Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
phosphor_glow

Hi all, great site you are running here. Pardon any of my n00b paux pas but I'm getting to know the place :blink:

I spent 100's of £ in the late '80s and early '90 on DOS games. If I upload my 'back catalogue', how do I know about the legality of what I am uploading? Also, how is the legality of downloadable games determined.

TIA :thanx:

phosphor_glow is offline                         Send a private message to phosphor_glow
Old 20-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Well, on the main site you can find the Oldwarez list, in it you can see the status of very many (but not all) old games. If the game is abandoned by it's former company, i.e. they neither support it nor claim any copyright to it anymore, then you can download this game and / or offer it for an upload here on Abandonia, means it is legal.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
phosphor_glow

That's a great start. Thanks Scatty. k:
phosphor_glow is offline                         Send a private message to phosphor_glow
Old 21-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
bobson
Game is over

Actually you can upload it anywhere, but do not try to do it

Thiz place is DA BESTTT
Old 21-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
If the game is abandoned by it's former company, i.e. they neither support it nor claim any copyright to it anymore, then you can download this game and / or offer it for an upload here on Abandonia, means it is legal.[/b]
Close, but no donut!
1. Not "former company" but "copyright owner". Regardless of what you think, that is not the same thing.
2. Not "nor claim any copyright to it" but "do not actively protect their copyrights to it". Again, two different things.
3. Not legal. Never legal. Quote from the site FAQ:
Quote:
Since the software is no longer sold or supported, the copyright holders are not directly harmed in any way. This is why abandonware sites are, for the most part, ignored by the law. The distribution of copyrighted software however is, and will allways be, illegal![/b]
Thus: not likely to get you in trouble, but not quite legal. Not warez either (there is a number of distinct differences between warez and abandonware).

Quote:
If I upload my 'back catalogue', how do I know about the legality of what I am uploading? Also, how is the legality of downloadable games determined.[/b]
The way we determine it according to Abandonia's definition of Abandonware (along with the definition itself) is described in this thread. Furthermore, the same thread contains several pointers on the subject of determining the status of games not yet present on our Oldwarez List.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman