Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #31
Frankie
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Thug View Post
Huh !Your english is poor "the lame shark is hunting for the prey"??
My English is just fine, thanks for the concern. The sheer fact though that you got into this topic hints me what a capital troll you are.
Old 15-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #32
Skyfly
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnquist View Post
Wow. I just read the review and none of the comments but I can say this was refreshing. It was good to hear a negative review on this game. I will say it didn;t change my opinion as this is one of my favorite games that I never beat. I think you are right that this game loses the feel of old classic RPG games with bare-bones for the story, however it feels a little more like a classic table-top RPG with a really good DM who can make up are really good and immersive story. Granted he isn't that good of an DM because he isn't very good at balancing combat. It was a joy to play and I sometimes go back and play it a different way just to see if I can find new things. I usually do. I think it is telling though that I never can finish the game and the reason is the combat just isn't very good. On that same not I can't finish other RPGs because the story and characters aren't any good. I guess it needs to find that happy middle ground. In my opinion many more games fall short in making a good story than in making combat fun. Overall it was good to read an extremely critical review on a game I usually praise highly.

The reviewer really picked all the meat off the bones there.

"If you think Oblivion is a poor example of an RPG, add Planescape onto the list it might as well have been a piking text adventure for all the RPG gameplay it is."

The main feeling I take from the review is that the reviewer thinks the game shouldn't be categorized as an RPG and he detests that aspect, IOW, the gall that this game is considered an RPG is the main complaint. It's more of a critique of what is an RPG opposed to what isn't... I get that point, but I felt the game Planescape was well worth the time, it delivered a compelling story.

The biggest obstacle, for P Torment, and say a Morrowind, is the amount one invests in immersion. You have to get comfortable with the setting and atmosphere and that takes some effort, relatively speaking, you're not a hero looking for gold in a dungeon a la Diablo. One might get turned off by the quirky setting, the planes and the inhabitants, they are unconventional. I liked that, though...
Skyfly is offline                         Send a private message to Skyfly
Old 15-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the reviewer isn't comming back cause some unfunny people set all his posts to be approved by admin first, which would chase anybody away of course
Old 16-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #34
cnquist
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfly View Post
The biggest obstacle, for P Torment, and say a Morrowind, is the amount one invests in immersion. You have to get comfortable with the setting and atmosphere and that takes some effort, relatively speaking, you're not a hero looking for gold in a dungeon a la Diablo. One might get turned off by the quirky setting, the planes and the inhabitants, they are unconventional. I liked that, though...
That's true I tried Morrowind but I just didn't have the time to invest myself to really get into it. Combat in that game seemed really hard to use. Seems like a shame because if I could get into it I bet I would have been in for a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
the reviewer isn't comming back cause some unfunny people set all his posts to be approved by admin first, which would chase anybody away of course
That stinks. Maybe he deserved it but from reading this review I don't think he did.
cnquist is offline                         Send a private message to cnquist
Old 16-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #35
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

One review doesn't tell you everything about a person...

I've seen BloodPigggy here and there. He's a wanna-be elitist. Would most likely call one a f@g for liking modern RPGs. Such can get on ones nerves easily.
Old 16-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #36
ianfreddie07
wat

Well, at least Pigggy gives a very detailed review, regardless of it being positive or negative.
Old 16-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
Simoneer
Priest of The Order

...Not that it had anything to do with my point, but indeed.
Old 18-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #38
virumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoneer View Post
I've seen BloodPigggy here and there. He's a wanna-be elitist. Would most likely call one a f@g for liking modern RPGs. Such can get on ones nerves easily.
Funnily enough, the majority of RPG elitists (like at RPG Codex) consider PS:T the best thing since the invention of the wheel & Chris Avellone as the new Messiah. Posting this review on the Codex would probably lead to some hilarious flamewars.

That said, to me it seems PS:T is one extreme in RPG: all story, barely any gameplay while Oblivion (& other Bethesda games) are all gameplay & barely any story.

BioWare's games seem to fall a bit in between.
virumor is offline                         Send a private message to virumor
Old 18-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #39
ianfreddie07
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by virumor
Oblivion (& other Bethesda games) are all gameplay & barely any story.
Yes, there was gameplay. But Bethesda decided to make it simplistic (and stupid) to appeal to the mainstream crowd. That's why I relied on mods to improve my gameplay experience with Oblivion.
Old 22-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #40
punch999
The true Shadow President

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry axe View Post
i thought this said runescape..... YOU TRICKED ME but seriously, if this game is linear like you say it must be extremely GAY
You're a moron.
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999