Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-09-2006, 01:28 AM   #2541

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 18 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]255904[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I tried both with dosbox and win xp version, but no real success. In dos I got messed up graphics. In xp the game ok but too fast. I tried cpu killing, too, but no help. Also in XP the view is flattened: maybe my screen is too wide or something.
[/b]

Generally speaking, if you have a modern pc with windows XP and a fast CPU, you should use the collectors edition which is availible for download from The Home Of The Underdogs. This is CPU limited so whatever speed your pc the game is playable, just turn down the movement/fire speeds in the options in-game. If you are getting messed up graphics with the collectors edition, there is a special .exe that is for windows 2000/xp only which should fix this. Don't try to run the collectors edition in DOS or with DOSbox. To get a smooth game in dos or windows 95 with the original, you need a pentium 75mhz or less. Not sure about DOSbox, but I would say keep increasing CPU cycles till you get a smooth game. Im guessing you would need a very fast PC to get UFO to run smooth in DOSbox as it's a DOS4GW game (probably about 3GHz+).

Old 19-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #2542
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 19 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]255958[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Not sure about DOSbox, but I would say keep increasing CPU cycles till you get a smooth game. Im guessing you would need a very fast PC to get UFO to run smooth in DOSbox as it's a DOS4GW game (probably about 3GHz+).
[/b]
On the contrary, I've run UFO through Dosbox and the key was just in decreasing the cycles to maybe 5000 on a 2 GHz laptop, otherwise it ran too fast
Old 20-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #2543

Thanks for the tips, I tried The Underdogs version, but the Geoscape and all are too fast. The time goes really fast, the planet spins wildly when I turn it, and the battlescape is fast. I cannot properly move around in battlescape because when I move my mouse to the border of the screen, the zoom/locating goes around the battlefield too fast (almost instantly). And then there is the wide-screen problem.

Old 20-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #2544
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Did you run it through Dosbox or did you use any slowdown utilities like Turbo?
Old 20-09-2006, 10:27 PM   #2545

Yes, thanks, Turbo is a good slow down tool. Now I played a bit with superhuman. Died 2 times in first missions. This is third first mission and now rockets, grenades and autocannos are doing havoc. Looks like I win this round. But there is still an alien or two lurking somewhere in the darkness...

Old 23-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #2546
comegalletas

I have a very silly question.... Does it end ??? I mean does it actually have an ending and credits and all that ??

I like the game a lot, but I have been playing it for almost 2 days, and it starts to get repetitive.

Also another question ( im a newbie ) The sound is already included in the game as it is... or do I have to dowload it and copy the tracks on the sound Folder... ???

Thx a lot
comegalletas is offline                         Send a private message to comegalletas
Old 23-09-2006, 12:47 AM   #2547
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(comegalletas @ Sep 22 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]256780[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I have a very silly question.... Does it end ??? I mean does it actually have an ending and credits and all that ??

I like the game a lot, but I have been playing it for almost 2 days, and it starts to get repetitive.

Also another question ( im a newbie ) The sound is already included in the game as it is... or do I have to dowload it and copy the tracks on the sound Folder... ???

Thx a lot
[/b]
Yes, it has an ending. You have to build up the research tree to the point where you can attack the source of the alien invasion.

The sounds should be in the game.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 23-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #2548
comegalletas

Thx for replying, I noticed that the mp3s that are in the site are different from the sounds in the game... They are cooler... Can I add these sounds by any chance to actual game play ????
All that I hear ingame is midis...
Thx in advance once more
comegalletas is offline                         Send a private message to comegalletas
Old 23-09-2006, 03:06 AM   #2549
laiocfar
NOD Commander

You can change the game´s music, it is pretty easy. Just rename the desired midi as any of the ones at sound folder. Copy it. Done.
Example, I hate the music of tactic combat so erased Gmtactic, copied Gmlose that i like most, renamed the copy file as Gmtactic and i can hear Gmlose when i am in tactical combat.
Old 23-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #2550
comegalletas

Im gonna try now.. lets see if it works with mp3s thou....