Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Onigami
Default Stonekeep Run Issue.

Hello. I tried to ask on another forum, following someone and his guide but all he did was unhelpfully mock me for not "reading" his guide enough, so I'm asking here.

I set it up on my USB and used a virtual C: mount using a method he says, but now when I try the following commands:

mount d l:\ -t cdrom

It says: MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: Limited Support.
Drive D is mounted at CDROM L:\

cd stonkeep

sk

I get this response: Illegal command: D:\data\SK.EXE

Am I doing something wrong? I'm running it completely from my USB using an .iso file, upon initial installation it runs perfect, no lag, sound works fine but after I close it, I get this error. Can anyone help me?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

So you're running Stonekeep from a CD ISO, located on a USB (stick?). How do you mount this ISO and with what program? Demon Tools? DosBox?
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Onigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
So you're running Stonekeep from a CD ISO, located on a USB (stick?). How do you mount this ISO and with what program? Demon Tools? DosBox?
Erm, I'm not sure how to mount it after I install, which I think is where my confusion is stemming from. I have mounted it on DAEMON tools and got no real different result. The command from his guide is as follows:

mount d x:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd stonkeep
sk

The "X" is for whichever drive you mount it to. I mount it to D as a default. The .iso name is "stknp" and when I try imgmount d l:\stknp.iso or l:\stknp.iso -t cdrom/iso I get the same result, it cannot mount or it's an "illegal image" or "isn't a directory"

A few times it booted up normally after installing it, typing in the commands mentioned in my first post; however it would only take me to the "register" screen and then it would continue attempting to load, followed with the message "Illegal command: SK.EXE" thing.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13440 - that is the link to his "USB" guide on running DOS games from it.

http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about1...ight=stonekeep - this is the Stonekeep guide I used.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Are you using DosBox 0.74? Try it under DosBox 0.73, as 0.74 has issues with some games, that might be the case. Also did you try putting the ISO file on another drive, like your hard drive, and mount it there? If it works there, then there might be some problem with your USB drive.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Onigami

Hmm, is .73 universal? I'm going to be updating to Windows 7 when I get a new laptop.

Also: If I download 0.73, will I have to reinstall Stonekeep, or can I simply run it through the DOS as is?

The ISO file is on my portable HD and my thumb drive, I haven't tried mounting it from my HD itself, I'm not sure what the command might be to mount it from the HD without doing a series of windows, would there be a simple place to put it? Like the desktop?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Scatty
Treasure hunter

You might be making it a bit more complicated than necessary. DosBox 0.74 is the latest version as far as I know, but it has issues with few games, where 0.73 doesn't (mostly).
What command to use depends on what letter DemonTools will assign to your mounted ISO file, not where to find it. Say, you put the ISO in c:\games\ and Stonekeep is installed in c:\games\stonkeep. DemonTools assigns the mounted ISO the letter L, then (in DosBox):

mount d l:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\
c:
cd \games\stonkeep
sk.bat (the batch file looks for Stonekeep CD on drive d, so mount the ISO as drive D)

You also don't need to install Stonekeep anew, use the same folder you installed it to in the first place.

Last edited by Scatty; 03-08-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Onigami

I think the DOSBox download mirror is broken... every time I download the 0.73, it comes in .pkg form and I cannot open it with Winrar.

A friend is currently sharing the file she downloaded from Gog, which says it should run in XP/Vista/7 fine. So I'll give that a try, I'd still like to resolve this issue in case someone else comes across the same problem.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Onigami

I instead tried moving the iso, game folder and the DOSBox .74 to "games" in my C: and ended up getting the same result when entering the commands. It could be the DOSBox version itself. But as I said, 0.73 for some reason comes in a pkg file I cannot open.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That's because you didn't download the PC version of 0.73. You obviously didn't pay much attention to what was written on the DOSBox site download page since that's the Solaris version. Whatever that is.

Try here instead.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Onigami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
That's because you didn't download the PC version of 0.73. You obviously didn't pay much attention to what was written on the DOSBox site download page since that's the Solaris version. Whatever that is.

Try here instead.
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 that's the link on the guide I used, and that was the only .73 I found. The bottom link for "older files" took me to here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/files/

As for the 0.73, I tried it and entering the same commands, both with the iso mounted, on C: and the L: I got the same results, it still says "Illegal command: D:\data\SK.EXE"

Maybe it just doesn't like me.