Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Do you think we should use p2p?
bittorrent 9 40.91%
direct connect 9 40.91%
other (if so please post) 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
DOSGamar

i think we should switch to bittorrent
DOSGamar is offline                         Send a private message to DOSGamar
Old 08-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

I'm no techie, so I have no opinion in the matter.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Direct Connect, Bittorent leads to people being greedy and not sharing. Also the speeds are usually much slower. I'd say use direct connect for main, offer bittorent as secondary.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Do you think we should use p2p[/b]
There is really no option on the poll which allow me to vote according to my own oppinion... It's like saying "do you want ketchup or ketchup with that?"...

I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
verdistas

I like and use Emule, it´s the best to use to download, legal stuff
verdistas is offline                         Send a private message to verdistas
Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

BitTorrent requires that everyone be sharing. Personally, when I use BitTorrent I turn it off as soon as I get the file I want to download.

Also, most of the games on this site aren't very large, so direct download doesn't take very long in the first place.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Reamus, the point is:
We could use P2P to distribute larger files, for example while a CD-Rip version of a game would be available for direct download from Abandonia, a full archive (or maybe an ISO) could be distributed by P2P.

BitTorrent seems the most controllable one (don't know about DC, really), as BT services require a centralized "tracker".
In other words, if we'd for some reason want to stop a given game being distributed, we'd just remove that torrent from the tracker.
BT is also pretty fast, and the download rates in it are very much determined by how much one is uploading.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #8
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

I guess it could also save bandwidth, right?

Some places require you to have a 1/1 share ratio which means if you download 500mb, you must give back 500mb to the community. I don't know if everyone thinks thats a good idea, but I do...
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 09-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Then there's ESA and that crowd. They're fully aware of the fact that sites offering torrents only are harder to come down on than sites offering the files. Maybe their goodwill towards Ab is strengthened by the fact that Ab's vault makes it easier for them to control. I really don't know, but still.

Second: By offer torrents, will the games still be "Abandonia's"? I mean, wouldn't it be possible for other trackers to track the games, and in doing so, leeching Abandonia? If the p2p could be a "through Abandonia only"...? Then again: By making the games more available, means that they won't be forgotten that easily.

Third: If other trackers can track the games that originally came from Abandonia, and ESA decide to withdraw the permission for a particular game, then would that mean trouble for Ab?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Nov 9 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]266049[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Second: By offer torrents, will the games still be "Abandonia's"? I mean, wouldn't it be possible for other trackers to track the games, and in doing so, leeching Abandonia? If the p2p could be a "through Abandonia only"...? Then again: By making the games more available, means that they won't be forgotten that easily.[/b]
The forget-thing is very true. But I wouldn't like that the people don't get in contact with the game don't get in contact with Abandonia. That's a downside for Abandonia as well -> ads and stuff.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ post)</div>
Quote:
Third: If other trackers can track the games that originally came from Abandonia, and ESA decide to withdraw the permission for a particular game, then would that mean trouble for Ab?[/b]
This is the worst thing cause you can't even make sure that when a game is "re-protected" that the people who downloaded it in the legal time really erase it from their harddisks. Comparable with the ROMs-issue.