Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Apr 20 2006, 07:53 AM
I might have a manual somewhere or maybe I'm getting mixed up with Mail Order Monsters. The DOS version looks pretty sad, but I'd say the C64 version is a definite 5. I can't think of any problems with it that would warrant a 4. It's one of those timeless games right up there with MULE.
IMHO, if it's a better looking version getting reviewd (C=64, Atari 800 etc) it'll get's a 4 because of a steep learning curve. The game is somewhat hard to get into for an absolutely uneperienced newbe and I didn't want to make any false impressions by giving it a 5.

I'm glad to see so many people fondly remembering this game. For everyone else just wait a bit and we've got something for you...
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 22-04-2006, 01:57 AM   #12

I think it's pretty simple. Learning certain strategies with wizard spells and which unit to use in which situation is the only hard part, but anyone can go in and play it and have fun. At its simplest, it's a game where you eliminate the enemy. Anything else just adds to the depth. You can play the game without knowing the spells or what the colors mean and what the orbs are. Personally, I think the game can be learned after a couple tries and taught in a few minutes.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #13

my number one game on C64 in the past good old days

Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Mousazz
Game freak

Cool

perrrrfect :bleh: . like it, better then archon ultra (never played that one :w00t: ) and star control (though they're the same, the reason is i'm BORED of stAR CONtrol). gonna play them now (duh!). well anyway, can't wait, bye!
Mousazz is offline                         Send a private message to Mousazz
Old 31-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #15
moogle
Abandonia Homie

I have the game (for DOS) and the manual, I'l try and scan it and PM it so somebody...
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 06-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
The Evil Creampuff

Ahh, the pinkness, it burns!

Man I'm brimming over with nostalgia, I thrashed this on my C64 along with 2 and 3.
The Evil Creampuff is offline                         Send a private message to The Evil Creampuff
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
Geckotide

Wow- talk about bright pastel colours *_*
Geckotide is offline                         Send a private message to Geckotide
Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
Reppy

Default Remake

I've just posted this over on the Ultra thread, but this is probably the more logical place.

There's a free Windows remake of Archon, and it can be found at http://archon.curvenet.co.uk

I much prefer the original game to Archon Ultra. I liked the added attack mode, but I felt the battles were too sluggish in Ultra. The remake is very accurate, and matches the game speed exactly (I'm so geeky that I ran them side by side).
Reppy is offline                         Send a private message to Reppy
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #19
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I also preferred the original to Archon Ultra. That original title was one of three great EA games I acquired at one time, the others being Murder on the Zinderneuf and MULE. The company was still small, dealing fairly with new developers, and making a name for itself. What a shame Topsy grew into a monster!
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 09-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppy View Post
I've just posted this over on the Ultra thread, but this is probably the more logical place.

There's a free Windows remake of Archon, and it can be found at http://archon.curvenet.co.uk

I much prefer the original game to Archon Ultra. I liked the added attack mode, but I felt the battles were too sluggish in Ultra. The remake is very accurate, and matches the game speed exactly (I'm so geeky that I ran them side by side).
I just downloaded the remake but the one player option is not available, actually the only feature available is 2 players.
Or Am i doing something wrong?
Anyway the graphics are very nice as well as the gameplay. i will have to find a second player!:notrust:
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca