Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Damo

Hi guys and girls, I am looking for games that are like Monkey Island, Discworld etc
I am a big fan of them and would like to play more.
I dont mind if they are abandonware or still licensed.

Any help in finding games like this would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in avance
Damo is offline                         Send a private message to Damo
Old 02-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Damo @ Oct 2 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]258762[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi guys and girls, I am looking for games that are like Monkey Island, Discworld etc
I am a big fan of them and would like to play more.
I dont mind if they are abandonware or still licensed.

Any help in finding games like this would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks in avance
[/b]
Well aside from all the sequels to Monkey Island and Discworld we have (I'm assuming you're referring to all 3'rd person point and clicks).
  1. Syberia 1 & 2
  2. Kyrandia 1, 2 & 3
  3. Gabriel Knight
  4. Black Mirror
  5. Longest Journey
  6. The Dig
  7. Day of the Tentacle
  8. Sam and Max
  9. Full Throttle
  10. Indiana Jones and last crusade
  11. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
  12. Moment of Silence
  13. Beneath a steel sky
  14. Flight of the amazon queen
  15. Lure of the Temptress
  16. Kings Quest 5, 6 & 7
  17. Space Quest 5 & 6
  18. Simon the Sorceror 1 & 2
  19. Feeble Files
  20. LOOM
  21. Zak McKracken
  22. Manian Mansion
  23. + many more
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Krustacean
Forum hobbit

All good reccomendations. There is an abundance of the genre but I really haven't played anything that got me the same way as MI 1. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the age that I played it. I didn't even realize you couldn't lose and saved like I was always just about to. I didn't even get a lot of the humor.

Now that I do it contrasts largely with the in-joke/mythological references employed by the Quest games. That said, the Quest For Glory games got the story and world right. All the Kings Quest games are genius but also pretty reserved when it comes to humor. Its the opposite for the Space Quest games, I liked 6 the most. The Indiana games are great but I never finished them or got into the films. Obviously being Lucas they feel very similar to MI series.

I'm not big on walkthroughs and got stuck on the Dig quite a bit but it seems to have witty written all over it. It could be one of my favorites if I ever get around to finishing it. I'll say it is the only one since MI to give me the feeling of the cast being as important as the hero.

Bioforge is another inventory/story driven 3rd person game though in 3d. Its dark and not funny at all really but a great adventure game no less.

There is also a Scooby Doo Mystery game for Genesis-Megadrive in style of MI or Maniac Mansion thats a pretty quick play.
Krustacean is offline                         Send a private message to Krustacean
Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Dam0

Thanks for the list, there are quite a fwe there I have not played.
Incase you are curious I was banned for asking this same question in aother thread. Accused of cheating.
Really appreciate your help guys and gals.
Looks like I have some good games to play
Dam0 is offline                         Send a private message to Dam0
Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Banned for such a question?

Anyway, I'm sad to say that there are not games LIKE MI... but the list by MdaG contain good games and I wanna just to add another suggestion: Touchè, the adventures of the fifth musketeer.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Jontzzu
Abandonia nerd

The Neverhood
REALLY good point'n'click game. The plot itself is pretty "interesting". When you begin the game, you know nothing about the plot. And this is what makes Neverhood interesting. You have to collect special video disks and play them in the video devices (you'll find these disks and devices throughout the game). In these disks a friend of yours will tell you, why the things are like this, who are you, and so on. The graphics are great. The characters, surroundings and everything else is made from clay. That's right! Clay. There are also some videoclips, which will guide you further in The Neverhoods secrets. Absolutely brilliant game! It's worth downloading (I know only one page where Neverhood's full version can be downloaded for free)
Jontzzu is offline                         Send a private message to Jontzzu
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Oh yes! The Neverhood is definitely a good game!

Expecially if you like clay, like me :w00t:
Old 07-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Jontzzu
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quintopotere @ Oct 7 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]259968[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh yes! The Neverhood is definitely a good game!

Expecially if you like clay, like me :w00t:
[/b]
That makes two of us k:
Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

I'd like to add Toonstruck as well. Typical adventure with awesome cartoon animation and real actor playing main character (Christopher Lloyd, mostly known as mad 'doc' from Back to the Future) making it sort of classic 'Who framed Roger Rabbit'-style (ironicly Lloyd here playing Judge Doom). :-)
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
Jontzzu
Abandonia nerd

If someone is intrested in downloading The Neverhood, here's the link and instructions:
http://www.download-full-games.com/pc/adve..._neverhood.html
But the download itself is not that simple. First you have to register to that page (it's free). After that you have to sponsor some other page to continue download (the sponsoring is free too). You can choose from different pages and all you have to do is to register on the page you wish to sponsor. Just follow CAREFULLY the instructions you find at those pages. When you have done everything, you can finally download The Neverhood. After the download, extract the file and run Setup. Setup program will automaticly extract some other files and when it has finished, it will ask you a question. Answer yes. If you encounter an error and the game doesn't work do this: delete the game and re-extract the file you got from the download-full-games.com. Then run the Setup again. If the game still doesn't work, repeat everything. At the third time I encountered the error again, but the game worked.