Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #41
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Big news! Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send the Internet blacklist bill to the full Senate, but it was quickly stopped by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) who denounced it as "a bunker-buster cluster bomb" aimed at the Internet and pledged to "do everything I can to take the necessary steps to stop it from passing the U.S. Senate." Wyden's opposition practically guarantees the bill is dead this year -- and next year the new Congress will have to reintroduce the bill and start all over again. But even that might not happen: Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Hollywood's own senator, told the committee that even she was uncomfortable with the Internet censorship portion of the bill and hoped it could be removed when they took it up again next year!
This is incredible -- and all thanks to you. Just a month ago, the Senate was planning to pass this bill unanimously; now even the senator from Hollywood is backing away from it. But this fight is far from over -- next year, there's going to be hearings, negotiations, and even more crucial votes. We need to be there, continuing to fight.
Taken from a notification e-mail I received. Some more time-out for few months.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I am glad that there are people with some common sense still around. We shall have to wait and see what happens next with this one I am afraid.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
Japo
Autonomous human

Common sense is an oddly appropriate expression, if you understand "common" as in "common people". Because as soon as the senators aren't afraid to lose the next election, maybe only because it be far enough and public opinion forgets fast, then I bet that Dianne will have some purely cosmetic changes into the bill and says it's now OK.

Politicians as a caste want this through very very badly. They just need the expectable electoral damage to be controlled.

It's in these cases (as with the bailouts) that they like to say that anyone opposing a policy is being "partisan", and that parties must work together. Although I don't think they call pull this one in this case, it needs fear to be created to work--as with terrorism, economic crisis. Anyway, having more than one party and having them disagree is one (not the only one by far) of the necessary conditions for a democracy. If parties work together in everything, you have team dictatorship.
Old 20-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #44
xtgold

Angry oobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
FOX and co have even managed to convince people that health care is a bad thing by comparing it to communism! Well done, right wing rich douche bags.
It is communism.
Notice how it doesn't apply to muslims.
I will have to change religions to avoid the fine,since I don't have any health coverage.
We have to wear seatbelts when we drive a car,next they will want you to wear
a helmet and flameproof suit.
xtgold is offline                         Send a private message to xtgold
Old 20-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Whatever it is you're talking about, stop it. This thread is for the discussion of the US internet bill, not racism or insanity.
Old 20-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #46
angry axe
O for Awesome

Our government may follow, cause our prime minister is a Businessman (also wants to mine our native animal/plant reserves then pretends that the lane he will compensate with wasnt already being added by previous less dickish government), Suck up, most of his ministers are hypocrites (e.g The welfare minister use to be on Welfare, now she says if people cant feed their children it isn't her problem and proceed to force people to somehow find jobs in a time when there is a massive line just to work at a grocery store) also he is an American loving attention w---e - Seriously he is on the News for things that don't even relate to him like the time someones car got stolen, because that totally never happens and he seems to always mention "like obama" or "just like in America" he also instantly took up the offer to do the top ten on the Letterman Show but takes two weeks to reluctantly decide to go to the environment conference thing.
"war has changed. its no longer about nations ideologies or ethnicity, its an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life - has become a well oiled machine" - Solid Snake
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 20-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #47
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

AA I understand that you think that New Zealand will follow America..but I think you should be more worried that you will follow Australia. We have a censorship law in the works just like the US.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 27-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #48
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ll-2010-11.DTL
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/o...nsorship-bill/
http://www.techspot.com/news/41321-u...-domains-.html

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #49
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Thats nice, two reports of the bill being blocked...then one of sites being pulled down. But it seems most were selling illegal copies of the games. I guess they were also American hosted sites as well.
Old 28-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #50
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

http://torrentfreak.com/music-linkin...ty-ice-101125/
http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-governme...d-more-101126/

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman