Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #61
Eagg
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nitro @ Feb 21 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]280318[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
These are some very nice examples. I didn't try them all, but the ones I tried all worked good.

I have only one piece of advice. If you write code with the purpose of sharing it, it is a good practice to add a lot of comment to the code, so others can read it easily. Especially when it is about complicated algorithms like the AI in some of the games.

I also wrote a version of battleship in VB and it is nice to see that you use the same algorithm.
[/b]
Tbh. I don't think comments would help making the code more readable, this code wasn't written to be easily understandable but to be compact and as confusing as possible :bleh: .
Basically anything considered bad practice at "good programming".

This is no rant on your stuff Guesst, I enjoy your pieces.
Code hacks are a bit like art... nobody claims that art needs to be userfriendly.
Eagg is offline                         Send a private message to Eagg
Old 07-04-2007, 04:14 AM   #62
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagg @ Feb 23 2007, 03:40 AM) [snapback]280573[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nitro @ Feb 21 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]280318[/snapback]
Quote:
These are some very nice examples. I didn't try them all, but the ones I tried all worked good.

I have only one piece of advice. If you write code with the purpose of sharing it, it is a good practice to add a lot of comment to the code, so others can read it easily. Especially when it is about complicated algorithms like the AI in some of the games.

I also wrote a version of battleship in VB and it is nice to see that you use the same algorithm.
[/b]
Tbh. I don't think comments would help making the code more readable, this code wasn't written to be easily understandable but to be compact and as confusing as possible :bleh: .
Basically anything considered bad practice at "good programming".

This is no rant on your stuff Guesst, I enjoy your pieces.
Code hacks are a bit like art... nobody claims that art needs to be userfriendly.
[/b][/quote]

I'm a bit slow. I was busy in February. I'm still busy, but avoiding doing something else I really should be doing.

Anyways, I took no offence on your comments Eagg, but Nitro has a point. My code isn't very well comented and it was designed to be shared. However, the reason for that was not well commented is that I had intended to release these to be typed in by the reader. I took my inspiration from old books of BASIC games that did the same thing (referenced several times in previous threads). As such I didn't want some would be programmer to get frustrated when he learned that 50% of what he typed was unnecessary when he finally learned what a comment was.

Ah, who am I kidding. I was never good at commenting anyways.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 18-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #63
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Default Cymon's Games has a new home on the web

It's unbelievable, but since this thread these programs have actually evolved into a full blown website. If you liked these programs please consider helping me promote my website.

You can see a teaser at: http://cymonsgames.retroremakes.com/

and a few clicks later you can see what it'll actually look like, or you can skip to it by going to http://cymonsgames.retroremakes.com/#main

Thanks all for your support!
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst