a decent binary diff trial program and freeware binary editor (frhed) and manually merged the parts that were clearly associated with character data from my WIZ1.dsk to this new SAVE1.DSK. I patched one other section that looked like inventory counts for Boltac's - probably of no use even if I do visit Werdna again, but relatively easy. I would not recommend this if you are inexperienced with hex view and editing, but there seem to be no tricky parts with checksums or even differences in offsets or data structures in the mostly identical first half of these files.