Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #2551

Is there any way to run this game on a modern CPU? I have the windows version and the dos version and it wont run is dosbox. I cant seem to figure out how to install in for dos or something. I can load up the windows version but its so fast you cant play....you move the mouse and you flying around the screen....I cant slow down the processes like in Dosbox...

Old 24-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #2552
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 24 2006, 07:58 AM) [snapback]257046[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is there any way to run this game on a modern CPU? ...I cant slow down the processes like in Dosbox...
[/b]
Download Turbo or any other slowdown utility (http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Utilities/...nUtilities.html). This allows you to slow down your CPU down to 1%, should be enough.
Otherwise, run the Dos version through Dosbox. If you have trouble working with Dosbox, there's a manual for it here on Abandonia. Besides that, you can always use D-Fend (http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm) as an add-on to Dosbox. D-Fend allows you to tweak the settings of Dosbox with a few mouse clicks.
Old 24-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #2553

Ok thanks, I couldnt figure out if there was a special way to run the dos version or not. I can get in there and do like the sound configuration and such but I cant find the .exe to start the game. S oi figured there was an install procedure for the dos version.

Old 24-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #2554

Man the link to turbo is no good anymore...is there another place to get it? I tried CPU killer but it was only a trial...It worked but everything was jumpy...almost like it was stopping and starting instead of just slowing down. Thats the best way I could describe it.

Old 25-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #2555
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Just google for "turbo + slowdown", that should bring up a few working links...
Old 25-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #2556

Anyone know if there is a any way to make the game play like x-com TFTD?

I don't play X-com anymore simply because of the opening doors thing. If UFO EU had the ability to open a closed door without charging in, I would play it.

Just wondering if anyone may have made a hack for UFO or made a mod for TFTD.

I like the UFO game better than TFTD except for the doors

Old 26-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #2557
laiocfar
NOD Commander

You can blow it up.
No really, when fighting in farms whit laser weapons why to flank a building when you can make your way by them?
Old 26-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #2558
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Exactly, especially when the terrain is a farm I always stripped entire buildings using laser weapons. Besides, there are typical spots where the aliens tend to lurk (1st floor just at the end of the stairs, ......)

Even at terror sites I tended to strip buildings especially when I was up against Chrysalids. Of course I was slightly more careful because of the civilians around...

As for UFO doors, just advance towards the door in enough stages so that one opens the door and walks in (preferably a disposable unit) then others enter the UFO and have time units left to shoot and for reaction fire.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #2559
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Use a high reaction trooper to open the doors. Only use men who are 50 or better. High TUs are also nice. Walk your guy up beside the door, end turn, enter. If more than one alien is facing you, walk back out. If only one, fire and kill it. Then bring in the rest of the entry squad. Repeat this at every door you come to, using the lower reaction units to cover the rear.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 28-09-2006, 03:25 AM   #2560
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Is better to place two high reaction trooper at each flank of the door and send a rookie nearly unarmed but with an activated high explosive.

I dont like to complety clear an area as preventive meassure but for save an exposed veteran is good enough to make holes trough the buildings. Anyway i dont like the artillery play, but at night battles or when beeing outgunned and outclassed it can be the solution.