Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
HSMomof4
Lurker

Default Need help with possible vista problem

I tried downloading a few games and when I try to unzip it the error reads;
the folder is empty, however it has some info to show a sized folder. I have downloaded DOSBox and still I am having trouble opening it. Can someone help please?

Now I have fixed the unzip problem but I guess I'm not savvy enough to get the DOSBox to run a game, I have followed all the instructions in the tutorial and I'm getting frustrated with it all.

Last edited by HSMomof4; 26-01-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: I have a different problem now but fixed the first problem.
HSMomof4 is offline                         Send a private message to HSMomof4
Old 26-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

1. Which tutorial (there are several)
2. At which point do you encounter problems exactly?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You need to mount the drive(s) first. The best way to go around this is to create a directory on your C: drive and use it as your root directory. DOS only use directory names up to 8 characters, so having short directories really help. I suggest you use c:\DOS.

So, mounting your c: drive is the first step. You should write something like "mount c:\ c:\dos". This will create a c: drive with the root directory showing as "C:\" on your DOSBox, but it truely will be your "c:\DOS" directory you'll have on your normal drive.

From there on you pretty much learned most of what you need to know. Simply unarchive the games in your "C:\DOS" directory (it doesn't matter if you do it in Vista before loading DOSBox, it's even recommended) with short directory names and you'll be ready to go.

You need to use the CD command (meaning Change Directory) to move directories. Once you get in the game directory you want to play, use the DIR command (probably mean something too, but I forgot) to show the files. Find the right file (you can spot them from Vista prior to using DOSBox too) and start it directly.

Should work easily that way.