Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Really, but if you'll drag exe on DOSBox link, TC wins!

(Actually, it's exactly my frame of work with games from DOSCollection. I am dragging main exe/bat/com on DOSBox from TC, and if everything works - that's it. In remaining 10% I am mounting work directory with game subdir and cd from here to destination, and in minority cases game need to be mounted as floppy/have files replaced/ some other complexity
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
trevtherev

been able to set up quite a few games, following tracker's intro particularly like the short cut command on desktop setting a particular game up and getting it to run immediately ...dungeon master, eye of the beholder....but had trouble trying to set up elder scrolls...and reading the notes it does not appear so straight forward, but I'll keep working at it and prob get it to play. I would prob use norton commander if it was a free download ....yeah I know i'm tight bas****
trevtherev is offline                         Send a private message to trevtherev
Old 01-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevtherev View Post
been able to set up quite a few games, following tracker's intro particularly like the short cut command on desktop setting a particular game up and getting it to run immediately ...dungeon master, eye of the beholder....but had trouble trying to set up elder scrolls...and reading the notes it does not appear so straight forward, but I'll keep working at it and prob get it to play.
For games that need a more specific DOSBox configuration, try this: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=28964
Quote:
I would prob use norton commander if it was a free download ....yeah I know i'm tight bas****
http://www.abandonia.com/en/programs - scroll down.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Volkov Commander, DOS Navigator and Star Commander are all nice alternatives to Norton Commander.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

For me, first two are quite poor substitutes. It could be useful in DOS times, as first is somewhat "lighter", and second gives more options, but now? NC is quite enough for running old games.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I haven't used Norton Commander in ages, what features exactly are the above lacking?

Besides, DOS Navigator and Star Commander are freeware, and Vokov Commander shareware, whereas I don't recall Norton Commander having been released as freeware..?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, as man who used NC in ages, I can say that main problem with both DN and VC is different key mapping and menu schematics.

Yes, VC is much lighter (mostly because it strips of most "advanced" features of NC, like DBF/BMP/anything viewers, extensive search and such) - but it's not a problem now.

DN is really better than NC (and I said exactly that in previous post - sorry if I messed it). But it's main problem is that it's not NC. If you are not accustomed to NC, well, it can do. Otherwise it will be whole lot of mess, and why? To run several old games?

Yes, I am aware that mentioned programs are free/shareware. But NC is here, on Abandonia. I suppose, it means that it can be used freely anyway.

Again, if it's still not clear: I think that at least VC and DN are good programs, as is. (I didn't see Star Commander). But if you are worked with NC, this programs are mess, because they are too similar to NC in appearance - and simultaneously are totally different in many mappings, that made a lot of unnecessary confusion. In that, and only that sense they are "poor substitutes".

(Also, exactly this issue was the reason why I switched from NC to Windows Commander absolutely flawless, but wasn't able to accustom to Far at all.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

DosBox runs in window, right? so you can use windows' inherit File Manager to filter your files even.

But as we're up to DOS-commands: I usually know what command-files to run, but sometimes they have too long names. So in DosBox I use:

dir /p

This lists the files and subdirectories in alphabetic order segmented by screens.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
DN is really better than NC (and I said exactly that in previous post - sorry if I messed it). But it's main problem is that it's not NC. If you are not accustomed to NC, well, it can do. Otherwise it will be whole lot of mess, and why? To run several old games?

Again, if it's still not clear: I think that at least VC and DN are good programs, as is. (I didn't see Star Commander). But if you are worked with NC, this programs are mess, because they are too similar to NC in appearance - and simultaneously are totally different in many mappings, that made a lot of unnecessary confusion. In that, and only that sense they are "poor substitutes".

(Also, exactly this issue was the reason why I switched from NC to Windows Commander absolutely flawless, but wasn't able to accustom to Far at all.
Heh, apparently I'm not that hardcore orthodox file manager user after all, since I like Far exactly for its NC-like looks I use VC alpha 4.99 in DOSBox, and only for simple functions like move files from one directory to another, and also the internal viewer.

To run games, typing dir *.exe, dir *.bat and dir *.com from the command prompt is usually quite sufficient. I also prefer dir /w to quickly view contents of a large directory (usually to check directory names).

BTW, there's also the internal browser in the DOS RAR versions with shell (v2.50 and below).
Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, we taken each other point of view, so I can only repeat what I said already: for me it's much simpler to use my trusty Total Commander for browsing in Windows - and work with command prompt inside of DOSBox. But who knows when NC/clones can be useful? So thank you again for discussion.