Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #61
Prokonsul Piotrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecruz View Post
Excelentos. Cant wait to see that WT when its done.
Done, at least, with the walk through. I'll probably finish the strategy guide when I feel like playing BI again...

Google Docs link to the walkthrough
Prokonsul Piotrus is offline                         Send a private message to Prokonsul Piotrus
Old 15-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #62
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

great, thanks

do you want me to put it on the main site?
Old 31-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #63
Prokonsul Piotrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
great, thanks

do you want me to put it on the main site?
Sure, now that I have updated the unit overview, it is done Enjoy!
Prokonsul Piotrus is offline                         Send a private message to Prokonsul Piotrus
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #64
Wicky
the little viking

thanks, great guide

Last edited by Wicky; 13-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 23-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #65
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokonsul Piotrus View Post
Sure, now that I have updated the unit overview, it is done Enjoy!
sorry that it took so long, i just found it in my to-do list uploaded now (you are listed as a contributor, of course, so it will appear on your site profile too)
Old 18-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #66
age_like_wine
Lurker

Put this game aside for quite some time... may pick it up again though. Can't just leave it unfinished!
age_like_wine is offline                         Send a private message to age_like_wine
Old 16-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #67
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Sold on GOG

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 31-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #68
Wicky
the little viking

Default Elixir

The Elixir (cloaking unit) has no range and cloaks only the hexes next to it!
Every unit which is right adjactent to an Elixir can't be seen by the enemy. But it does not cloak units which are 2 hexes away, there seems to be a mis-understanding about how the Elixir works.

Not even an enemy buggy with 1 field between him and the cloaked units can see through the shroud. The only option to reveal a unit protected by the Elixir is to move right next to it (touch), but this gives them a surprise attack bonus.

normal combat
both units fire simultaneously. Then each side gets it's damage subtracted.
surprise attack
The cloaked or otherwise not visible unit, gets to attack first and fires all it's guns. Then the damage is substracted from the ambushed unit, and if it has any health left, now comes to fire with the remaining strength.

The surprise attack is quite powerful on Quasars (1-3 artillery) up to the UMX-1 launcher, because it will most definitely wipe out anything before they get to fire. Additionally, surprise attacking units can fire even when their minimum range (like 5 for the UMX) would not allow them otherwise.

1) For example: A Samurai-3 tank which moves right next to a cloaked UMX-1 launcher will get totally destroyed in the surprise attack, leaving it cloaked (since the tank didn't survive).
2) Another example: Two dragon helicopters and an Elixir set up an ambush, waiting for unsuspecting technotraxes. The first trax arrives, gets a surprise attack from both helicopters, and vanishes. Since the enemy didn't even see the helis, he sent another trax and another and voila! The 2nd helicopter was at maximum experience (double wings) in round 1 of the map
Old 07-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #69
citizen_lion
Default First post!

I finally found this forum and must post something to it despite having project deadline tomorrow

BI2 was my childhood game, and no one else's in my neighborhood when I was a kid . I can't believe I finally found other people who like it. I cannot find enough words to praise this game, and finding the Titan's Legacy expansion only confirmed my acclaim for it instead of revealing that my view of the original BI2 was colored by nostalgia. The game was as good as I remember it. In fact, now that I am an adult I like it even more. I believe that this is the most sophisticated strategy game ever made, when played on Expert or Hard (some stages, like the one right after Britigi, is more difficult on Hard).

I am now on the mission right after "the attack".

A few comment regarding my experience so far. I found Woringa to be the most difficult mission by far, and when I finally won I had this huge sense of relief. Britigi is difficult but only because I misunderstood the mission objective. I set out to fight both the red and green, and very nearly annihilated both sides (took about 10 tries though).

The attack was also an interesting mission for me. After staging a perfect defensive strategy that withstood 17 turns of attack without losing a single unit (other than a demon or two, I think), I got over confident and provoked by the vitriol on TV (STAG ) that I staged a counter attack, which destroyed a two pulsars and one archimedes, but at the cost of 3 nashorns, 1 technotrax, the scout bike, and the snake troop transport, and severe damage to other units as well... A critical failure. I made the hard decision to strand a few units while staging a general retreat to conserve whatever I can. Then after that began a desperate rolling defense using the few remaining nashorns while the other units get repaired slowly... I lasted until the UX2 came out, with my force nearly decimated... and then I began the slow, methodical rebuild and counter-offensive, finally leading to another push that won the battle.

It was so beautiful (tears in my eyes), like poetry

Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #70
citizen_lion
Talking The difference between difficut and expert

From reading the comment here that some stages are more challenging in "difficult" versus "expert", I tried playing in difficult a bit to find out what the differences are. Since the AI in BI2 does not cheat, sometimes more realistic simulations of battlefield rules like in Expert hurts the AI more than it hurts you.

The differences (that I've found so far ):
- Terrain concealment rules: Mountains block radar very well in Expert. Infantry units on a mountain is almost as detection proof as behind an Elixir. I think there is a degree of this in other terrain types too, but much less so.

- Unit occlusion rules: a unit blocks the unit behind it in Expert more than in Difficult. Having a Troll on a mountain will often block the unit behind the mountain as well, even to a radar tank.

- Crowd impediment rules: in Difficult, if you have a clear path of movement, but there is an enemy unit standing right beside this path, you can still move through. In Expert, you cannot. This works both in and against your favour. So if there is a troll unit right in front of a base you want to capture, and you see it (both the troll and the base), you still need an extra turn to capture the base because you must first move beside the troll. Sometimes this rule appears to be broken, but I think that it's actually because the scout bike has so much movement that it sometimes goes around the impediment instead.

- Vision advantage: if you "see" an enemy unit and the area surrounding it more clearly that it "sees" you, you will get an advantage in an otherwise equal skirmish. I'm not exactly sure about the mechanics of this, but I can reliably get a slightly favourable outcome by maximizing all the occlusion and jamming that I can get, while painting enemy units with radars.

- Ballistics: in Expert, the effect of ballistics changes geometrically to experience instead of linearly. This is closer to reality, as accuracy is really important in any kind of shooting regardless of the power of the warhead (anything less than nuclear). In Expert, a level 1 quasar and skull, or even pulsar or archimedes, has nearly no chance of inflicting ANY damage on any unit other than infantry. I have often failed to inflict one damage on a half-strength technotrax with a full-health pulsar level 1 unit. So basically, you cannot rely on artillery early in a battle, or in any fast push (because having to move them means that they will not level up as fast).

- Landing costs fuel: a subtle and insidious rule, but very true to life. It takes quite a bit of fuel to land an aircraft. If an aircraft is right next to its base, and there are 3 bars or fewer of red left, it will not go in even with the most favourable weather, and will die.