Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #1
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh
Thumbs down

"425 Cannot open data connection (10060)"

This is my problem. The FTP service on my computer just seized working some time ago. It won't list the remote directory contents. It DOES log in, send-recieve commands but it simply wont do the directory listing. There may be some problems with setting up the data connection.
Here, this is a log from today:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
[R] Connecting to *some server* -> DNS=*some server* PORT=21
[R] Connected to *some server*
[R] 220 BulletProof FTP Server ready ...
[R] USER *user*
[R] 331 Password required for *user*.
[R] PASS (hidden)
[R] 230 User *user* logged in.
[R] SYST
[R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
[R] FEAT
[R] 211-Extensions supported:
[R] CLNT
[R] MDTM
[R] PASV
[R] REST STREAM
[R] SIZE
[R] 211 End.
[R] CLNT FlashFXP 3.2.0.1080
[R] 200 "FlashFXP 3.2.0.1080" noted.
[R] CWD /MP3/
[R] 250 CWD command successful. "/MP3" is current directory.
[R] PWD
[R] 257 "/MP3" is current directory.
[R] TYPE A
[R] 200 Type set to A.
[R] PORT 192,168,1,124,8,144
[R] 200 Port command successful.
[R] LIST -al
[R] 150 Opening data connection for directory list.
[R] 425 Cannot open data connection (10060).
[R] List Complete: 0 bytes in 23,33 seconds (0,0 KB/s)

and sometimes I get

[R] List error

This was a log from FlashFXP 3.2.0.1080. But the same happens in Windows's explorer, it wont list the directory giving me an error message saying there was an error when getting directory contents. SO the server IS THERE but I cannot get the contents of the directory for whatever reason.

Moreover, all the applications that need somekinda FTP connection seized working saying they can't download updates or whatever...

I tried everything I could. I turned off my firewall(NIS) and the windows one too(SP2). Even if turned off I opened port 20 and 21 in both firewalls. I opened the FTP ports in every single method I could. The university uses a proxy but it is set up correctly and nothing changed with that since last september, but the FTP is not working for 3 weeks now so the proxy is not the bad guy. I tired to sitch PASV mode on and off but no effect.

What I didn't tried: Registry tweaking, that's simply not my cup of tea. Reinstalling windows, wish I DON'T plan to do in the near future since everything else is working fine. And some more things that I don't know of, hence I'm here asking for help

If anybody knows something that can be of some help, please share...

thanks in advance...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 21-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

FTP uses more ports then 20 and 21. Some firewall software allows you to select what port will be used to tranfer data.

I never used that server, but I know that you have to make sure user (FTP) has access to that folder, and that windows user can access it too.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 21-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Feb 21 2006, 02:17 PM
FTP uses more fonts then 20 and 21. Some firewall software allows you to select what port will be used to tranfer data.

I never used that server, but I know that you have to make sure user (FTP) has access to that folder, and that windows user can access it too.
I believe the firewall is blocking the incoming connection. ( :bleh: for those who get the hidden joke)
Old 21-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Feb 21 2006, 05:17 AM
You don't know what server because I *checked* out the server name and the username because it's not important in this case. And yes, the current user has rights to do whatever he damn well want on that server because it's mine k:

I just told that everything was working fine until 3 weeks earlier...

well, I try to change the ports in FlashFXP, I doubt it will do any good but I try nonetheless...

EDIT: No, changing the ports did only one thing, it doesn't even connect that way...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 21-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the fact that server is yours doesnt mean you have the rights, server options are set for everyone, even your ip

i think users(you probably tried anonymous connection) have no rights for listing, check somewhere in settings some kind of directory acces right (there should be inherit, delete, make, list, SubDir acces) and file acces rights(read, delete, write, append)

what ftp server do you use though
Old 21-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Playbahnosh@Feb 21 2006, 02:15 AM

You don't know what server because I *checked* out the server name and the username because it's not important in this case.
By server, I meant "BulletProof FTP Server". That's what you have been using, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Playbahnosh+Feb 21 2006, 02:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Playbahnosh @ Feb 21 2006, 02:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>And yes, the current user has rights to do whatever he damn well want on that server because it's mine k: [/b]

Being your server does not mean anything.

Quote:

I just told that everything was working fine until 3 weeks earlier...
If everything worked fine, then something must have changed in the mean time. If the server was open to outside world, then you might have some virus/bug that uses FTP. Tried to reinstall it?

Quote:

well, I try to change the ports in FlashFXP, I doubt it will do any good but I try nonetheless...
You should not change ports in FlashFXP. Just as I said, on the server you have to change it.

<!--QuoteBegin-Playbahnosh
@Feb 21 2006, 02:15 AM

No, changing the ports did only one thing, it doesn't even connect that way...
[/quote]
Wonder why! LOL

What you are looking for is called something like: Passive port connection. You have to select a range of ports (for example 4400-4450) and you have to open that range in your firewall (both windows and if you have one on router).

That should fix it.
Old 21-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Okay, I said the server is mine, but I don't maintain it. It is a free Web provider space like Geocities, but it's hungarian. I registered there and I got a FTP adress with 80 MB space and I can up and download stuff I want, but I don't maintain the server....

And the problem is NOT ONLY with that one server, but with ALL FTP connections. That can't be that one day all the FTP servers are working and ALL the servers lock me out the second day....

I'm working on some solutions with the local sysop, but still waiting for some constructive ideas....

Old 21-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you can't connect to any FTP, then most definitely it is the problem on your end.

In this case:
• ISP can block your FTP traffic
• There was change on your settings (passive etc.)
• There was change on your firewall

There is a lot of stuff that might go wrong.

Try this:

Use command line to connect to FTP

And try to download or upload something from your server.

(Open command prompt if you are using XP and type ftp <server name>
Answer user id and pass
Then type:
ls – to list directory
cd – to change directory
get – to download
put – to upload

Make sure you type I before you upload/download to change to binary.

Check if that helps.