Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Baldur's Gate had a better structured story. There was a clear goal, everything else was either to get you sidetracked, or it seemed like a simple side quest, but once you actually did them you'd find little tid bits of the story and such. Baldur's Gate 2 was, "We'll just throw things at you as we go, here's a few random events!"

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 21-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #12
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

BG1 has fewer features than BG2. For example, in BG2 you can press TAB to highlight treasure goodies on the ground (which might be hard to see); you can't do that in BG1. In BG2, the automapping facility also labels everything. In BG1, nothing is labelled, which becomes a real hassle once you get to the big city. (You can't make your own labels in BG1 for those maps, either.) Voiceover comments are repetitive and frequently stupid in BG1. There are far more of them per character in BG2, and a lot of additional written confrontations between party NPCs in BG2 where none are in BG1. You also can find/purchase a bag of plenty, and sorter/containers for potions, arrows, bolts, and scrolls in BG2, but none of that is in BG1. Quests are more interesting and more developed in BG2, and alignment has a much greater effect on travel and growth.

There's a lot more, but why bother.

The one good feature about BG1 was stated well by Eage of Fire. The first game feels more realistic, because weapons and spells are less over-the-top. In BG2, especially in its add-on, ToB, it feels like "my atom bomb can beat your atom bomb" at times. There's just too much super-power stuff being thrown around. But I can live with that limitation, given the greater features in BG2.

Incidentally, there's a mod out there called BG Tutu (don't ask me why) that lets you move not only your basic character but your possessions as well into BG2, making it pretty seamless. It also adds (or attempts to add) many of BG2's features to BG1. I recall hearing it was still pretty buggy, but I haven't tried it to find out. You can discover more about it here.

Incidentally, there are a huge range of BG2 mods on that site, some of them very good.

I would also recommend checking out GameBanshee's BG1 and BG2 forums, which remain very active.

Hope all or any of this helps.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 22-01-2005, 03:25 AM   #13
Kestral
Abandonia nerd

Dude i wish aerie was real, she would be my babe, YOU CAN'T HAVE HER, for i have a +8 sword with your name on it, EH don't give me that mage bull crap...LOL..............But anyways................THE ROMANCE, to bad they didn't make it romantic enough fer adults gehehe
Kestral is offline                         Send a private message to Kestral
Old 22-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #14
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

If you want a romance for adults, go out and get one. It's called reallife. No stupid piece of code created with a few words by a 300-pound bearded programmer named Lou can begin to come close.
Old 22-01-2005, 03:58 AM   #15
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestral@Jan 22 2005, 04:25 AM
Dude i wish aerie was real, she would be my babe, YOU CAN'T HAVE HER, for i have a +8 sword with your name on it, EH don't give me that mage bull crap...LOL..............But anyways................THE ROMANCE, to bad they didn't make it romantic enough fer adults gehehe
There is nothing that can be done to remove that from my mind. You've scarred me for life. Again. Great.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 22-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #16
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterGrazzt@Jan 22 2005, 04:58 AM
There is nothing that can be done to remove that from my mind. You've scarred me for life. Again. Great.
You mean he's done that before? :blink:
Old 22-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Jan 22 2005, 04:44 AM
If you want a romance for adults, go out and get one. It's called reallife. No stupid piece of code created with a few words by a 300-pound bearded programmer named Lou can begin to come close.
I'm not sure, I think you'll be flamed on the KOTOR forums by the women if you claim the romance with Carth was weak and badly done.
For some reason the women adore that piece of coding and will go to great lengths to defend it :blink:

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm still not quite sure what to do since there isn't really a consensus about it. I guess I'll just play the original. I still fear I won't make it, I've never been good at these RPG games (isometric) I remember that most of the time in Planescape I was just running and (somehow) it worked! Well it worked until my unexperienced character had to face much more experienced creatures... but I was stupid back then.

Anyway I'm babbling, thanks for the help!
Old 22-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #18
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If Ariel was real and I knew here, I would tear my own ears off, put them in a grinder, then throw the remains in her face. That woman has the most poor use of tact I have ever seen in a game.

I mean seriously, I was in a battle with a demi-lich, three of my characters were dead, and two were level drained while one, Jahiera (Can't remember how to spell her name) health was all the way down to a stupendous 2. It was at this moment, as I stood with my beaten and bloodied party that Ariel had to comment on how nice Jahiera's hair looked.

The instant I turned chaotic Neutral she also seemed to go into a whiney rampage, and not only that, she had the most annoying sound bytes ever. "Oh... I'm not so sure about this..."

This is my most disliked character ever in the history of anything, the only thing that comes close is the atrocious Jar Jar Binks.

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 22-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Dude i wish aerie was real, she would be my babe, YOU CAN'T HAVE HER, for i have a +8 sword with your name on it, EH don't give me that mage bull crap.................But anyways................THE ROMANCE, to bad they didn't make it romantic enough fer adults gehehe
Happened to me too once, it was an arcade cat-like female fighter which I fell in love with on first sight.

I never told this to anyone and purposefully avoided the particular arcade for the rest of the time I was there. Since I don't frequent arcade houses it wasn't much of a trouble, but I could say that I was acting strange the next week or two...

It's a sad thing actually when you consider I never experimented love on first sight IRL.

Best advice: forget it and move to something else. Don't play that game again.
Old 22-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #20
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The only romance I've ever had in the game was with Jahiera. The bad thing was that she was a insanely sensitive character. You could say something that would insult her for some unknown idiotic reason.

My Site -