Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
rocking_jono

Having (gratefully) downloaded my childhood favourite Colonisation i found that i couldn't install the game. I have unzipped all the files and seem to have it all prepared yet when i click on install things go wrong.

I get the menu screen but i only have the option of opening the readme.txt or exiting, there is no install button (a fairly large problem)... if anyone could help with that, that would be excellent!
Old 26-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Have you tried running it in DOSBox?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 26-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
rocking_jono

but its loading up fine... just not giving me the option to install... would that make a difference?
Old 26-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You don't have to install the game. Should be allready installed.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 26-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
rocking_jono

what file?
Old 26-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Install DOSBox if you haven't done so already (Anubis has written an excellent tutorial). Unzip the game into your CDrive folder and run DOSBox. Type "cd colon" (or whatever directory name you chose) and then type "install". Select C:\COLONIZE as the directory you want to install the game to, select your sound settings etc and exit. To play the game you need to type "cd colonize" to change into the right directory and then type "colonize" again to start it.
Once you've installed the game, you can delete the "colon" folder again, obviously.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 26-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you want to simulate a disk installation in DOSBox I strongly suggest you to install it from the a:\ path. All computers back in the day had floppy configured to a:\ for installation so some hard coded games may require that you install from either a:\ or b:\ without exception.