Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Default Can't Play Grand Prix Manager 2

windows XP/7, both x64.

Tried putting wing32.dll into system and system32.

In system, I get the message that it has been incorrectly installed into system, moving it to system32 might correct the error. So I move it, and get the message that it can't find wing32.dll (which is now in system32, where it told me to put it). This is both in XP and 7.

I'm trying to start with GPM2, should I look for another exe file/ I haven't seen one thus far, but if there is supposed to be, ill try almost anything

Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Use XP. Windows 7 most likely won't run this at all.
Get and install the WinG runtime libraries from the bottom of this page. This should sort the problem out in a pinch.

Else, you could try running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox and starting the game from there. I've put together a pre-made Windows 3 package here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Elvish Magi

I got this running under Windows 7, though I'm not sure if this method is for 64bit versions only or not.

Anyway...

Place a copy of wing32.dll in windows/sysWOW64 folder
Set compatibility options to "Windows 95", "256 Colours" and "640 * 480 resolution"

It runs fine on my system, but on a friends it crashes when you try to run a race so I presume there are issues with some hardware configurations.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It was meant for a 16-bit Windows system. You're impossibly lucky it started up in the first place.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The only way you can have 16 bit programs working in 64 bits Vista or Windows 7 is by having special compatibility options installed. There is no other way.

The fact that he copy a .dll might very well be one of those compatibility options. I however doubt that it is so easy and there must be a lot more needed which is still not installed to run 16 bit programs.

From what I heard, those options are on the install disk(s). If you however only got a license then you of course don't have that option.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.

.... and the safiest way is to try them in XPmode (not really game friendly) or better VPC2007/W98SE/W9x- dosbox/W3.x

I'm still amazed that some peeps absolutely want to install old and completely obsolete DLLs in their OS system folders.
Certainly when those who lived the W9x times know that the games/added sysfiles were troublesome, even on real W9x hardware.
And I even don't wanna point to hardware incompatibilities.

TSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss .......

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 28-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
alvorsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvish Magi View Post
Place a copy of wing32.dll in windows/sysWOW64 folder
I'm necroposting this just to tell that it works for me as well.
In case anyone else searches on google and find this post (like I did)

Sam
alvorsam is offline                         Send a private message to alvorsam
Old 21-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
.... and the safiest way is to try them in XPmode (not really game friendly) or better VPC2007/W98SE/W9x- dosbox/W3.x

I'm still amazed that some peeps absolutely want to install old and completely obsolete DLLs in their OS system folders.
Certainly when those who lived the W9x times know that the games/added sysfiles were troublesome, even on real W9x hardware.
And I even don't wanna point to hardware incompatibilities.

TSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss .......

So are you saying that placing the DLL's both from the game download and WinGv1.0 into the OS system folders may potentially cause issues with a system?

I really want to try this game but I have Win7 64-bit

Old 21-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
So are you saying that placing the DLL's both from the game download and WinGv1.0 into the OS system folders may potentially cause issues with a system?
Should not unless you overwrite something.
Quote:
I really want to try this game but I have Win7 64-bit
DOSBox + Windows 3: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/sho...d.php?p=433350

-- Reed Richards
Old 21-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
I don't think there is any harm either as long as you copy a fresh file and that you don't overwrite one which is already there.

Re-reading the thread, my understanding of what is happening is that the game is forwarding the OS to a specific file which doesn't exist with the default installation. Providing the required file seem to work.

I don't see why someone should be afraid of adding new files in a driver folder as long as, like I just said, you don't mess with the files already there which are actually needed for the normal operation of the OS.