Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #2531
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

In my dos version, you have to run a setup program first, stating the install directory. Then run a sound setup the same way. After that, switch to the install directory and run xcom.bat.

That's how 1.2 on CD works anyways
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 04-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #2532
The Stine

Well I've given up on trying to get the dos version to work. So now I have the windows version. Its Xcom Gold edition I think. Anyway I cant seem to get this to work well either. The game loads and the sound works, and I believe the controlls do too. The graphics are all scrambled when I play. I dont know what to do.

Does this game not work on XP? Or is there some trick to doing so that anyone would care to share?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #2533
Elwood

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Stine @ Sep 4 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]252774[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well I've given up on trying to get the dos version to work. So now I have the windows version. Its Xcom Gold edition I think. Anyway I cant seem to get this to work well either. The game loads and the sound works, and I believe the controlls do too. The graphics are all scrambled when I play. I dont know what to do.

Does this game not work on XP? Or is there some trick to doing so that anyone would care to share?
[/b]
Try running the executable in compatability mode. Right-click the game executable and head for the properties - go to the compatability tab, click the box for run this game in compatability mode for... and select win 95, if it isn't already selected. Then click run in 256 colours and click OK. Try running it then.

I haven't tried this, since I don't have the game (having owned it on both amiga and PC back in the day, tis very annoying not to be able to relive the glory days.), but it works for a lot of games around that age.

If that doesn't work, try running the executable through DOSBox - it may be a windows game but I suspect it relies on having DOS access.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #2534
melthas
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwood @ Sep 5 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]252858[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Try running the executable in compatability mode. Right-click the game executable and head for the properties - go to the compatability tab, click the box for run this game in compatability mode for... and select win 95, if it isn't already selected. Then click run in 256 colours and click OK. Try running it then.

I haven't tried this, since I don't have the game (having owned it on both amiga and PC back in the day, tis very annoying not to be able to relive the glory days.), but it works for a lot of games around that age.

If that doesn't work, try running the executable through DOSBox - it may be a windows game but I suspect it relies on having DOS access.
[/b]
I was well able to play it with my XP laptop so no compatibility mode should be necessary in fact. Anyway it could be useful to try the first advice but the latter won't work. Game exe file is a windows one. It tells that it can only be run under windows when you try to run it in dos or dosbox (I tried it before).
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #2535
Horoma
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Stine @ Sep 4 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]252774[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

[/b]
Scrambled graphics are a known bug with the collector's edition of both UFO and TFTD. There is a patch to correct this, just click here. I personally use Xcomutil, which is a nice way to make the game more challenging again. It also features a loader to correct the graphics bug. k:
Horoma is offline                         Send a private message to Horoma
Old 06-09-2006, 05:40 AM   #2536
The Stine

Ok guys thanks to your help Ive got past the scrambled graphics problem. And another problem since where my game wouldnt save. Turns out I had to go into the Xcom folder and create folders for the save games called Game_1 and so on.

But as luck would have it, or maybe its some other higher being out there who just doesnt want me to play Xcom ever again, Ive run into yep you guessed it problem number 3.

The game crashes every time I start a mission. Ive tried several times and with the same results. Ive tried new saves which hasnt worked. Ive also tried running the program under win 95 compatibility, and turning down my hardware accelerator. I also read about looking for I forget the exact name, but some diag.exe file on my comp and turning that off, but apparently I dont have that file. And I also heard about deleting a miss.bat file in Xcom, but I cant find that either. Maybe that was just a Dos version thing.

Anyway Im out of ideas. And I am sorry for being a pest here, I just love Xcom and really want to play it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #2537
The Stine

Oh and I did try running the CE version in dosbox. It says this cannot be run in Dos.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #2538
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

This game is once again abandoned
Old 15-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #2539
Jedandjess

For anyone interested - here is a link to my savegames from XCOM 1 in a game I played about a year or so ago. It was the first time I'd played it to the end in a few years but I did everything by the book so well that the aliens just didn't even get a look in. Take a look and see - the saves work in any of the XCOM versions (I played the game with the DOS 1.44" floppy version but have tested the saves on the collectors edition also).

The XCOM 2 saves are of an unfinished game that I never went back to as work was taking up too much of my time.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...2025117&hl=

Old 18-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #2540

I tried both with dosbox and win xp version, but no real success. In dos I got messed up graphics. In xp the game ok but too fast. I tried cpu killing, too, but no help. Also in XP the view is flattened: maybe my screen is too wide or something.